Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

salimp

Jun 15, 2007, 5:05 AM
Post #1 of 24 (5550 views)
Shortcut

Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Echo_Cliffs: Left_Flank)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

the top anchors on both routes "bushwacked & B-line" (Echo-Left Flank) are getting worse and worse...they are loose...looks like i t can come any day...everybody knows about it and keeps climbing...is there anybody with the gear to put a new top anchors...it may save somebody's life ...

sal

tansofun

Jun 15, 2007, 3:32 PM
Post #2 of 24 (5534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salimp] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hey sal
i emailed safeclimbing.org and troy mayer
thanks for the heads up

tripperjm

Jun 15, 2007, 4:05 PM
Post #3 of 24 (5522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tansofun] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Who you need to talk to is Louie Anderson (socalbolter). He either placed the bolts or knows who did. In any case, Louie is a stand up guy, easy to talk to and will get the job done.

socalbolter@cox.net

or pm socalbolter on this site.

tansofun

Jun 15, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #4 of 24 (5503 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i got a reply from troy, he said he's forwarded to somebody who'll look into it

mperlick

Jun 15, 2007, 7:19 PM
Post #5 of 24 (5490 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salimp] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sal:

I just wanted to add that the anchors have tracks that are worn half way through. Eventually they're going to break off.

salimp

Jun 16, 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #6 of 24 (5467 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mperlick] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thnks to all of you guys...another friend contacted Loui and i think Loui said he is OK if somebody fixes it. I am not pro on that but i believe there are several options; to replace the bolts using the same holes or epoxy the existing ones and/or drill one or two more holes next to them if it is OK to drill holes...
Tan, i will e-mail you my friends e-mai to pass to it your friend ... i believe between them we will have the enough gear to do the job...
i feel much better :))have a good weekend :))

(This post was edited by salimp on Jun 16, 2007, 3:46 PM)

papa_eos

Jun 16, 2007, 4:56 PM
Post #7 of 24 (5448 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

salimp wrote:
Loui said he is OK if somebody fixes it.

Why doesn't Louie do it himself if he put up the route? Or if he didn't , at least get the person who did to take a look at it.

Typical, carpet-bagging route setters, bolt the crap out of a place and move on, usually never coming back again.Mad

caughtinside

Jun 16, 2007, 5:16 PM
Post #8 of 24 (5443 views)
Shortcut

Re: [papa_eos] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

papa_eos wrote:
salimp wrote:

Why doesn't Louie do it himself if he put up the route? Or if he didn't , at least get the person who did to take a look at it.

Typical, carpet-bagging route setters, bolt the crap out of a place and move on, usually never coming back again.Mad

Let me see if I understand you correctly...

If a guy puts up a route that gets climbed and enjoyed by hundreds of climbers, to the point that the anchors need to be replaced, he has a continuing obligation to return when contacted, use his time, money and effort to replace the gear?

Sheesh. There are probably a few local climbers there who know how to replace anchors.

Carpetbagger route developers. LOL!

roughster

Jun 16, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #9 of 24 (5430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [papa_eos] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

papa_eos wrote:
salimp wrote:

Someone needs to to bitch-slap you. Instead of being appreciated about the effort and $$ that was put into developing the route, you have the fucking nerve to bitch about it not being maintained indefinitely by the developer?

Why don't you get off your lazy ass and do it?

(This post was edited by roughster on Jun 16, 2007, 6:46 PM)

tansofun

Jun 16, 2007, 6:58 PM
Post #10 of 24 (5422 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

salimp wrote:
Tan, i will e-mail you my friends e-mai to pass to it your friend ... i believe between them we will have the enough gear to do the job...
i feel much better :))have a good weekend :))

troy mayer is the guy that put together the so cal sport climbing guide. wish he was my friend and would let me dog up all sorts of routes he set up :P

I think the proper people have been alerted and necessary things are in motion, whoever fixes it.

socalbolter

Jun 16, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #11 of 24 (5411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

papa_eos wrote:
salimp wrote:

I'm not going to defend my actions other than to say that I've added many hundreds of routes to the SoCal area. It's my hope that people have enjoyed these routes and that I've provided them with alternate choices when planning their outings.

I try to plan and place my anchors with ease of ultimate replacement in mind. The routes in question however were not bolted by me and the person who bolted them now lives in New York.

I'll do what I can to make sure this gets addressed, but I don't feel responsible to put in 6 hours of drive time and give up a day of climbing elsewhere just to fix some anchors that I did not even place. I really hope that your opinion and attitude on this topic is not the way it appears, and that you are far in the minority when it comes to public opinion.

pylonhead

Jun 17, 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #12 of 24 (5386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalbolter wrote:
I really hope that your opinion and attitude on this topic is not the way it appears, and that you are far in the minority when it comes to public opinion.

I hope so too, and as someone who loves climbing on bolts in socal, I would like to show my appreciation for all the work and money you've put in developing crags.

salimp

Jun 17, 2007, 6:11 AM
Post #13 of 24 (5358 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pylonhead] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

please stop that blaim stuff on this thread..
i put this message just to warn fellow climbers
i did not mean to create a finger pointing blaming conversation.
I can only thank people like Loui Anderson for the hardwork they did and apologize from him because that message got him involved in something that he does not deserve.
Also i liked climbing because typically this community has a more positive attititude than any other sports...please let us keep it that way.
if anybody wants to be helpfull, please just pass the message until it is fixed. if you can fix it that is even better
In reply to:

tallmark515

Jun 19, 2007, 4:31 AM
Post #14 of 24 (5299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey sal,
I'm waiting to hear back from Louie about the bolt size. If I remember correctly they are half inch. Once I hear back from him maybe we can split the cost for new bolts and chains. the RAWL stainless 1/2" bolts are about $10-15 per bolt + another $6 per stainless hanger w/ rap-ring.

We'll also need to get a 1/2" bit for my drill, currently I only have a 3/8" bolt.

I'll keep in touch! How many anchors are bad? 2?

socalbolter

Jun 19, 2007, 8:09 PM
Post #15 of 24 (5272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallmark515] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

After emailing with Mark, it sounds as though he is going to replace the bad anchors on these routes.

A big "Thank You" to him for this. Over the coming years, many anchors and bolts placed in the early years of sport climbing's development are going to be coming of age and the need for this type of repair will become more commonplace. I have replaced many anchors and bolts over the years and challenge all those knowledgeable in bolting to be prepared and willing to do the same in the future.

Thanks again to Mark and whoever else may be involved in this and thank you to the OP for bringing this to our attention.

- Louie

tallmark515

Jun 19, 2007, 10:45 PM
Post #16 of 24 (5253 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks again Louie! Sal, the bolts are 3/8", which means we don't need to buy anything because I already have all the hardware, perhaps we can go out there this weekend and replace the anchors.

-mark

salimp

Jun 20, 2007, 2:58 AM
Post #17 of 24 (5229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tallmark515] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good news :)). tnhks Mark. you are the hero of the month. it is so weird that i posted a reply yesterday about anchor size (Louie's response) but i believe i must have forgetten to post reply:))

Anyway, i will check with others as we were planning to climb this weekend but if not this weekend, i can go next weekend.

sal

tallmark515

Jun 20, 2007, 3:46 AM
Post #18 of 24 (5215 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

salimp wrote:
good news :)). tnhks Mark. you are the hero of the month.
sal

Do you think that you get me a trophy?!
:)

-mark

salimp

Jun 20, 2007, 1:56 PM
Post #19 of 24 (5198 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey mark,
we will think something and we can turn this into 4th of July climbing event and you can get your throphy then :))

do you think we need another person experienced in bolting & placing anchors. I have no experience on that and it might be a good idea that somebody cross checks what is going in. You probably know what you are doing but i do not. We better be safe rather than "sorry". What do you think ?

Tan, maybe your friend can also join us, any luck with that ??

sal

tallmark515

Jun 20, 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #20 of 24 (5182 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't think it'll be a problem. I should be able to take care of it myself, I'll probably do it this Sunday if I end up climbing locally (which I probably will),

-mark

tallmark515

Jun 24, 2007, 2:16 AM
Post #21 of 24 (5103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Update! I will be climbing at Echo tomorrow (Sunday) and if everything goes as planned, by the end of the day there will be some shiny new rap-ring anchors at the top of the route and if I catch ANYONE top-roping through the new anchors I will personally beat the crap out of them.

-mark

(This post was edited by tallmark515 on Jun 24, 2007, 4:03 PM)

tallmark515

Jun 25, 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #22 of 24 (5070 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

B-Line anchors replaced, new holes were drilled (couldn't reuse old ones) and some brand new (plated) rap ring hangers were added.

Anchors on other routes still look ok.

See attached pic! BTW, rope is running through the rings because I was about to rappel down, NOT TOP ROPE.
Attachments: bolts rope.jpg (105 KB)

socalbolter

Jun 25, 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #23 of 24 (5055 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mark -

Thank you for doing this. We all appreciate it.

One thing though. Can you camo paint them next time you're out there. That particular route (and wall) is directly across form the Mishe Mokwa hiking trail and those new anchors will catch the sunlight and shine like you would not believe.

Rustoleum has a line of spray paint called American Accents (or something like that). One of the colors is called Nutmeg and it seems to match the rock out there very well. It's what we used on all of the anchors and hangers that we installed there.

Thank you again for doing this.

- Louie

tallmark515

Jun 25, 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #24 of 24 (5050 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Echo-Left Flank-loose anchor at bushwacked & B-line routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socalbolter wrote:
Mark -

Thank you for doing this. We all appreciate it.

One thing though. Can you camo paint them next time you're out there. That particular route (and wall) is directly across form the Mishe Mokwa hiking trail and those new anchors will catch the sunlight and shine like you would not believe.

Rustoleum has a line of spray paint called American Accents (or something like that). One of the colors is called Nutmeg and it seems to match the rock out there very well. It's what we used on all of the anchors and hangers that we installed there.

Thank you again for doing this.

- Louie

no prob.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook