RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

charley

Mar 3, 2007, 8:31 PM
Post #1 of 3 (769 views)
Shortcut

bouldering in cold nw pa.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just got home from bouldering at McConnells mills state park. If you just read the tr on south seas on el cap, this wasn't near the same.
It was thirty degrees fa. out today and spitting a little snow but I had not climbed since late dec. and I was getting antsy. Some guys on here went to the mill yesterday when the sun was shining and it was near fifty so I decided to head down today. I got there about noon and talked to some guy putting his dog in the car after hiking around. He said it was snow covered and icey down there.
At the mill you pull up and park and the approach is about three minutes down one of two paths. The guy and his dog left and then came right back. He rolls down the window and says he saw my pad and since he had shoes in the car could he boulder with me. I says ok. The paths are kinda steep and rocky here and there. Add a cpl. months of snow plus some freezing rain, melt, rain, freeze, snow again and the trail is kinda slick. I was not ashamed to get down and scoot on my butt in a cpl. places.
We get down to an area that is kinda protected by being a bit of a canyon with a roof overhead. There is still snow on the ground and more slowly falling but the rock looks fine. Dam does it look good. I get my shoes on and go up the first traverse and my fingers are cold. Blow on the fingers and reverse the traverse and fingers are really cold. I warm up my hands while the other Bill does the traverse. I do a short easy overhang, downclimb, traverse, another easy overhang, downclimb, reverse the traverse, and oooooooo that feels sooo goooood. Hands are warm now and we take turns doing the traverses and overhangs and try some harder things and pretty soon an hour and a half has passed and fingers and forearms are starting to tighten up so we decide to stop. It is early in the year, we haven't climbed in awhile, and we don't want to hurt anything so we put the boots on and head out. We take the other trail out which isn't near as slippery. We shake hands at the cars and leave having spent the day with a new climbing friend. The mill is not the greatest place to climb but it is a half hour drive with a three minute approach and on a good day I can get a bouldering workout in the winter snows. Half way home the pleasant soreness starts creeping into my hands, arms, and legs. Aaawwwwwww a good day.

stonefoxgirl

Mar 8, 2007, 10:57 PM
Post #2 of 3 (733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] bouldering in cold nw pa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

congrats, I love bouldering PA. Glad you had a good day!

flowin

Mar 15, 2007, 11:09 PM
Post #3 of 3 (708 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] bouldering in cold nw pa. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sounds like fun...write another when you send the route.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook