Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 87 Next page Last page  View All

charley

May 11, 2007, 12:18 PM
Post #1126 of 2156 (8908 views)
Shortcut

Re: [victor999] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was told by the doc after eye surgery that I could climb but not hard. I climb hard on a 5.4. When the other eye is finished and he is releasing me I will ask him if I can climb 5.10 now. It will be early june before I can climb hard again and I am not climbing at all for a week after each surgery. If you don't know I am getting cataract surgery and the first one went well. I can see the speedometer and odometer and have 20/20 again. I get the second eye done on the 23rd. Has Claire seen anyone about her knee yet. Will they have to scope it.

(This post was edited by charley on May 11, 2007, 12:20 PM)

microbarn

May 11, 2007, 12:30 PM
Post #1127 of 2156 (8905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill, glad to hear things are going well with the surgery. Hopefully you will find all the hidden jugs on the 5.10s so that you can send them in another month.

I think we are all curious of Claire's progress. Please keep us updated when there is news.

victor999

May 11, 2007, 1:24 PM
Post #1128 of 2156 (8897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill- glad to hear your surgery went well. good luck on the next one. by july we should be swapping pitches on El Cap, eh?

Claire has an MRI next tuesday, and a follow-up next Thursday. She saw the doctor earlier in the week, but without the MRI, all he could say was "something is definitely torn."

She's hobbling around the house, and bummed about not climbing. She appreciates everyone's words of encouragement.

cheers,
victor

chronicle

May 11, 2007, 1:50 PM
Post #1129 of 2156 (8894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill, also glad to hear the surgery went well. Can't wait to do a 5.10 with you this summer!

migelpalmero

May 13, 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #1130 of 2156 (8856 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know it is a little far off, but I need to start planning fun stuff. May 5-6 I was thinking about going to Lost Crag. I will remember to bring up the question closer to then, but I am looking toward going to Lost Crag. Hopefully someone else would be able to go too. I would love to learn the shorter upper parking lot entrance. Mark, maybe I could get you to come show it to us?

Sorry... missed this post a few weeks back... here's upper lot directions to Lost Crag: (all measurements are guesstimates...) Continue on Dunbar-Ohiopyle Rd. past the road heading to the lower lot (like you are heading to Krahlick) ... drive past Kingan Rd. (road to Krahlick) and around the extremely sharp bend and continue toward Ohiopyle... about a mile or so after the sharp bend there will be a State Game Lands gravel/dirt road (2 or so miles from lower lot) on your right... turn there... follow gravel road until you come to a gate and can go no further... park... time to hike... from the gate hike on the road until you come to a stand of large Pine trees on left and a pile of large stones on right (about 1/2 mile from gate) make a right after the stones onto a grassy old road/clearing... follow grassy road for a couple hundred yards and look for a small stone cairn on right side marking the beginning of the trail into the woods... from there just follow the stone cairns to the crag... takes about 30-40 min from the gate... I added a few cairns along the way to mark the trail better... not sure it's shorter but it's definitely easier than up that damn mountain ...lol... any questions just ask...

(This post was edited by migelpalmero on May 13, 2007, 11:12 PM)

markc

May 14, 2007, 1:54 PM
Post #1131 of 2156 (8835 views)
Shortcut

Re: [migelpalmero] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

migelpalmero wrote:
Sorry... missed this post a few weeks back... here's upper lot directions to Lost Crag: (all measurements are guesstimates...) Continue on Dunbar-Ohiopyle Rd. past the road heading to the lower lot (like you are heading to Krahlick) ... drive past Kingan Rd. (road to Krahlick) and around the extremely sharp bend and continue toward Ohiopyle... about a mile or so after the sharp bend there will be a State Game Lands gravel/dirt road (2 or so miles from lower lot) on your right... turn there... follow gravel road until you come to a gate and can go no further... park... time to hike... from the gate hike on the road until you come to a stand of large Pine trees on left and a pile of large stones on right (about 1/2 mile from gate) make a right after the stones onto a grassy old road/clearing... follow grassy road for a couple hundred yards and look for a small stone cairn on right side marking the beginning of the trail into the woods... from there just follow the stone cairns to the crag... takes about 30-40 min from the gate... I added a few cairns along the way to mark the trail better... not sure it's shorter but it's definitely easier than up that damn mountain ...lol... any questions just ask...

Thanks for that. I used to be able to make my way on the upper trail pretty easily, but a friend and I couldn't manage it on our last trip. It was my one and only time running into a rattlesnake out there. Too long between visits, and it seemed very different from what I recalled (which isn't always the fault of the place).

Edited to add: You might be right about the overall distance and time, but I'm happy to avoid that uphill slog any day of the week.

(This post was edited by markc on May 14, 2007, 1:55 PM)

chronicle

May 15, 2007, 5:41 PM
Post #1132 of 2156 (8808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in for the rendevous. My wife told me to go, so that made it easy.

Anybody else going down Thursday evening or Friday morning? I'm willing to drive, but can only take one person. Definitely willing to pay for my share of gas if people want to car pool.

truello

May 15, 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #1133 of 2156 (8800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chronicle] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going down Wednesday night but another one of my friends (Cory 724-712-9235) is meeting us down there Thursday evening. Yes I am volunteering his services out :). He'll be coming down 79 from Slippery Rock-ish area, but perhaps you two could save each other some gas money.

If any of you WPA people want to meet up, give me a call. 724-822-9243.

Speaking of -- i'm new to the Gorge. How is cell reception there? Can I rely on it or should I bring some walkies?

microbarn

May 15, 2007, 8:10 PM
Post #1134 of 2156 (8794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

truello wrote:
Speaking of -- i'm new to the Gorge. How is cell reception there? Can I rely on it or should I bring some walkies?

Cell reception is good except when you are blocked by the cliffs themselves. This is rare.

I am now a little sick. I am babying myself to ensure I am better by the weekend. Let's cross our fingers.

truello

May 15, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #1135 of 2156 (8785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nothin' cures the flu like a weekend of climbing and beering.

tanderson

May 16, 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #1136 of 2156 (8774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any of those just learning the upper way into the Lost Crag. The overall hike from the upper lot is usually 20 min. for a quick hiker and about 30 if your working off a rough night. Nice and flat (i.e. no hills) KINDA takes the fun out of it. Wink

I figure the lower way is a right of passage for local climbers. It wasn't nearly that easy when I found it. I didn't even know the logging road was there to come up. I hiked (bushwacked) almost 4 hrs to make it from the bottom up to the rocks. Machete and my dog, the hike in was grueling. I discovered the logging road upon reaching the top of the hill and used it as a descent on my way back to the lower parking lot. After that initial death march, we decided the upper way mandatory and the upper trail was sought out and cut. I really wasn't interested in carrying 90lbs of climbing and bolting gear up that hill every other day. Enjoy the upper trail!

Just a little climbing history for the crowd.

microbarn

May 16, 2007, 1:55 AM
Post #1137 of 2156 (8765 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tanderson] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tanderson wrote:
Any of those just learning the upper way into the Lost Crag. The overall hike from the upper lot is usually 20 min. for a quick hiker and about 30 if your working off a rough night. Nice and flat (i.e. no hills) KINDA takes the fun out of it. Wink

I figure the lower way is a right of passage for local climbers. It wasn't nearly that easy when I found it. I didn't even know the logging road was there to come up. I hiked (bushwacked) almost 4 hrs to make it from the bottom up to the rocks. Machete and my dog, the hike in was grueling. I discovered the logging road upon reaching the top of the hill and used it as a descent on my way back to the lower parking lot. After that initial death march, we decided the upper way mandatory and the upper trail was sought out and cut. I really wasn't interested in carrying 90lbs of climbing and bolting gear up that hill every other day. Enjoy the upper trail!

Just a little climbing history for the crowd.

Thanks for the story! And even more so, thanks for the routes!

I hope your summer is going well.

mountainman

May 16, 2007, 5:17 AM
Post #1138 of 2156 (8752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim deserves more thanks than he ever gets for the incredible amount of work- time and money- that he's spent developing climbing areas in Western PA.

His unselfish devotion to the climbing community is laudatory. Lost Cove and Breakneck are just two examples of what he can do.

truello

May 16, 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #1139 of 2156 (8742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountainman] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed! I met him at Breakneck on Saturday and had to describe him as a "local climbing celebrity" to my girlfriend who wouldn't have understood otherwise Tongue.

mountainman

May 17, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #1140 of 2156 (8709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim is a most kind and friendly man. He wants his partners to climb to their best, and to do it safely.

On my best day, I can only climb several levels below him, but he never makes me feel bad for it. He truly wants everyone to have a good time out on the rocks

victor999

May 17, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #1141 of 2156 (8704 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Update: Claire had the MRI on Tuesday evening and saw the doctor today. Doc says good news--only the medial collateral ligament was torn; the ACL and the meniscus are ok. There was a good deal of bruised bone, but that along with the medial collateral ligament heal up on their own--no surgery required. She'll be down for 4-6 weeks and seeing a physical therapist to regain her range of motion (her knee is very stiff), but should be climbing 5.10s by mid-July. Wink

mountainman

May 18, 2007, 1:02 AM
Post #1142 of 2156 (8696 views)
Shortcut

Re: [victor999] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Victor,

That is excellent news, and an excellent prognosis. Hope to see you and Claire out soon.

chronicle

May 21, 2007, 2:34 PM
Post #1143 of 2156 (8637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill, how was NH? Did you get out much? Marlene and I had a great time at the New. She did her first and second trad leads. She also did her hardest sport lead to date.

microbarn

May 21, 2007, 2:41 PM
Post #1144 of 2156 (8635 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chronicle wrote:
Bill, how was NH? Did you get out much? Marlene and I had a great time at the New. She did her first and second trad leads. She also did her hardest sport lead to date.

Awesome to hear about Marlene! How did you do? Did you enjoy your weekend at the NRR?

I didn't have the best climbing days, but the partying was great.

I took the crack climbing clinic on Sunday. I was really disappointed. Brittney and Josh were the two clinic leaders. We got started really late. They strung up 2 climbs. Then they left to drink more. They didn't even stay long enough for everyone in the group to get on the climbs and get feedback or help.

So, while I do have 2 more crack climbs under my belt....I got nothing out of the clinic.

chronicle

May 21, 2007, 3:08 PM
Post #1145 of 2156 (8630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That sucks. I was going to sign up for that clinic, but bailed when I saw that they were running late. I jumped on the Self Rescue Clinic, led by Arthur and Diane from the Gendarme. There were six of us total and they took the time to go over everything multiple times for several people. Great clinic. We learned a lot, and most of us want to take the 2 day course they have.

My climbing was on par for a normal outing. I didn't push into a new grades, but did flash a sport climb at my hardest grade. I'm ready to up the ante and move into hard 5.11 or 5.12.

All-in-all, a great weekend. I really had no disappointments what-so-ever.

chronicle

May 22, 2007, 12:29 PM
Post #1146 of 2156 (8595 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's everyone doing for Memorial Day weekend? I was thinking of heading to Seneca or the New.

boo

May 22, 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #1147 of 2156 (8595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [HarklessDO] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yo harkless,

tionesta
clarion...

we had a camp in kelletville and my mum was from templeton.

hardly anyone even understands the word tionesta...

microbarn

May 22, 2007, 12:43 PM
Post #1148 of 2156 (8593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chronicle wrote:
What's everyone doing for Memorial Day weekend? I was thinking of heading to Seneca or the New.

I would love to go down with you, but I will be in Florida. They don't have any rocks, but they do have this thing called a 'beach'. We'll see how that goes.

truello

May 23, 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #1149 of 2156 (8551 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of my weekend is occupied due to my cousin getting married but Monday we have plans to get out to Lost Crag if its not wet and if we can find this upper entrance Smile.

NRR was a great time. Awesome people and events, and the climbing was OK Tongue. Got to do 3 days in the Gorge and stopped at Summersville briefly on the way home Sunday. All areas were pretty packed on Saturday and Sunday but we were still able to get a decent bit of routes in. I thought I'd recognize you, microbarn, from pictures and say hello but must not have seen you.

I'm going to Trinidad & Tobago starting next weekend. I think I'm going to pack my shoes just incase I see any sweet bouldering or sea cliffs.

microbarn

May 23, 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #1150 of 2156 (8549 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

truello wrote:
Most of my weekend is occupied due to my cousin getting married but Monday we have plans to get out to Lost Crag if its not wet and if we can find this upper entrance Smile.

NRR was a great time. Awesome people and events, and the climbing was OK Tongue. Got to do 3 days in the Gorge and stopped at Summersville briefly on the way home Sunday. All areas were pretty packed on Saturday and Sunday but we were still able to get a decent bit of routes in. I thought I'd recognize you, microbarn, from pictures and say hello but must not have seen you.

I'm going to Trinidad & Tobago starting next weekend. I think I'm going to pack my shoes just incase I see any sweet bouldering or sea cliffs.

speaking of missing people....I am fairly certain that I was sitting around the campfire with chronicle, and I think my brain forgot to make the connection. Sorry about that. It wasn't until I put it together that you were with Marlene and from Pittsburgh.

If this happens again in the future, please beat me over the head Phil.

Trinidad and Tobago could be really cool even without climbing! Have a great trip.

First page Previous page 1 ... 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 ... 87 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook