RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Sport Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

ipass9

Mar 15, 2007, 5:27 PM
Post #1 of 5 (880 views)
Shortcut

Bolting with PL400
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wondering if anyone has put a little PL400 in when bolting with expansion bolts? i was talking to a millwright at my work and he said he put a little on when he uses them. i thought it might not be a bad idea, its doesnt expand, i thought it might be a good insulator and you could still pound it in and cover it if you had to.
hmmmmmmm ...anyone !!
PL400 is and acoustic glue

Partner brent_e

Mar 15, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #2 of 5 (872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ipass9] Bolting with PL400 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't quite understand what purpose the PL is going to fulfill? you use the word insulator, but from what?? Rust? Are you thinking it will make the bolt stronger?

why PL 400???

PL premium seems to be a better product if you were going to use anything (it's urethane). 3M 5200 Marine sealant is a better product, still (another urethane - it's amazing stuff). It has great adhesion to almost anything but takes 7 days to cure.

ipass9

Mar 15, 2007, 5:56 PM
Post #3 of 5 (858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brent_e] Bolting with PL400 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya i was thinking as an isulator from the winter freeze thaw cycles.

Partner brent_e

Mar 15, 2007, 6:03 PM
Post #4 of 5 (848 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ipass9 wrote:
ya i was thinking as an isulator from the winter freeze thaw cycles.

hmmm....to keep water out of the area around the bolt so ice doesn't do damage?? that might not be a bad idea but i really am not sure. I don't know how much water would get in there, to start (depends on rock type), and if it did i don't know how much damage it would do. at the very least it could keep the thing from corroding. I'd use 3M marine stuff, though. it's more expensive than the PL, but it's great stuff. the 4200 stuff cures in a couple days and not 7, which might be a better option.

Brent

redpoint73

Mar 15, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #5 of 5 (838 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My understanding is that sealing an expansion bolt is usually a bad idea. Rock is porous (some rock is VERY porous), and you will trap as much water in as you keep out. Better to leave the bolt unsealed and let it drain naturally.

You will see expansion bolts with caulk around the outside, but I read somewhere (don't remember where) that this is actually a bad idea for the same reason.

That said, I've drilled an expansion bolt into rock exactly zero times in my life. So there are plenty of experienced route developers that can speak to this.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook