RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

srhammett

Apr 23, 2007, 3:30 PM
Post #1 of 2 (886 views)
Shortcut

Wildfire Risk - Pendleton County (Seneca Rocks etc.) Area
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi.

At 9:00 pm last nite, we were relaxing, happy and relieved that a hectic weekend at Nelson Rocks had concluded successfully, without major mishap. Saturday we'd hosted a leg of the "Endorphin Fix" adventure race with 80 via ferrata climbers, and the beauteous weather brought out another forty-some on Sunday.

That's when we got a call saying the NRP parking area was on fire! Fortunately this turned out to be somewhat innaccurate and an exaggeration. Turns out to have been a brushfire, not at the parking lot at all, but at the pull off just around the bend from the entrance station. The fire was contained along the narrow, steep steam bank between the crick and Nelson Gap Road. Erupting around 8:00, the smoky blaze was spotted and reported by neighbors some distance to the south along Rt. 28.

Apparently, it was looking impressive when the firefighters arrived. When I got there about 9:15, one truck from Circleville VFD with 25 or so volunteers had extinguished it and were soaking down the area. Many thanks to them for their cheerful service.

According to them, it was undoubtedly the result of a tossed cigarette butt, and if it had landed on, or the fire had spread to, the uphill side of the road, the steep hillside could have been engulfed before any help could arrive.

I was surprised that it could happen, after the soaking rains we had last week, but they said it happens all the time. It only look a few days of sun and breeze to create a tinder box.

So, please remember: the mountains are much more flammable than you might think. Please think twice before flicking your burning cig butts! Thanks,

Stu Hammett

(This post was edited by srhammett on Apr 23, 2007, 3:33 PM)

reg

Apr 23, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #2 of 2 (878 views)
Shortcut

Re: [srhammett] Wildfire Risk - Pendleton County (Seneca Rocks etc.) Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

hi stu - richard from baltimore here. glad that event (fire) turned out to be a non event and thanks for the update. carolyn and i want to come and bring some new peeps - will come soon - any special requirments for to have them along with us? maybe two or three at most. we both are rock climbers and been on the via many times showing new folks the via and intro to the sport. - R

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook