RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

Partner christsay

May 25, 2007, 2:25 AM
Post #1 of 6 (987 views)
Shortcut

soill climbing in mid august?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

hey, I'm heading home to champaign-urbana in mid august from austin for a quick visit and I might be driving instead of flying. Does it make sense to try and get some climbing in while I drive right past all the southern illinois climbing or will it just be too freakin hot and humid?

For reference I was at HCR over july 4 last year and it felt great compared to austin, except for the ticks.

looking for mostly sport or bouldering.

-chris

jderrick

Jun 17, 2007, 3:40 AM
Post #2 of 6 (922 views)
Shortcut

Re: [christsay] soill climbing in mid august? [In reply to]
Report this Post

I hit soill in a mid october and it was almost too cold. if you are in the area, might as well climb; if the rock is too hot, hit up the chancellors barn

flatlandtrav

Jun 17, 2007, 6:37 AM
Post #3 of 6 (912 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I have been there in August before. If you go to a place like Jackson Falls you would be fine. Plenty of shade to keep cool.

cornstateclimber

Jun 26, 2007, 3:34 AM
Post #4 of 6 (859 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

illinois in august sucks cant see jackson being any different. Just have to pay attention to the heat index. Humidity can really tear you up there. Unless you like sweating profuseley for fun. But you never know it was 64 degrees this past weekend wich for the past 6 years has been 95. so I say if you want to climb do it , or keep driving. Nevr hurts to check it out....

climbhigh2005

Jun 26, 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #5 of 6 (835 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I hit up So Ill last August on my way to CO... spent about 5 days up there and climbed 1.... the ticks were terrible.... the humidity was outrageous... and the storms never ended... good luck!!!

zaphodbeeblebrox

Jul 29, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #6 of 6 (742 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

im a local boulderer, and i went out to j-falls on the 26th of july and sent 6 new problems ranging from v0 to v6. that should answer your question as to what can be done in the summertime around here. if u can pull, u can pull. thats it. i would certainly advise u, however, to give weather.com a thorough checking before u plan anything. and obviously, early morning after the dew dries is going to be your best bet. say around 8:30-10:30 for the best balance of temp. and humidity. if your plans dont allow for the morning thing, then bring a good fat brush, lots of chalk, and lots of water, because yes--it will be hot and humid. no doubt about it. oh...about the chancellors....this will be the worst place to climb during the day. everything will spin & it will be more hot and humid(think enclosed space w/ no AC) than anywhere outside. if u hit this place up, go after its been dark for like 2 hours or u might find ur wasting time. ......peace.

(This post was edited by zaphodbeeblebrox on Jul 30, 2007, 6:56 AM)

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook