RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

kriso9tails

Nov 7, 2001, 9:57 PM
Post #1 of 16 (3649 views)
Shortcut

How do you scan slides?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anybody know how to scan slides????

I think we should start a climbing photography forum so that people can get help with stuff like this. I think climbing photography is almost a sport in its own rite.

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2001-11-09 20:57 ]

downshift

Nov 8, 2001, 1:54 AM
Post #2 of 16 (3649 views)
Shortcut

How do you scan slides? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At work we have this device... Actually it's an attachment that fits on to our scanner that feeds slides to the scanner. It scans, changes the demension, reverses the colours and converts it to a file format. I'll find out what scanner software we're using it may be able to help.

kriso9tails

Nov 8, 2001, 4:04 AM
Post #3 of 16 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard of such a device, but I have no idea what it's called of how much it costs.

downshift

Nov 8, 2001, 4:12 AM
Post #4 of 16 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its called a slide scanner or something quite similar... I see if it has a name on it. We also, have a device that scans negaitves, but no one has ever used it.

kriso9tails

Nov 8, 2001, 4:31 AM
Post #5 of 16 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow! I checked online for slide scanners. Both Nikon and Polaroid run between $2000 and $3000. Ouch.

However, Burlington isn't far at all from Hamilton, so now I know where to steal one from... I mean uh...

Thanks for the info.

saltspringer

Nov 13, 2001, 8:21 AM
Post #6 of 16 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a Hewlett-Packard S20 slide scanner & it's perfect for web applications: it also scans negatives & prints up to 5x7. The more expensive scanners tend to be necessary if you want to make prints larger than 5x7 where resolution becomes very important & file sizes go into the 100's of MB's! For web presentation, the HP is great & I've paid for it about five times over with the amount of scanning I do...

jmlangford

Dec 30, 2001, 12:44 AM
Post #7 of 16 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have an HP flatbed scanner you can get a slide-scanner attachement from HPShopping.com for about 80 bucks. The problem is that it scans very poorly and this is probably due to the fact that it is an add-on. I gave up on mine and I am in the process of shopping for a slide-specific scanner. For now, I'm sending my slides to The Slideprinter in Denver to have prints made and then I scan the prints. Good luck!

kriso9tails

Dec 31, 2001, 8:25 PM
Post #8 of 16 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just recently there was a guy at the local camera store displaying their slide scanners (Minolta I think) for around $700 (Cdn). The quality looked pretty damn good, but the files are huge for the highest resolution. I guess I'd probably just scan them and delete them as soon as I was done with them anyways though.

summerprophet

May 17, 2007, 9:16 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] How do you scan slides? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are sevices that will clean and scan your slides for $0.50 a slide or less, with better results than you or I could get (unless your computer and scanner are in a dust free environment). Painless and considerably cheaper than picking up a slide adapter.

You can find them on the net.

majid_sabet

May 17, 2007, 9:19 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

0.25 per slide , send it to me with paid shipping, I will do it

guangzhou

May 17, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] How do you scan slides? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I send my rolls of slide film to MPIX, they develop the film and scan the slides. They then send me the whole thing at once. Easy and a much better job then I could evr do.

Eman

rhain

May 17, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are now a whole lot of low end scanners that come with the slide and negative scanners built in (we have an HP one at work that scans pictures badly but slides really well)

the other place i would try is dedicated camera stores or places that develop films still, a lot of those places will be able to scan and burn them to cd for you reasonably quickly and cheaply

microbarn

May 17, 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
I think we should start a climbing photography forum so that people can get help with stuff like this. I think climbing photography is almost a sport in its own rite.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...gforum.cgi?forum=62;

(This post was edited by microbarn on May 17, 2007, 10:37 PM)

allimac

May 17, 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhain] How do you scan slides? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got this one:
http://images.google.com/...Microtek+FilmScan+35
Works fine, not expensive, but a "time eater".....

Exampels:
http://homepage.mac.com/...li/PhotoAlbum59.html

But hey, it's not like digitals photos...

pico23

May 18, 2007, 12:02 AM
Post #15 of 16 (2291 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote "kriso9tails"]Does anybody know how to scan slides????

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2001-11-09 20:57 ][/quote]

I wanted to say this thread was a bunch of trolls but..

Slides have been scannable for about 10 years. Gradually film scanners got better and better and cheaper and cheaper.

Today, you can get something that rivals the very best commercial scanners for a few hundred dollars.

My $200 Minolta Scan Dual III has been great. It's a bit slow but it outputs 10MP images suitable for 11x14 prints. It has a Pixel Polish mode that eliminates some dust and scatches but is best left off as it tends to soften the images a bit without doing much. I clean my slides with compressed air and or some film cleaning fluid. My negatives get dipped and squeegeed in water.

For $100-200 more you can get a model with digital ICE which eliminates dust and scratches using IR scanning. It doesn't soften the images but doesn't add anything to a relatively clean negative for the added cost. It's not usable on B&W or on Kodachrome.

If you have anything truly magnificent you can send out the very best of your scans for a wet drum scan which as about as much resolution as you can reasonably achieve from a slide. In theory about 20-30MP from Provia 100F (perfect exposure, tripod, supersharp lens).

I'm eventually picking up something like the Epson 700 flatbed. this scans at a much lower 35mm dpi then the Minolta, Nikon or Canon dedicated scanners but it allows much faster bulk scanning. I'd like to digitize ALL my negatives and something like the 700 would allow me to digitize about 15 frames per scan vs. scan dual where I get 6 frames per batch scan.

The downside is my output would only yield about 5x7 prints. The upside, all those nice images I have on film would be available to the digital world.

If you shoot both MF and 35mm then a flatbed like the Epson is a good option since it outputs excellent medium and large format images.

kriso9tails

Jun 28, 2007, 9:47 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2138 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] How do you scan slides? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy crap. This thread is from six years ago, back when I was still in high school. I think i had probably just shot my first roll of chrome ever... i wonder if i still have the pictures kicking around.

It's hard to believe there was a time when I didn't know what a slide scanner was. Somehow, in that time, I've gone from not knowing what Photoshop was to being a commercial photographer.

It makes me smile to think it wasn't that long ago that I was really just starting out. It's also odd to think how much rc.com has changed in that time too.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook