RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

zip_ty

Apr 29, 2007, 5:05 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1015 views)
Shortcut

Finally got outdoors...sort of
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Today was a beautiful day here in Portland. The sun was out, the air was warm, and I finally got a chance to climb outside.

The pictures aren't the greatest but I don't care. I was climbing one handed while still holding my camera so I guess they turned out okay. Here's the story.

Because this weekend was going to be very nice, my co-worker and I decided to try and get some outdoor climbing in. We had several options but since we only wanted to take a quick, couple hour, trip we decided to settle on Rocky Butte. The top of Rocky Butte has a few nice retaining walls to climb as well as a castle-like view-point. There are supposed to be a bunch of top-roping routes in the area but I have no idea where they were.

After meeting Stacey at work, we picked up one of her friends and headed to Rocky Butte. There are two roads leading up to the view-point. One going down each side. We just so happened to pick the road that was closed. We parked at the bottom of the road and hiked up to the top. It was probably near a mile but it went by quickly.

We decided to warm up on the main retaining wall that is hidden from the view of the road. After warming up we played a game of add on.

Stacey's friend started things off for us.

Then it was Stacey's turn to make her contribution.

I followed things up. Those holes from the previous picture made great holds.

We played for about 15 minutes and then decided we wanted to top out on something. After packing up all our gear we moved on to the view-point to climb the smaller walls. We took a few stabs at climbing different sections of the smaller walls. It was nice because we could climb an arete, face, or chimney within 5 feet of each other.

Here's Grey finding her way up.

This one was perfect timing. When I made my move for the top my right foot slipped off it's hold. I caught myself but barely.

After climbing we all hiked back down the road and headed home. All in all it was a great day. Nobody got hurt and everyone had fun.

paulbehee

Apr 29, 2007, 7:51 AM
Post #2 of 3 (981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zip_ty] Finally got outdoors...sort of [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Fun in the sun. nothing much better than that!

jt512

Apr 29, 2007, 3:31 PM
Post #3 of 3 (944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zip_ty] Finally got outdoors...sort of [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, if you close your eyes that place almost looks like Ceuse.

Jay

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook