Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 87 Next page Last page  View All

microbarn

Jun 29, 2007, 2:24 PM
Post #1226 of 2156 (9363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [victor999] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Glad to hear you are both back. It is also good to hear there weren't any major problems with the easy climbs.

victor999 wrote:
We'll be in Texas Wed-Fri, but we're thinking of doing easy stuff at Seneca the weekend after the 4th (7-8th). So that's our plans in a nutshell. We hope everyone else is getting in some great climbing!

What part of Texas? Are you going to be doing any climbing? If you want, I have guidebooks to Enchanted Rocks, Reimer's Ranch, and somewhere else. They are all local to Austin though. It could be a long drive if you are in Houston, Dallas, etc.

microbarn

Jun 29, 2007, 2:28 PM
Post #1227 of 2156 (9362 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tanderson] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tanderson wrote:
Interesting post re: Spruce Hollow. I didn't think I'd ever hear of that place again. I KNOW who owns the property and she has kicked people out on many, many, many occasions. Especially back in its popular days. i.e. Fred from Exkursion taking classes there in the early to mid 90's. There is definately a reason that place got shut down for good and its funny how most "local" climbers really don't know it. Stories do get twisted and here's a case right here. Regarding this extremely local crag for me... She's definately not climber friendly and the crag is still closed after all these years (at least to climbers). R.I.P. Spruce

It is good to hear the real story. Thanks for filling us in.

I suppose we should take the lesson and treat Woodland's closure with respect.

victor999

Jun 29, 2007, 2:36 PM
Post #1228 of 2156 (9359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dan- we'll be in Dallas/Ft. Worth. Short trip, Wed afternoon to Friday afternoon, but we plan on hitting the big Grapevine Summit climbing gym on Thursday and playing Wii with the kids and my dad at all other times, it appears.

i did a little research, though, and next time we go down, we'll probably head to Oklahoma for a couple days.

(This post was edited by victor999 on Jun 29, 2007, 3:27 PM)

charley

Jun 29, 2007, 5:27 PM
Post #1229 of 2156 (9349 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear Victor. Maybe we will see each other at seneca. I'm not going to far this weekend. At eighty dollars per round trip to seneca or the new I have to stay local once in awhile. My wife did get a nice raise at work with more responsibility and more time so maybe I can get her to pay for some gas. Fat chance of that.Laugh

victor999

Jun 29, 2007, 5:33 PM
Post #1230 of 2156 (9346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gas is getting ridiculous.

On the 7th and 8th (Sat-Sun) we'll be sans kids, so we'd have room to carpool with a couple of people to save on gas.

victor

charley

Jun 29, 2007, 5:53 PM
Post #1231 of 2156 (9342 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The last two weeks gas at the sheetz when you get off 79 on 33 was 2.79 I'm sure that will change for the fourth. I will check on the internet though.

microbarn

Jun 29, 2007, 5:55 PM
Post #1232 of 2156 (9341 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and I remember when breaking a $1/gal was a big deal.....guess I am getting old when I start saying things like that.

markc

Jun 29, 2007, 6:10 PM
Post #1233 of 2156 (9338 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
and I remember when breaking a $1/gal was a big deal.....guess I am getting old when I start saying things like that.

Have I mentioned lately I love owning a Prius? It might not be ideal for some climbing trips, but it's no trouble for Seneca!

microbarn

Jun 29, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #1234 of 2156 (9334 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that hurts...I had a prius until about 3 weeks ago.Frown

Wife and I both agreed we had to get rid of her car (nissan pathfinder that was falling apart)

I was adamant that we have only one car.
She was adamant that we have a .... subaru??? Where that came from I have yet to figure out.

so, I had to lose my prius, but she gets her subaru. Marriage is all about the give and take and give between a husband and wife. Sly

Good news is that I have been able to point out the advantages of a prius every time we fill up.

I think I get to choose the next vehicle, and I found a place that sells biodiesel nearby.

markc

Jun 29, 2007, 6:32 PM
Post #1235 of 2156 (9331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
I was adamant that we have only one car.
She was adamant that we have a .... subaru??? Where that came from I have yet to figure out.

See what happens when you get married? They should put a warning label on marriage license applications. There's nothing wrong with a subaru other than the mileage. I have friends that really love them.

We don't use our second car a lot, but it's good having the Jeep when we need it. We dream of getting a 4wd diesel truck when the Jeep dies and converting it over to biodiesel. Nothing like crunchy with off-road capabilities.

mountainman

Jul 1, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #1236 of 2156 (9309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Did my first 5.10 lead today, New School at Breakneck.

It was extremely well rehearsed, over two years, before I dared do it.

No one to witness it but the Hungarian Count. So no photos. Still a milestone, although it's possible it's my last 5.10 lead.

truello

Jul 1, 2007, 5:58 AM
Post #1237 of 2156 (9307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountainman] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats! The 5.9 to 5.10 jump is definitely a big one because its the double digits. I tried the same one but had to hang dog it, its tricky! Well done.

microbarn

Jul 1, 2007, 10:54 AM
Post #1238 of 2156 (9301 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mountainman] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mountainman wrote:
Did my first 5.10 lead today, New School at Breakneck.

It was extremely well rehearsed, over two years, before I dared do it.

No one to witness it but the Hungarian Count. So no photos. Still a milestone, although it's possible it's my last 5.10 lead.

don't count yourself out on leading another.... Smile If you decide another 5.10 is important to you, I am sure you could lead another.

congrats though!

Did you go left, right, or straight over the bulge?

migelpalmero

Jul 1, 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #1239 of 2156 (9287 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It is good to hear the real story. Thanks for filling us in.

Funny thing is... I had just logged on to mention that what I had said about spruce hollow was most likely wrong... I told my wife yesterday about my post about Spruce Hollow ... she's a physical therapist and was treating the spruce hollow lady when I had the chance talk to the woman... I think like 4 or 5 years ago... anyway my wife's response to my post was "You realize almost everything you wrote was wrong..." I was like, huh? She said that the woman did mention the parking problem...but my wife didnt know where I got the other stuff... heresay probably?... and that the only other thing she could remember the lady saying was that climbers and partyers ruined the rocks on her property... sorry guys, I feel bad about the bogus info... and thanks for straighting things out tim... Tune in next week, when I tackle White Rocks... is it closed or open?... whichever it is I'm sure Ill be wrong about it...lol..

truello

Jul 2, 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #1240 of 2156 (9272 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

tanderson wrote:
We've made some good trails and have mapped everything we've done so far. I've been writing it as a mini guide for those interested in getting a copy. It contains an overall map and problem descriptions. I'd be more than willing to share the info.

If this guide is complete would you mind posting it here?

Thanks Tim.

tanderson

Jul 4, 2007, 2:53 PM
Post #1241 of 2156 (9227 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Like I said, I'd like to share info. with anyone that wants to check it out. I only have an original copy of whats been put together so far. Its updated almost daily with our recent surge in activity. I can make photocopies of the hand drawn and written info. on this quickly developing area to give out. In one month we've established over 60 new problems and havn't even scratched the surface. I would love to share, but the deal is... If you want a copy of the current info, you'll have to get photo copies from me in person. I figure thats not too much to go through for anyone looking for a free guidebook and directions to one of the hottest new bouldering areas in SWPA. I know I can Pdf it and all, but I really don't mess around with my website and this stuff anymore. (too busy out climbing). I like the personal touch of meeting climbers and circulating the info. via personal interaction. Anyone that wants one, get in touch and we can make arrangments to meet up and I'll give you a copy. Hope this helps out.Smile

mountainman

Jul 4, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #1242 of 2156 (9224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So let's go climbing Thursday.

truello

Jul 5, 2007, 2:08 PM
Post #1243 of 2156 (9202 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't mind checking the area out on Sunday, will you be in the area?

mountainman

Jul 6, 2007, 12:57 PM
Post #1244 of 2156 (9183 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Western Pennsylvania Climbers Forum [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We were out Thursday, in the rain. Happy to say that 'Broadway' has been extended out from the Darkside all the way past all the big overhangs to Stairway to Heaven.

It was a trailbuilding day, but a good 'un.

I have other plans for Sunday, but Tim may be available.

tanderson

Jul 8, 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #1245 of 2156 (9143 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by tanderson [In reply to]
Report this Post

charley

Jul 9, 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #1246 of 2156 (9122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had a great weekend at seneca in spite of the heat. I did some very easy climbs. I saw Victor, Claire and Terry. Good to see that Claire is back on the rock again.

victor999

Jul 9, 2007, 1:24 PM
Post #1247 of 2156 (9114 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey!

I finally feel like our climbing season is underway! We were at (the mostly empty) Seneca sat and sun-- hey Bill- good to see you! -- where I did my first Seneca trad leads: Pooh's corner, Heffalump corner, and old ladies route. Had a blast. I think Claire is going to write a little trip report, so I'll post a link to our blog when she finishes it. It was her first time to climb at Seneca. She did really well. I just can't believe that the place was sooooo empty.

Cheers,
V&C

chronicle

Jul 9, 2007, 1:25 PM
Post #1248 of 2156 (9112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Missed out on a great weekend to climb. I planned on putting brakes on my truck Friday night, then heading to Seneca Saturday morning. The brake job went into Sunday!!! I would up sheering off one of the caliper guide pins, cut it off with grinder, and spent a total of 6 hours trying to get the bolt/pin out. What should have been about an hour total turned into one big cluster!

Although I now I have new hubs, rotors (the rotors on my truck are the whole hub assembly, I'd like to find the engineer that designed that and punch him in the mouth), inner/outer wheel bearings, brake pads, calipers and guide pins. So I'm not TOO disappointed.

markc

Jul 9, 2007, 1:30 PM
Post #1249 of 2156 (9107 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
Had a great weekend at seneca in spite of the heat. I did some very easy climbs. I saw Victor, Claire and Terry. Good to see that Claire is back on the rock again.

We climbed at Seneca on Friday, and ran into very few people. The temps were great, but the wind was really heavy at times. It was my first time out with one of my partners in ages, so we had a fairly mellow day on easy classics. My partner had to return for a wedding on Saturday, so I spent the rest of the weekend with my wife's family in Deep Creek.

markc

Jul 9, 2007, 1:34 PM
Post #1250 of 2156 (9103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

victor999 wrote:
hey!

I finally feel like our climbing season is underway! We were at (the mostly empty) Seneca sat and sun-- hey Bill- good to see you! -- where I did my first Seneca trad leads: Pooh's corner, Heffalump corner, and old ladies route. Had a blast. I think Claire is going to write a little trip report, so I'll post a link to our blog when she finishes it. It was her first time to climb at Seneca. She did really well. I just can't believe that the place was sooooo empty.

Cheers,
V&C

It was empty Saturday and Sunday, too? I'm sorry I didn't stick around! I've been there over similar 4th of July weekends when it's been packed. It's funny that my partner and I picked the one route with someone just starting the pitch on Friday. They only did the first pitch, and we had lots of time, so we just sat back and enjoyed the day for a little while, then geared up.

First page Previous page 1 ... 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 87 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook