RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

samhell

Jun 29, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #1 of 9 (4019 views)
Shortcut

Slackline Newbie - with questions???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey everyone.
I just recently discovered the fine art of Slacklining.
I went to the store today and bought:

(1) 30ft piece of 1" webbing
(2) 12ft pieces of 1" webbing (Anchors)
4 Oval Caribiners

I'm wondering if 30ft is enough to get started with.
And will 4 biners be enough for a primitive system.
I searched and I seems yes. I weigh aorund 165-170lbs.
What's the rule with length of line for a beginner?
Thanks for any help.

(This post was edited by samhell on Jun 29, 2007, 4:25 AM)

skidawg

Jun 29, 2007, 4:45 AM
Post #2 of 9 (4001 views)
Shortcut

Re: [samhell] Slackline Newbie - with questions??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got into slacklining a little bit ago too...fun stuff. 30' will probably be ok (I have 60' but I went overboard on length for other applications if I need it...I always have too much extra). In addition, the longer the line is, the more sway you will get...so it's been my experience that the shorter, the easier it is. Check out this video, this is how I set mine up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18qbgwCn2ZA

This setup uses 5 biners...4 for a mechanical advantage system on one side, and another to anchor on the other. One thing to note that I didn't know beforehand...DO NOT use these biners or webbing for climbing after they have been used for slacklining. The tension on a slackline is extreme (see below picture of dead tree I accidentally pulled over)...and will change the biners and webbing, making them unsuitable for climbing (if you're into that).
cheers,
Justin

(This post was edited by skidawg on Jun 29, 2007, 4:47 AM)

kr0g3r

Jun 29, 2007, 7:10 PM
Post #3 of 9 (3971 views)
Shortcut

Re: [skidawg] Slackline Newbie - with questions??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

skidawg wrote:
I got into slacklining a little bit ago too...fun stuff. 30' will probably be ok (I have 60' but I went overboard on length for other applications if I need it...I always have too much extra). In addition, the longer the line is, the more sway you will get...so it's been my experience that the shorter, the easier it is. Check out this video, this is how I set mine up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18qbgwCn2ZA

This setup uses 5 biners...4 for a mechanical advantage system on one side, and another to anchor on the other. One thing to note that I didn't know beforehand...DO NOT use these biners or webbing for climbing after they have been used for slacklining. The tension on a slackline is extreme (see below picture of dead tree I accidentally pulled over)...and will change the biners and webbing, making them unsuitable for climbing (if you're into that).
cheers,
Justin
[image]http://photos-795.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sf2p/v76/31/96/10707795/n10707795_33774148_9107.jpg[/image]

dude, you pulled over a dead tree with your slackline!?!? were you on it when it happened?

and, a side note... dead trees are bad anchors... if you havent already realized it Laugh

skidawg

Jun 29, 2007, 7:27 PM
Post #4 of 9 (3960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kr0g3r] Slackline Newbie - with questions??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh...yep, I was on the slackline when it happened, and thanks for the advice, but look at that sucker...it's freakin' huge, didn't think I would have trouble with it (also didn't think it was that dead). Good thing it didn't land on me...it did nearly miss my bike and smash my helmet though Crazy

samhell

Jun 29, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #5 of 9 (3946 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skidawg, thank you!
I've been searching the forums and reading up as much as I can. and watching some videos. Thanks for the link to the video, he sure makes it look simple and easy.
I've decided to go to the store today and I'm going to buy a 50-60 piece of 1", 30' may be a little short to tighten it up with. And I'm going to pick up a 5th biner so I can set it up like he does in the video. I'll be going to the park tomorrow and try setting it up for the first time and see what happens. I can use the 30' piece for anchors and such...
Thanks..
That's pretty crazy about that tree. You must of had some tension happening there... Glad you're OK.
My goal is to get good enough to do some full on slack surfing.. I'm a die hard skateboarder and longboarder, I'm into slalom, downhill and other crazy activities on a board... I want to use slacklining as a balance tool and training tool.. I'm really stoked to have found this beautiful thing..

skidawg

Jun 29, 2007, 7:56 PM
Post #6 of 9 (3937 views)
Shortcut

Re: [samhell] Slackline Newbie - with questions??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Heh...no worries...yeah it's definitely great for balance. Enjoy
cheers,
Justin

kr0g3r

Jun 30, 2007, 1:13 AM
Post #7 of 9 (3905 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

skidawg wrote:
Good thing it didn't land on me...it did nearly miss my bike and smash my helmet though Crazy

That is one messed up helmet (did you have to dig it out of the ground?), i'm really glad you took pictures. but ya know, a smashed helmet is loads better than a smashed head.

skidawg

Jun 30, 2007, 2:18 AM
Post #8 of 9 (3898 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kr0g3r] Slackline Newbie - with questions??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, a little digging was in order, but it was for the helmet, not a part of me....so I can't complain too much.Wink

samhell

Jul 1, 2007, 12:18 AM
Post #9 of 9 (3853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, we went to the park today and found two nice big trees about 35ft apart.
We successfully set it up with no problems, and got the line pretty damn tight, when I stood in the middle with al my weight it was about 7" off the ground.
Next time I'll try a closer span like 25'.
It kicked my a$$...
After trying to balance on one foot, I built up the confidence to put both feet on the line.
After about 2-3 seconds the line was swaying from side to side, and it flung me off straight out to the side, I knocked the wind out of myself, pretty hard..
But I am determined to master this... After about one hour at it today, I am very sore and I can feel the workout.. It kicked my butt, 100%..
I'm hooked, even though I completely $uck...
Thanks

(This post was edited by samhell on Jul 1, 2007, 12:19 AM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook