RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Unas

Jun 19, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1775 views)
Shortcut

What's my next step?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am a noob just getting into climbing. I have taken a course on belay. I am scheduled to start a beginner's techniques class on july 10. The only book I have read so far is John Long's How to Rock Climb.My goal is to gear up and go on some outdoor climbs within the next couple of months. I would like some suggestions on what my next step should be. By the way, I haven't found any partners.

catskillshiker

Jun 19, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1742 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Unas] What's my next step? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats good you are taking a class.

You can start in a gym if there is one around, and you can meet partners there. Purchase your basic gear if you have not done so already (harness, belay device, locking carabiner, shoes, ect.)
Mountaineering, The Freedom of the Hills is a great book to pick up as well.

Keep reading so you have an idea what is going on at beginners technique class.

creemore

Jun 19, 2007, 5:40 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1721 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With an indoor course, just make sure you listen. Tag along with the most experienced people in your class and listen. Then practice, train and keep practicing. Make yourself worthy to have a mentor. Listen to him/her. Pay for the beer, then listen some more.

Oh and then make sure you follow whatever gear list they give you to the line....your gonna get it all eventually anywayWink

nicodeemus

Jun 19, 2007, 7:49 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1692 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're in the gym often, you will eventually find a partner. The best thing to do if you are by yourself is to work the bouldering walls. As long as you don't go too high, you can work on your style and technique by yourself safely. You will almost always find someone else bouldering by themselves. As long as you're approachable and friendly, you should be able to start meeting people. It's always a good idea to try and hook up with someone better than you so that you can learn from them.

coastal_climber

Jun 19, 2007, 1:07 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1653 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nicodeemus] What's my next step? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Start in the gym first, get to know what you are doing. If you really want to go outside soon, get a guide or an experienced person to go with.

>Cam

mikebarter387

Jun 19, 2007, 4:02 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://youtube.com/...e?user=mikebarter387

Go to my site watch all 77 videos twice then go get a job with AAI

Mike

zionvier

Jun 19, 2007, 6:49 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Freedom of the Hills is a great book... It seems like every time I pick that book up I learn something new, and I've had it for years.

Go pick up a book on climbing knots, Freedom of the Hills has a section on knots also, can't remember the name of the book I have, and a quick browse through amazon didn't show it, but I'm sure your local REI or climbing gym or store will have or know of one. Then find some rope, even if it's cheap stuff from HomeDepot and practice tieing knots. Figure 8 is obviously one that you should know without even thinking about it (you should be able to do it blind folded with your feet while you're having sex) Then move on to others that are commonly used.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...orum.cgi?post=980096

felt I should add this in after I posted..... if you use some cheap rope to practice tieing knots with from HomeDepot, please don't think that you should use it as a climbing rope. The news already likes to relate dumb hikers that "scramble" up rocks with no gear and die to rock climbers. No need to help them out with a climber dieing because of the wrong gear.

(This post was edited by zionvier on Jun 19, 2007, 6:54 PM)

Partner j_ung

Jun 19, 2007, 6:53 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1593 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you already have the next step lined up. You'll probably meet others in your class. Ask this same question to your instructor.

And welcome aboard!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook