No, the helmet is fine 3 / 23%
13 total votes

JAB

May 28, 2007, 10:47 AM
Post #1 of 19 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Should I replace my helmet?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Yesterday I managed to drop my helmet from the top of a route at the local crag. It fell about 12 meters (40 feet). I didn't see it land, but the ground is mostly rocky, so I assume it hit a rock. There is a small surface scratch at the front of the helmet that I assume is from the impact (not sure, though). There is no visible physical damage to the helmet.

The model is a BD Half Dome, and only about one year old.

My question is, should I replace it? I know very well that according to the manufacturer instructions I should, but on the other hand, I would like to hear if anybody actually knows of helmets (with hard plastic shells) cracking more easily after previous hits? And even though it fell from quite a height, the impact might not be so huge, as there was no head inside the helmet. Smile

Partner climbinginchico

May 28, 2007, 11:01 AM
Post #2 of 19 (1240 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Should I replace my helmet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you trust it to adequately protect you?

Partner drrock

May 28, 2007, 12:16 PM
Post #3 of 19 (1218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you need the contents of your head for anything?

I guess I would get a new one if I were you.

skinnyclimber

May 28, 2007, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 19 (1163 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would get a new one. Not really that expensive anyway, and as I just put my helmet to the full test last weeked (maybe I should post in injuries and accidents) I would want mine in the best possible condition.

Obviously for me I got my 60 bucks worth out of it, so I don't mind getting a new one, but you probably feel a bit cheeted as yours only got dropped. Yeah it sucks, but hey there's a 60 dollar lesson for you. Clip things to things... people drop stuff.

Don't read on if you don't want to hear my story....
9 days ago I pulled off a huge 200 pound flake that landed on my head and tore me up pretty good. I fell about 10 feet before it hit me...I was *fine*. I didn't get knocked out and I rappelled the fisrt two pitches of the route under my own power, although I had my buddy drive us home... But the foam craked all the way through in one area. Without a helmet it would have been much worse, I would have probably lived, but it may have been a rescue situation. That foam must be in good condition to protect your dome. Obviously there is no question that mine is being retired, but yours you think may be ok. Well it *may* ok, but honestly 59.95 for peice of mind is enough for me.

That helmet may be called upon to take some serious pounding, and you don't want it to have a slightly weakend spot of foam that you couldn't see.

My old helmet is now a bucket I use to carry my odwalla bars and cliffshots. The new one should arrive tomorrow.

and man my friggin neck is sore!!

JAB

May 29, 2007, 5:42 AM
Post #5 of 19 (1080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skinnyclimber] Should I replace my helmet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems the answers were pretty much what I expected, and off to the gear store I go. Maybe I will do an ad-hoc drop test of the old helmet with a water melon in it and see how it performs. Tongue

the_climber

May 29, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #6 of 19 (1042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, let me get this right.... You dropped your helmet? From the top of the climb? And it was on your head? Right? But you didn't hit the ground?
Who are you.... Mr. Gadget or something!?Sly

Seriously, it's good that you're replacing it man. Important piece of gear. They can take a lot, but if your not 100% sure you trust it those belays where the leader calls a frantic "R O C K !" can get a little scary. Not to mention Skinny's tale of terror.

dr_feelgood

May 29, 2007, 6:26 PM
Post #7 of 19 (1017 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Should I replace my helmet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

speaking of helmets. Not a big fan of my current Elios, and looking at getting another one. How do people like the half-dome and the ecrin roc?

the_climber

May 29, 2007, 6:51 PM
Post #8 of 19 (1006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Should I replace my helmet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The ecrin roc is a great helmet. My experiance with the half dome is that the harness system is not Ideal (maybe they've changed it) and it took about a years worth of use to get it to sit straight all the time. You should consider checking out the Grivel Helmets too. They fit nice and are overall pretty sweet... but I've always liked grivels stuff.

granite_grrl

May 29, 2007, 6:56 PM
Post #9 of 19 (1000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nathan doesn't seem to have a problem with the Half Dome, but the new harness system cuts into the back of my head (which is why he has been getting stuch wearing my helmet as I wear his). I have to see if there's some way to pad the back of this helmet.

the_climber

May 29, 2007, 7:10 PM
Post #10 of 19 (983 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Should I replace my helmet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

GG you should check out the Grivel's if you get a chance. The couple I tried on were great.
And they come in different colours/graphics...

Sadly they don't have the Free Tibet one anymoreFrown

granite_grrl

May 29, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #11 of 19 (973 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've just got to spend time trying on every helmet I get the chance too. I've got a weird shaped head, and even Nathan's Elios doesn't seem to quite fit me either. Too bad that my usual selection to try on is just what MEC carries.

JAB

May 30, 2007, 5:35 AM
Post #12 of 19 (930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
So, let me get this right.... You dropped your helmet? From the top of the climb? And it was on your head? Right? But you didn't hit the ground?
Who are you.... Mr. Gadget or something!?Sly

Not really. I was at the top setting up a top rope anchor. It was a hot and sweaty day, so I had taken off the helmet and put it aside, and somehow I managed to catch the strap of the helmet with a sling, and off it went. Blush

Stupid n00b mistake, but to my defense, it was the first time I dropped anything in my short (3 years) climbing career.

the_climber

May 30, 2007, 4:31 PM
Post #13 of 19 (884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man dropping shit happens. Just thought it would be funny to put it the way I did.Laugh

I think it was Sean Issac who dropped the shell of one of his boots in the middle of a new route on the North Twin a few yeas back. They still finished the climb with a poon red-green'd to the boot liner. (we really need that :robert: smiley back... the one with the bandana)

deadhorse

May 31, 2007, 8:08 PM
Post #14 of 19 (820 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"a poon red-green'd to the boot"
I dont know what a red green poon is. Not even kind of. You must be SOOO canadian.

OP: I've got to say, i think replacing it because of a drop is silly. It's a helmet thats made to absorb the impact of rock and your body, so no matter HOW high it fell from the impact couldn't even compare with a short fall of yours WITH your dome in it. Of course, if its something thats gonna get to you when you need confidence the only thing you can do is replaced it. To me it's the same faulty rationale that says an ATC needs to be replaced after being dropped off a climb. I mean come on, you know? How safe are we really trying to be?? Tongue

the_climber

May 31, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #15 of 19 (798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deadhorse] Should I replace my helmet? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:
I dont know what a red green poon is. Not even kind of. You must be SOOO canadian.

Yes I'm very Canadian. Proud of it to... just you yank's tend not to understand everything I say.Cool

poon = Crampon
Red-Green = Red Green is a TV show. Mind you it is very Canadian, but it is funnier than watching a 3 legged cat tring to f%@k a football. Anyways the fix and/or build almost everything on the show with duct tape.

So in short, he duct taped a crampon to his boot liner to complete the climb the walk over 16km out on the Columbia Ice Field and back to the car.

You know what they say "If you cant duct it F%@k it!"

(This post was edited by the_climber on May 31, 2007, 9:14 PM)

alpinismo_flujo

May 31, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #16 of 19 (785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deadhorse wrote:
OP: I've got to say, i think replacing it because of a drop is silly. It's a helmet thats made to absorb the impact of rock and your body, so no matter HOW high it fell from the impact couldn't even compare with a short fall of yours WITH your dome in it. Of course, if its something thats gonna get to you when you need confidence the only thing you can do is replaced it. To me it's the same faulty rationale that says an ATC needs to be replaced after being dropped off a climb. I mean come on, you know? How safe are we really trying to be?? Tongue

Please tell me you are just trolling us?

medicus

May 31, 2007, 9:12 PM
Post #17 of 19 (774 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

F*uck You if you are being serious in any way.

Edited to quote-
deadhorse wrote:
I've got to say, i think replacing it because of a drop is silly. It's a helmet thats made to absorb the impact of rock and your body, so no matter HOW high it fell from the impact couldn't even compare with a short fall of yours WITH your dome in it...To me it's the same faulty rationale that says an ATC needs to be replaced after being dropped off a climb. I mean come on, you know? How safe are we really trying to be?? Tongue

(This post was edited by medicus on May 31, 2007, 9:17 PM)

primus

May 31, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #18 of 19 (751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_climber wrote:
deadhorse wrote:

Yes I'm very Canadian. Proud of it to... just you yank's tend not to understand everything I say.Cool

poon = Crampon
Red-Green = Red Green is a TV show. Mind you it is very Canadian, but it is funnier than watching a 3 legged cat tring to f%@k a football. Anyways the fix and/or build almost everything on the show with duct tape.

So in short, he duct taped a crampon to his boot liner to complete the climb the walk over 16km out on the Columbia Ice Field and back to the car.

You know what they say "If you cant duct it F%@k it!"

Shite! I'm not Canadian and I think the Red Green Show is hilarious! I have to admit though, when you first said "poon" I thought of something very different...Shocked

stymingersfink

Jun 1, 2007, 11:53 PM
Post #19 of 19 (697 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IF, FOR ANY PIECE OF GEAR, FOR ANY REASON, YOU FEEL THE NEED TO ASK, the answer is...

YES!

(be sure to destroy the one you are replacing, regardless of what piece of gear it might be.)

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook