RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

MabG

Mar 1, 2007, 7:16 PM
Post #1 of 23 (1563 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by MabG
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

Partner brent_e

Mar 1, 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #2 of 23 (1531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MabG] Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'll bite,
but first, why the hell did you post this 4 different times???

1) types: rock, ice, bouldering, sport, trad

2) not often enough. right now it's 1 -3 times a week.

3) pretty deeply. new gear is nice. it's like any sport where new kit is another thing you can have some fun with. In the trad world it can add depth to what you can climb and how you climb it - more cams, different cams/nuts, etc. I am afflicted in a bad way, especially because i can rarely fund new swag.

4) yes. mostly insulating stuff when commuting. As well as shells, fleece, primaloft.

5) a few close friends climb, i'd say 6, and a lot of acquaintances. Split male and female, ages 23 - 34 or so.

6) introduce: a couple, 2 or 3. I've introduced more people to ice than to climbing in general.

7) I would say of the 6 closer friends i met 5 of them through climbing. 1 is from highschool.

8) age is going on 23. professional student, as in, doing undergrad.

9) religion. Athiest. I do pray to myself sometimes that pro holds.

10) Mountain biking 8 years seriousl - commute more than anything now, ride trails maybe once a month
fishing since i could stand (about 2 years old) - every weekend
photography - 6 or 7 years - weekly
Racing - build a formula style car - weekly

most of my time goes to climbing and the racecar sometimes in the other order, but my dad and i fish fairly seriously 75-100+ days a year.

11) in a gym setting? I've climbed with a taped up middle finger after tearing a tendon.

non gym - the day i tore it i kept climbing not knowing how bad the injury was. Climbed a lot outside and inside with tendonitis.

12) answered above

13) why? to get out, to be social, to climb and have some fun.

14) somtimes it was stupid, like the day i effed my tendon. Sometimes, like climbing ice this winter with a messed up elbow, the climbing and activity got rid of th einjury - it just doesn't hurt anymore.

15) I wouldn't climb much on a ruined finger tendon. I'd probably climb again with other injuries, for sure. No permanent effects.

what do i win?

MabG

Mar 1, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #3 of 23 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just trying to get as many responses as possible.
Oh and thank you!

(This post was edited by MabG on Mar 1, 2007, 7:49 PM)

Partner jammer

Mar 1, 2007, 7:53 PM
Post #4 of 23 (1502 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you want us to download the .doc file and email it to you?

MabG

Mar 1, 2007, 8:20 PM
Post #5 of 23 (1469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jammer] Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you could do that that'd be fabulous!

reg

Mar 1, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #6 of 23 (1450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sent you an email

jgloporto

Mar 1, 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #7 of 23 (1373 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

brent_e wrote:

most of my time goes to climbing and the racecar sometimes in the other order, but my dad and i fish fairly seriously 75-100+ days a year.

You go fishing 75 to 100 times a year??? What do you do for a living??? And are they hiring in that industry???

I have a whole mess of degrees if that helps.

granite_grrl

Mar 2, 2007, 1:12 PM
Post #8 of 23 (1302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
brent_e wrote:

You go fishing 75 to 100 times a year??? What do you do for a living??? And are they hiring in that industry???

He's a professional student.....and you have discovered one of the reasons for that.

granite_grrl

Mar 2, 2007, 1:40 PM
Post #9 of 23 (1285 views)
Shortcut

Re: Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did the survey and emailed it to you.

bizarrodrinker

Mar 2, 2007, 1:45 PM
Post #10 of 23 (1283 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1.My friend got me into it when he worked at a gym.
2.Bouldering, Sport, Trad
3.3-4 times a week
4.Not really. I enjoy playing with it and using it so I don’t die.
5.Absolutely.
6.Most of them of both sexes, but mostly male.
7.One or two. Male and female
8.A bunch. Male and female.
9.24, and in the pharma. Industry
10. If you consider a martial art a religion (I kind of do) then yes.
11.Snowboarding, Bass guitar (music), Mt. biking, calligraphy (art), martial arts. I have a schedule that includes all each week, unless its not winter in which case Snowboarding is out of if I have lack of funds.
12.Not so much in the gym (I don’t care for gym climbing so much). Outside I am constantly ignoring injury and pain to climb. I have several ailments that are painful like bad ankles, knees and a bad left wrist. I do sometimes, but rarely. Its usually worth every second. I would definitely do it again but really I would go back and not do the things that got me injured because they weren’t climbing related.

Partner jammer

Mar 2, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #11 of 23 (1251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sent the completed doc via email. Too bad there were not more questions about the culture. You should really re-think your questions.

Good luck ...

drunkenhighball

Mar 2, 2007, 4:01 PM
Post #12 of 23 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why would you want to exclude climbers outside of the American Northeast from your study. That approach certainly would not cover "climbing culture." Instead, by limiting your approach, you are studying climbing as an attribute of Yankee culture. Remeber that climbers, and their oddities, are not the same everywhere. Generalizing "climbing culture" by confining your research to such a small geographic area is insulting to other climbers and will lead to extremely biased results.

You should also consider asking what kind of climber thay condier themselves to be (i.e. recreational, competitor, dirtbag, etc.). It would also be interesting to know how much time people think about climbing when they can't get out. Some interesting questions might be; do you think about climbing at school/work? while your driving? druring sex? etc.

Sorry about the rant. I'm just an angry southerner trying to help biased Yanks. LOL, jk.

MabG

Mar 2, 2007, 4:09 PM
Post #13 of 23 (1215 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drunkenhighball] Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ideally I would do the things you are saying, but as this is for a class and my term is 10 weeks and my time is limited so is my study and project. So I have had to put in limitations on many things.

unrooted

Mar 2, 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #14 of 23 (1211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drunkenhighball] Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drunkenhighball wrote:
Why would you want to exclude climbers outside of the American Northeast from your study.

Because climbers in the american northeast are a very special lot. Just ask any of them when they move to boulder, they care more for the environment, they are waay different than all there metropolitan friends, they have huge bank accounts, there parents live in delaware, they drive the sweetest cars, they were born to succeed, they care more about climbing, they understand climbing better, they wear Kahedja, etc.

(This post was edited by unrooted on Mar 2, 2007, 4:12 PM)

MabG

Mar 2, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #15 of 23 (1197 views)
Shortcut

Re: [unrooted] Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, I repeat, I'm not trying to offend, i just have to limit my study so I don't go insane. If people form out of the American North east have things they want to say that they think will be helpful, go ahead, I'd be appreciative, I just don't want to be overwhelmed.

jgloporto

Mar 2, 2007, 4:37 PM
Post #16 of 23 (1187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unrooted wrote:
drunkenhighball wrote:
Why would you want to exclude climbers outside of the American Northeast from your study.

Because climbers in the american northeast are a very special lot. Just ask any of them when they move to boulder, they care more for the environment, they are waay different than all there metropolitan friends, they have huge bank accounts, there parents live in delaware, they drive the sweetest cars, they were born to succeed, they care more about climbing, they understand climbing better, they wear Kahedja, etc.

Hey f@cker, I'm not in the mood for this sh!t today... my Land Rover is in the shop and I got a kink in my neck sleeping on my big pile of money and post graduate degree diplomas.

For the record, most of our parents live in Florida... so screw you.

And it's Prana, only Prana.....

unrooted

Mar 2, 2007, 4:41 PM
Post #17 of 23 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
unrooted wrote:
drunkenhighball wrote:

Hey f@cker, I'm not in the mood for this sh!t today... my Land Rover is in the shop and I got a kink in my neck sleeping on my big pile of money and post graduate degree diplomas.

sorry man, sorry, like fuck'n eh man, I like didn't know yaguys parents lived in florida and shit, I thoughts all them rich fucka's lived in delawares and the pocono's and shit man. so fuck'n sorry man.

jgloporto

Mar 2, 2007, 4:47 PM
Post #18 of 23 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unrooted wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
unrooted wrote:
drunkenhighball wrote:

sorry man, sorry, like fuck'n eh man, I like didn't know yaguys parents lived in florida and shit, I thoughts all them rich fucka's lived in delawares and the pocono's and shit man. so fuck'n sorry man.

It's alright. I accept your apology. Just a little edgy about the Land Rover. Those assholes gave me a 2006 LR2 as loaner... how the fuck am I supposed to get around in that piece of shit. When my neighbors saw me pull into the driveway they laughed, that's right, laughed. F'in great!! Fucking Land Rover.

(This post was edited by jgloporto on Mar 2, 2007, 4:51 PM)

Partner brent_e

Mar 2, 2007, 4:57 PM
Post #19 of 23 (1164 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
brent_e wrote:

yeah, 75-100 times. depends - this year has been slower as we haven't fished in the winter as much as we usually do (as in every weekend) and last fall wasn't as busy fishing as I got into waterfowling.

Spring salmon fishing, though, we're out every weekend and drive up to a couple hundred miles in the 2 day span to get to the fish. When I had a semester off in highschool we'd go out for an hour or 2 before my dad had to go to work - start fishing at 5 or 5:30 or so and have him leave at 7 or so to get there in time. We've won a bit of stuff here and there doing it.

and no, they aren't really hiring! lol your degrees won't help, unless you can catch a mess of fish. Charters run for 4-800 or sometimes more a day!

MabG

Mar 2, 2007, 5:13 PM
Post #20 of 23 (1144 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm glad my post has become a place to tease about North Vs South and talk about fishing. Haha. My prof will be very pleased to hear about this field work. Haha.

granite_grrl

Mar 2, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #21 of 23 (1134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MabG wrote:
My prof will be very pleased to hear about this field work. Haha.

Common, true field work would be to taek the bay off to go climbing!

Wish I could have some field work with my job.

Will you be putting up the results when you're done?

MabG

Mar 2, 2007, 5:48 PM
Post #22 of 23 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Can I get some help? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, yea, most of my field work is being done at a gym in Philly. I may, haven't decided yet...

MabG

Mar 6, 2007, 5:07 PM
Post #23 of 23 (986 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thanks to every one who has sent in answers and helped me out. I've received some great responses, how ever, I am suffering form a lack of female responses...so if you are a female climber, from any part of the country I would greatly appreciate your responses to my questions. Again thank you to every one who has helped me out.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook