Forums: Climbing Information: Gear Heads:
Do NOT buy a Black Diamond "Cinch" Rope Bag!!!
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

shouldbeworking

Oct 15, 2004, 9:35 PM
Post #1 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Do NOT buy a Black Diamond "Cinch" Rope Bag!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Dear Everyone,
Just got a few things in the mail. New 60M bicolor rope- a steal (bought on the advice of someone posting somewhere on RC.com) and the not particularly well designed Cinch bag- Its my fault anyway- why would I buy a bag, over the internet, sight unseen? Maybe it was the nice description.
Anyway, having lived with a first generation metolius rope master- with its one shoulder carrying strap- I really wanted a bag that could be worn like a pack- so when scrambling in, it wouldn't slide around and occasionally threaten to strangle me or shift dramatically and pull me off balance and tumbling down whatever error in route finding had me third classing the wrong approach to the right crag...
In the relative safety of my living room, I unpacked the Cinch (advertised as having dual shoulder straps (to be worn like a pack) and a unique super quick closure system that would reliably store your rope, draws, harness, and maybe pet hamster between places you might be going) and checked it out. First, the Cinch is round, and designed to fold like a taco- but it is secured only by a 6 inch piece of velcro (which was designed in such a way that it would usually seal against itself on one side of the bag only, and had to be forcibly torn open to engage with the other side- annoying, but hardly as much trouble as the next feature...) So, if you put your rope and draws into a taco, and fold it and secure it on top- what will keep them, like the ground beef and lettuce, from spilling out the sides? Ah-ha! Here's the cinch part... running along the entire outside edge of the taco is a sewn tube in which a webbing loop runs. The webbing comes out near the aforementioned velco. There are two webbing loops, and where they aren't inside the tunnel they function as the shoulder straps (they are padded in this area). To get the taco to fold down and mostly hold your stuff you have to pull real hard on the webbing- this bunches together the non velcroed sides of the taco (where the meat and sour cream would fall out were you to turn your taco sideways to eat it. Now the taco is mostly secure, except that there are still holes where the webbing wouldn't pull the sides of the taco fully together. Rope, draws, and hamsters could all exit through these paired holes. Also, you've now pulled so hard on the webbing straps that the shoulder straps are about 6 feet long. If you try and put this thing on your back, your rope would either drag along behind you, or knock into your calves, were you extremely tall. If you were really tall, and could get the Cinch up off the ground, the bag would hang at a very odd angle, like an oversized trapeziodal womans purse suspended from its center on long straps...The straps could be adjusted a bit, but then you couldn't unfold the taco to manage the rope when actually climbing (as opposed to engaging in rope bag management activities).
So, the bag sucks. Don't get it. I'm going to get a nice Rope Ranger or something with real backpack straps.
PS Look for my upcoming post in the gear for sale section "Black Diamond Cinch for Sale" unused, except for living room.
PPS It does have a large velcro pocket- which seems relatively free of design flaws.

jbell2355

Oct 15, 2004, 9:37 PM
Post #2 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Re: Do NOT buy a Black Diamond "Cinch" Rope Bag!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I love your description...comparing the bag to a taco. I laughed the whole time I was reading. Thanks for the advice!

Send it back.

slablizard

Oct 15, 2004, 9:40 PM
Post #3 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL!

elvislegs

Oct 15, 2004, 9:53 PM
Post #4 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

did anyone else suddenly have an urge to go eat their rope?

musicman

Oct 15, 2004, 9:54 PM
Post #5 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha, oh man, great read, i found it especially funny after spending about 10 minutes dogging on the thing you throw in "i will be selling it shortly" or something to the effect of that, "For Sale, Cinch Bag!" (DON"T READ MY OTHER POST!) it was a great read though! had my laughing out loud :lol:

csproul

Oct 15, 2004, 9:55 PM
Post #6 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a Metolius that has backpack straps which is ok. And MEC in Canada makes a rope bag/small backpack that also has a little headpiece and a small compartment in addition to the ropebag compartment

jay07

Oct 15, 2004, 10:00 PM
Post #7 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah the last person said it perfectly. I have the Metolius with the "backpack" straps and "ok" describes it to a tee.

rjavery10

Oct 15, 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #8 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MMMMM, Rope. . . I mean taco. . .I'm confused.

slamurai

Oct 15, 2004, 10:08 PM
Post #9 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you hurry you can get the Metolius Rope Ranger from REI for $29.99.
I think it's back ordered, but you should still get the sale price.

jay07

Oct 15, 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #10 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmmm..... who decided to name a product a "Rope Ranger"?

thrillseeker05

Oct 15, 2004, 10:14 PM
Post #11 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bid $2 and a baby carrot for the Taco!

edge

Oct 15, 2004, 10:50 PM
Post #12 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's a picture of the taco, with the beef but no sour cream or guacamole.

http://www.bdel.com/...detail/cinch_bag.jpg

Partner coylec

Oct 15, 2004, 10:56 PM
Post #13 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You should submit this as a gear review!

coylec

apeman85

Oct 15, 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #14 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahaha, i couldnt stop thinking about that little buggar hampster falling out! Great description, but you may have pigeon-holed yourself on selling the thing...

ps. offer free hampsters in the sale, its surefire :wink:

Partner tattooed_climber

Oct 15, 2004, 11:09 PM
Post #15 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bahhahahahaa...

but what i think bd ment to say was "two over the shoulder straps"

hey, next time, if you're buying something you've never seen before or don't know too much about, it never hurts to ask the people of rc.com...

dredsovrn

Oct 27, 2004, 1:08 AM
Post #16 of 22 (4339 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great post. It is advertised as having dual shoulder straps, but do they say to carry as a backpack? If they do, they are definitely BSing you. Unless you are Andre the Giant, there is no way you are going to carry it like a backpack. Unless you want it to ride below your butt.

If you want a backpack, don't get one. But, for moving from sport climb to sport climb on easy ground, nothing is faster. Fold it up, pull the straps and off you go. I like the Metolius Rope Ranger if I am going to be hiking around more. The rope taco has its place, but not as a backpack. Think of it as a quick deploying gym bag for rope.

Dove

Apr 10, 2007, 5:41 AM
Post #17 of 22 (1422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shouldbeworking] Do NOT buy a Black Diamond "Cinch" Rope Bag!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It took me a long time to figure it out, but it actually does work as a back pack- you just have to put it on so the bottom of it is facing your back, then the straps are short enough to keep it from swingin around all over the place. It doesn't solve the problem of gear coming out the holes, but I just make sure everything is clipped onto one of the gear loops. This was a pretty funny post though, and I feel like kind of a jerk for pointing out that the bag can actually function as advertised. I think the main problem is in the literature for the bag- there should be an explanation for us poor apes

vegastradguy

Apr 10, 2007, 5:44 AM
Post #18 of 22 (1415 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dove] Do NOT buy a Black Diamond "Cinch" Rope Bag!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nice review- why dont you submit it in the gear guide for all folks who are checking this product out to see?

http://www.rockclimbing.com/gear/Detailed/2437.html

Partner climbinginchico

Apr 10, 2007, 6:12 AM
Post #19 of 22 (1374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Do NOT buy a Black Diamond "Cinch" Rope Bag!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm all about the OR Index Rope Bag. I submitted it, and will put a review up as soon as it's approved.

The bag rocks. It carries nicely as a backpack, or shoulder bag, has a large tarp, daisy chain, waterproof material on the outside pocket, and overall is a joy to use.

It's better for longer approaches where one person carries the rack in a pack and the other person can carry this in with the rope and food stuffed into it.

It fits my 70m 9.4 with plenty of room for food and water bottles, and carries comfortably against the back.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/...ge_accessories/34160

unrooted

Apr 10, 2007, 3:25 PM
Post #20 of 22 (1254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shouldbeworking] Do NOT buy a Black Diamond "Cinch" Rope Bag!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The cinch is great for a gym bag, I use my all the time. I would highly suggest not using it otherwise, although it may be advertised as a real rope bag it definately should be used solely for the gym. Why? The damn thing is barely big enoug to fit a 60 meter rope on, but perfect for a 35 or so meter. I like being able to drag it around the gym like a little puppy, then at the end of the 'sesh' throwing my harness, shows and chalk bag on top and folding the taco up, my actually looks very much like a taco cause my rope is brown, my shows are green and my harness has lots of yellow.

ja1484

Apr 10, 2007, 3:52 PM
Post #21 of 22 (1195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy hell that was hilarious. I haven't read such a laugh inducing gear rant in a long time.

Taco...six foot straps...love it. Nice work man.

abtisme

Apr 10, 2007, 4:01 PM
Post #22 of 22 (1174 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Dove] Do NOT buy a Black Diamond "Cinch" Rope Bag!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I hate to point this out, but did anyone happen to notice that this thread is like 2 and a half years old?

It is a pretty funny review though. I like my rope ranger when I'm using a rope bag.

-Aaron

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook