RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

amikros

Mar 24, 2007, 8:39 PM
Post #1 of 10 (877 views)
Shortcut

NOLS Rock& River Course
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been TRing sport routes for a little while and I've been looking at the NOLS Rock and River course in Wyoming...I was wondering if any of you had taken it...? I'd like the opportunity to learn a lot climbing-wise, and try out white water rafting, which I haven't done before...opinions??
Thaaaank youSmile

**edit**
Ooooh yea...I should mention I am looking at a backpacking & climbing trip instead...less expensive...

(This post was edited by amikros on Mar 24, 2007, 10:45 PM)

petsfed

Mar 24, 2007, 9:31 PM
Post #2 of 10 (861 views)
Shortcut

Re: [amikros] NOLS Rock& River Course [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I suppose there are worse ways to blow all of that money. You're gonna get a lot of conflicting statements on the quality of NOLS instruction. The questions I'd have, if I were you, are where is it being run? The Wind Rivers, Sinks Canyon, the Tetons, what? What water will they be running? How big is the class size? You live in Colorado, so its not like there aren't hundreds of opportunities to do this all summer.

mikitta

Mar 24, 2007, 9:42 PM
Post #3 of 10 (855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just in general and from some research I did in college for a term paper, NOLS is decent as far as mountain schools. You do pay for what you get, but their instructors have some rigorous expectations to fulfill before they are let loose on a course with paying customers - not the least of which is a full back country EMS course as well as demonstrated expertise in the courses they are teaching.

As for white water stuff - there's less expensive instruction to be had on the Colorado and Cache LaPoudre rivers in Colorado, I think - plus you would have less in the way of travel expenses, depending on where you live. :)

I know there are some guides situated near enough the Flat Irons and Black Canyon, Co to take you through stuff as well. It would be a good thing to comparison shop to make sure you get the best value for your money if you wish to take a guided course.

God Bless,
mik

amikros

Mar 24, 2007, 10:44 PM
Post #4 of 10 (842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] NOLS Rock& River Course [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I go to school in Colorado
I live in Chicago...not much opportunity there...Wink

mikitta

Mar 25, 2007, 3:56 AM
Post #5 of 10 (819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Then move to Colorado :P Who wants to live in Chicago anyway! I was born there and never want to go back!

Seriously though - do you attend in Denver or Ft. Collins? The Poudre is an excellent rafting river and there are several guide companies there. Not sure if there are many climbers in the canyon - which is sad because the rock looks ok. But the Flat Irons and Red Rocks aren't that far away :)

God Bless,
mik

petsfed

Mar 25, 2007, 7:48 AM
Post #6 of 10 (805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikitta] NOLS Rock& River Course [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's scads of quality sport and bouldering in Poudre canyon. But its the entire front range, so its not too bad.

I'd say just get on a raft trip in Glenwood Canyon then head up to the International Climber's Festival in Lander, WY. Just as educational, cheaper, and a lot more fun in my opinion.

mikitta

Mar 25, 2007, 8:06 PM
Post #7 of 10 (765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] NOLS Rock& River Course [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine took me on a Glenwood Springs raft trip for a graduation present back in '94 - it was a great time, and everyone but us on this trip were guides LOL - they were doing some spring training :) 6 weeks from now would be the perfect time to go :)

God Bless,
mik

altelis

Mar 25, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #8 of 10 (760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mikitta] NOLS Rock& River Course [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mikitta wrote:
not the least of which is a full back country EMS course as well as demonstrated expertise in the courses they are teaching.

sorry, that's just wrong

the minimum wilderness medical training required by nols is a WFR not WEMT-----a difference of about 23-25 days of training!

skidawg

Mar 25, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #9 of 10 (744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't speak for NOLS's rafting or rock climbing courses specifically, but I was on a 30day NOLS mountaineering course in the Northern Cascades (Washington). I was a (relatively) experienced rock climber prior to the course, but hadn't done any mountaineering, and NOLS was my jumpstart. In courses like that, they begin with the basics, so an experienced person would probably be bored with it in the first part. We climbed three peaks, did some minor trad rock climbing, ice climbing, crevass travel and rescue, learned some wilderness medicine, weather patterns...etc... Basically you can expect to get a detailed expereince in the course you are taking with a little extra here and there. The courses of course are made specific to their environment too though. My buddy for example took a 90day course in Alaska (30 day mountaineering, 30 kayaking, and 30 hiking) and he learned a lot about avalanch danger/rescue and methods of gathering water while we didn't have those concerns as much, and didn't really cover them that thuroughly (there were more, but those were off the top of my head)...so your location is also important.
Someone also mentioned price...yeah...NOLS is expensive, but...you do get what you pay for...just understand what you;re going for so you;'re not dissapointed. I wasn't because it got me a good kickstart into mountaineering. A year and a half ago I hadn't climbed a single mountain, but since then I've climbed 4 peaks including the Kautz route on Rainier, and plan to solo Adams in the next couple of weeks. This is getting longer than I had panned, but the last point I wanted to say is that there are courses that are so intuitive, you probably would be dissapointed if you had any esperience at all. Hiking or kayaking for example are sports that can be learned really quickly on your own....rafting...also easy basics that a couple trips with a guide could teach you...or even working for a rafting company for the summer....but if the NOLS course is going to be doing some high class rapids, then I'd say live it up....they'll teach you more than just rafting, and it will be something you'll never forget...I still keep in contact with some of my fellow buddies from my expedition. If it fits you, then do it!
cheers

mikitta

Mar 25, 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #10 of 10 (728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [altelis] NOLS Rock& River Course [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

eh, it's been 15 years since I did the research and actually talked to people in NOLS and got the information first hand. They may have changed policies in that time.

God Bless,
mik

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook