RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

euancranston

Mar 7, 2007, 1:15 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Scotland and beyond
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

Obivously not posting anything new here, but im planning a trip to Canada and/or the States in September on my own.

I was looking for some ideas - i wont be climbing the whole time but want to plan my journey so i can get some cool climbing in.

Any ideas on where to go this time of year would be great, also probably not the most appropriate board to be posting this in but i've never been to the States/Canada, so looking for some non climbing ideas of where to visit. Dont want to be in the one place for more than 3 days!

Looking for 10 days to two weeks max.

Cheers! Smile

AlpineLogistics

Mar 29, 2007, 6:42 AM
Post #2 of 3 (965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [euancranston] Scotland and beyond [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello!

I went to the states climbing for a few months last year and can highly recommend the following:

-In California: There's loads to do in the whole Sierra Nevada...it's all granite! The Needles was my favourite place, also had a good time on Mt Whitney if you like mountain routes. You can't miss out on Yosemite NP either. Non-cl things to do in the area: Sequoia NP, Kings Canyon NP, Death Valley.

-In Wyoming: Wind River Range...stunning place. Near Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs. Devils Tower very impressive too but it's in the middle of know-where.

If you want to see some photos/trip reports: www.alpinelogistics.net

That time of year Zion NP, Red Rocks and Indian Creek also start coming into season....heard lots of good things.

Have a good time!Smile

scrapedape

Mar 30, 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #3 of 3 (939 views)
Shortcut

Re: [euancranston] Scotland and beyond [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Many places worth visiting in North America are quite far apart and it can easily take a full day (or more) to drive between places, even in the same state or province. Are you planning to rent a car? Rely on public transport? Fly domestically between destinations? For the length of trip you are looking at, I would recommend trying to focus on a single region, rather than spreading yourself too thinly. When you talk about non-climbing destinations, are you thinking more of other outdoors places, camping, hiking, etc, or are you planning to go to some cities. San Francisco is great and well worth a visit. Seattle and Vancouver are as well (they are a full day's drive from San Francisco but only 3 hours from one another). Squamish is an hour from Vancouver, and the North Cascades are accessible from both cities too, if that is your thing.

If you are thinking East Coast, the Gunks are within two hours of New York City. Boston, New York, Philly, and DC are all easily visited on the same trip and are worth the time.

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook