andypro

Jul 21, 2007, 2:26 PM
Post #1 of 20 (1201 views)
Shortcut

M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice"
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so...this thread:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1635288;page=unread#unread

Is getting out of hand and while interesting on a number of points, doesn't belong in Alpine and Ice, so I'm hoping the posters will be willing to move it here Tongue

It's funny how I always hear about how the M16 sucks, but really only from people who don't know an M16 or AK47 from a hole in the wall. They are two of the best and most prolific weapons on the planet. Honestly I dont see why they have to be compared the way they are. Lets cover some points...

First the M16:

Pros:
  • light

• Very Accurate

• low recoil

• fires at a high velocity*

• reliable as long as properly maintained**

• *The higher velocity means it maintains it's penetrating power long throughout the flight path, the bullet flies in a flatter trajectory relative to distance, and a lighter bullet can be used and still maintain an effective killing power

**It MUST BE KEPT CLEAN!

Cons:
  • somewhat unreliable if not maintained properly

• relatively complex mechanism makes maintenance more difficult

• Now how about the AK47:

Pro's:

• very hard to get a serious stoppage without actually breaking parts

• hits harder within it's effective range due to larger bullet

• simple mechanism makes maintenance almost brain free

• overall simplicity means anyone from the average 5 year old to the average 85 year old can learn to use it properly in no time at all

• so prolific that finding ammo or parts anywhere in the world means a trip to the local market

• Cons:

• heavy

• inaccurate at longer ranges

• larger ammunition meaning you can carry less per pound of load

• slower muzzle velocity so the trajectory is not as flat making aiming outside 100-150 meters take thought

• VERY distinctive sound when fired, possibly drawing fire from everyone carrying an M16 within earshot

• Some inaccuracies addressed in the other thread by someone who has probably never fired either weapon:

1) The M16 is more prone to jamming than the AK47: Not true, provided the M16 has been properly maintained. In a "pound for pound" lack of maintenance, however, the AK will run longer without stoppages than an M16, all other things being equal.

2) The AK47 has more penetrating power: This, again, is not true. It has more stopping power, and more destructive power close in because of it's larger bullet and cartridge, but there is a difference between penetration and stopping/destructive power. The smaller high velocity bullet of the M16 will out penetrate the larger, lower velocity bullet of the AK47 almost every time.

3) The AK47 is more accurate: Ok, this one flabbergasts me. I know the Marines (my old branch) train to shoot at much longer distances than the army does, but come on? Anyone who has fired both weapons will immediately be able to tell that the M16 is VASTLY superior in accuracy. I regularly shot to 550+ meters point target with an M16. I could hit 300 meters off-hand. With an AK, I had to REALLY try to hit the same sized target at 150 meters off hand, and the overall effective range is really only about 300 meters. This is just..well..I don't know where the hell that one came from.

4) This one may jsut be misunderstanding proper terminology on the posters part, or perhaps just complete misunderstanding of what you actually do with rifles...but; You can carry the AK47 in mud and water without having to "rebuild" it (compared the the M16). Well, yes and no. First, you don't rebuild a weapon in the field. I dunno what they do now (it's been 10 years) but we sure didn't carry extra parts for our weapons in the field. Second...if your weapon was clean to begin with, and your carrying it properly using prohylactic techniques, you sure as hell can drag an M16 through mud and still have it fire when you pull the trigger. It will still need to be cleaned shrotly afterwards because the act of firing works grime into the inner workings, but it WILL fire when you need it. And if you break it down and clean it, it will be jsut fine. No rebuilding needed. As for water? Has no effect. I don't know why that would even be brought up. Any water left in the rifle will be forced out within the first few rounds and there will be lotsa steam but that's all. No detriment what so ever.

Ok...start discussion and/or flaming...wait for it.....waaiitt for it...now!

--Andy P

coastal_climber

Jul 22, 2007, 1:15 AM
    Post #2 of 20 (1164 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [andypro] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

andypro wrote:
    Ok, so...this thread:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1635288;page=unread#unread

Is getting out of hand and while interesting on a number of points, doesn't belong in Alpine and Ice, so I'm hoping the posters will be willing to move it here Tongue

It's funny how I always hear about how the M16 sucks, but really only from people who don't know an M16 or AK47 from a hole in the wall. They are two of the best and most prolific weapons on the planet. Honestly I dont see why they have to be compared the way they are. Lets cover some points...

First the M16:

Pros:
  • light

• Very Accurate

• low recoil

• fires at a high velocity*

• reliable as long as properly maintained**

• *The higher velocity means it maintains it's penetrating power long throughout the flight path, the bullet flies in a flatter trajectory relative to distance, and a lighter bullet can be used and still maintain an effective killing power

**It MUST BE KEPT CLEAN!

Cons:

• Now how about the AK47:

Pro's:

• very hard to get a serious stoppage without actually breaking parts

• hits harder within it's effective range due to larger bullet

• simple mechanism makes maintenance almost brain free

• overall simplicity means anyone from the average 5 year old to the average 85 year old can learn to use it properly in no time at all

• so prolific that finding ammo or parts anywhere in the world means a trip to the local market

• Cons:

• heavy

• inaccurate at longer ranges

• larger ammunition meaning you can carry less per pound of load

• slower muzzle velocity so the trajectory is not as flat making aiming outside 100-150 meters take thought

• VERY distinctive sound when fired, possibly drawing fire from everyone carrying an M16 within earshot

• Some inaccuracies addressed in the other thread by someone who has probably never fired either weapon:

1) The M16 is more prone to jamming than the AK47: Not true, provided the M16 has been properly maintained. In a "pound for pound" lack of maintenance, however, the AK will run longer without stoppages than an M16, all other things being equal.

2) The AK47 has more penetrating power: This, again, is not true. It has more stopping power, and more destructive power close in because of it's larger bullet and cartridge, but there is a difference between penetration and stopping/destructive power. The smaller high velocity bullet of the M16 will out penetrate the larger, lower velocity bullet of the AK47 almost every time.

3) The AK47 is more accurate: Ok, this one flabbergasts me. I know the Marines (my old branch) train to shoot at much longer distances than the army does, but come on? Anyone who has fired both weapons will immediately be able to tell that the M16 is VASTLY superior in accuracy. I regularly shot to 550+ meters point target with an M16. I could hit 300 meters off-hand. With an AK, I had to REALLY try to hit the same sized target at 150 meters off hand, and the overall effective range is really only about 300 meters. This is just..well..I don't know where the hell that one came from.

4) This one may jsut be misunderstanding proper terminology on the posters part, or perhaps just complete misunderstanding of what you actually do with rifles...but; You can carry the AK47 in mud and water without having to "rebuild" it (compared the the M16). Well, yes and no. First, you don't rebuild a weapon in the field. I dunno what they do now (it's been 10 years) but we sure didn't carry extra parts for our weapons in the field. Second...if your weapon was clean to begin with, and your carrying it properly using prohylactic techniques, you sure as hell can drag an M16 through mud and still have it fire when you pull the trigger. It will still need to be cleaned shrotly afterwards because the act of firing works grime into the inner workings, but it WILL fire when you need it. And if you break it down and clean it, it will be jsut fine. No rebuilding needed. As for water? Has no effect. I don't know why that would even be brought up. Any water left in the rifle will be forced out within the first few rounds and there will be lotsa steam but that's all. No detriment what so ever.

Ok...start discussion and/or flaming...wait for it.....waaiitt for it...now!

--Andy P

Who cares Eh?

>Cam

justafurnaceman

Jul 22, 2007, 3:17 AM
    Post #3 of 20 (1156 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Of course it matters. (At least to us gun nuts.)

The difference between the Ak and the M16 comes down to what one is looking for in a weapon. Are you trying to take longer shots? Do you want one that needs less maintenance? A faster bullet? A heavier bullet? That's what you have to base your decision on.
    You can't go hunt an elephant with a .22 nor would it be wise to hunt squirrels with a 300 H & H. (at least if you wanted to cook them up afterwards).

jred

Jul 24, 2007, 2:15 AM
    Post #4 of 20 (1100 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [justafurnaceman] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

What exactly are you planning to shoot with your automatic weapon? Bad guys, animals, children.

lovesclimbing

Jul 24, 2007, 7:28 PM
    Post #5 of 20 (1077 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [jred] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Personly I find a bit more comfort in the idea of a 7.62 rather than a 5.56 such as the diffrence between an FN and C7/C8/M16. Howerver with the strengths of an FN I think out weigh the other weapons with the weight diffrence. Aside from FIBUA and trench clearing I dont think that a fully auto weapon is supper neassary in a full sec or pl with support weapons. When in a FIBUA setting the lighter round will asist in preventing friendly fire/non-combantant kills.

notch

Jul 25, 2007, 12:35 AM
    Post #6 of 20 (1062 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [lovesclimbing] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

lovesclimbing wrote:
    Personly I find a bit more comfort in the idea of a 7.62 rather than a 5.56 such as the diffrence between an FN and C7/C8/M16. Howerver with the strengths of an FN I think out weigh the other weapons with the weight diffrence. Aside from FIBUA and trench clearing I dont think that a fully auto weapon is supper neassary in a full sec or pl with support weapons. When in a FIBUA setting the lighter round will asist in preventing friendly fire/non-combantant kills.
    I sincerely hope that your aim is better than your spelling.

lovesclimbing

Jul 25, 2007, 1:06 AM
    Post #7 of 20 (1057 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [notch] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Hey, I have been doing pretty damn good so far in life but thanks for reminding me that I forgot spell check Wink

petsfed

Jul 25, 2007, 3:26 AM
    Post #8 of 20 (1044 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [lovesclimbing] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

lovesclimbing wrote:

US forces actually experienced a doctrinal shift after they switched to the 5.56. It was slow, it was subtle, but it happened. It went from trying to be reasonably accurate with fire, to suppressing the hell out of the enemy, then finishing him off with something else (grenades, air support, armored support). A lighter round means the soldier in question has to be less thrifty with his bullets, which supports this doctrine.

Battlefield aiming is vastly different from on the range. There are literally mountains of data to support this. The study that caused the US to switch from the 30cal to the .223 said very clearly that all else being equal, the person who fired the most bullets tended to win the firefight. So they went looking for a way to allow their troops to fire more bullets.

reno

Jul 25, 2007, 5:45 AM
    Post #9 of 20 (1032 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [andypro] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

andypro wrote:
    First the M16:

**It MUST BE KEPT CLEAN!

Cons:

• Well, that first point about being kept clean is a HUGE disadvantage on the battlefield. Doubly so for ones such as Iraq (lots of blowing dust) or Vietnam (lots of mud). The benefit of the AK is it's less exacting specs.... it works under damn near any condition because it has very loose tolerances. A small chunk of dirt won't cause it to jam, while the same chunk will render an M-16 as little more than a fancy club with a clip and sling.

Further, the M-16 is fairly long. That is, it's not well suited to close quarter combat, nor is it easy to shoulder quickly when exiting a vehicle. Ergo, it's not well suited for urban combat, which seems to be the predominant forum for combat in modern times. Gone are the days when armies squared off face-to-face on opposite sides of an open field.

omegaprime

Jul 25, 2007, 5:58 AM
    Post #10 of 20 (1030 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [reno] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

reno wrote:
    Further, the M-16 is fairly long. That is, it's not well suited to close quarter combat, nor is it easy to shoulder quickly when exiting a vehicle. Ergo, it's not well suited for urban combat, which seems to be the predominant forum for combat in modern times. Gone are the days when armies squared off face-to-face on opposite sides of an open field.

I think that's why they came up with CAR-15 and its variants.

petsfed

Jul 25, 2007, 7:08 AM
    Post #11 of 20 (1026 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [omegaprime] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

omegaprime wrote:
    reno wrote:

I think that's why they came up with CAR-15 and its variants.

And why the M-16 is being phased out of combat roles in favor of the M4, which is its somewhat smaller cousin, although at the price of firepower. The increased maneuverability comes at the price of muzzle velocity, which means less muzzle energy. While there's no clean correlation between muzzle energy and stopping power (impact effects and bullet shape render a 2-variable study pretty useless), it does have a measurable effect.

shortfatoldguy

Jul 25, 2007, 3:30 PM
    Post #12 of 20 (1007 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

I'm buying a Mosin Nagant. 7.62Xcaveman Laugh

andypro

Jul 25, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Post #13 of 20 (994 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [shortfatoldguy] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

shortfatoldguy wrote:
    I'm buying a Mosin Nagant. 7.62Xcaveman Laugh

I used to have one. They're fantastically fun rifles Cool Especially when your shooting that 54R cartridge at night. It looks like it's throwing glowing pumpkins.

Yeah, the M16 IS too long for Urban Operations for the most part. Out int he streets, not too bad. Door to door and room to room, not so good. There is a technique called "short stocking" that drastically reduces the outward length, but it takes the stock off your shoulder and you have to be a good shot to begin with because you cant properly use the sights, so your essentially shooting instinctively. It's not that difficult within 15 meters or so but takes a lot of practice beyond that. We used to spend days at a time just practicing shooting short stocked M16's.

Then you get the M4. Much shorter, and easier to handle. Range is reduced really to about 300 meters (they claim something like 400 but that's a crock if you ask me). It doesn't shoot as flat as a full barreled M16, but the handling is so improved that honestly it's worth the tradeoff in my opinion. It's still a bit long to go room to room at high speed. That's just my personal preference though.

I got to play with one of the first CQBR weapon systems, and it's essentially a sopmod M4 with 5 or 6 inches less barrel. Very compact, and very easy to "point and click" at close range. Long range really suffers in a bad way, though.

At this point, however, I think that the 5.56x45 round is TOO BIG for these circumstances (again, my opinion). It's very easy to over penetrate by 5 walls with one of these rounds in the right situation, they're loud, the recoil is relatively heavy, and they require a larger weapon so making it more compact is really only possible by shortening the stock and barrel.

Large pistol calibers would be my preference here. The HK UMP series is very nice. I never got to play with a P90, but I hear good things about them, though they're technically not a pistol caliber weapon (they have their own screwy cartridge).

The M16 is still an excellent overall weapon system. Outside it's great. However the times of large scale open field battles is really coming to an end. Having sniper support, artillery, air cover...all at a radio call away allows you to get away with shorter range weapons. With combat moving heavily into urban areas a new system really is called for (many of which are being worked on right now).

--Andy P

omegaprime

Jul 26, 2007, 1:42 AM
    Post #14 of 20 (982 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

I wonder why the US never went with Bullpup design if they wanted something for CQBR and open ground? A lot of other countries favors this design nowadays.

andypro

Jul 26, 2007, 2:22 AM
    Post #15 of 20 (980 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [omegaprime] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

omegaprime wrote:
    I wonder why the US never went with Bullpup design if they wanted something for CQBR and open ground? A lot of other countries favors this design nowadays.

There were a few bullpup designs thrown out there in the mid to late 60's (when the M16 was comming in). They lost out to the more traditional arrangement mostly because the technology to pull it off well wasn't there so much.

After that, it was the "if it aint broke, dont fix it". A bullpup is usually more complex than a standard layout, mostly due to the linkages that need to exist between the trigger group and the feeding/firing group.

One of the most prolific bullpup designs is the British SAsomethin-or-other (I dont remember the designation). I've handled them, but never fired them. They're pretty well balanced, and fire the same 5.56 ammo that the M16 uses, but from what I hear they're a bear to deal with, requiring even more maintenance than an M16 to stay in working order. Perhaps it's been improved over the last 10 years, I dont really know.

The new systems under developmental consideration are almost all bullpup designs. Most notable the OICW (now redesignated the XM19 I think? t's XMsomething). It still fires the 5.56x45, but overall is very short while still maintaining a 16" barrel.

I've always been a bit leery of bullpups mostly for the fact that if there is a serious failure, the chamber is right next to your face/head. I've seen dramatic failures in M16's, M249's, and 240G's (the latter my specialty) and they're ugly. I would NOT want that happening next to my melon. No way, no sir, no thanks.

--Andy P

omegaprime

Jul 26, 2007, 2:57 AM
    Post #16 of 20 (975 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

andypro wrote:
    After that, it was the "if it aint broke, dont fix it". A bullpup is usually more complex than a standard layout, mostly due to the linkages that need to exist between the trigger group and the feeding/firing group.

One of the most prolific bullpup designs is the British SAsomethin-or-other (I dont remember the designation). ...

That would be the SA80, I think. I'm more familiar with the M16 myself, but I've heard the Steyr AUG is not that much difficult to maintain and the design looks simple enough. Then again, its just what I heard, never got the chance to use one. From what I know, most bullpup would be using 5.56 rounds.

petsfed

Jul 26, 2007, 3:43 AM
    Post #17 of 20 (967 views)
    Shortcut

Report this Post
    Can't Post

omegaprime wrote:
    andypro wrote:

One of the most prolific bullpup designs is the British SAsomethin-or-other (I dont remember the designation). ...

That would be the SA80, I think. I'm more familiar with the M16 myself, but I've heard the Steyr AUG is not that much difficult to maintain and the design looks simple enough. Then again, its just what I heard, never got the chance to use one. From what I know, most bullpup would be using 5.56 rounds.

First generatino SA80s, I'm told, were just godawful. Then HK contracted to fix them, and they're a lot better now.

The OICW program was canceled because nobody really wanted to shlep around a 15 pound gun that was prone to running out of battery power in the middle of a firefight.

fmd

Jul 26, 2007, 12:21 PM
    Post #18 of 20 (952 views)
    Shortcut

Post deleted by fmd [In reply to]
    Report this Post

reno

Jul 26, 2007, 2:11 PM
    Post #19 of 20 (939 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [fmd] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

fmd wrote:

"Even after lying in a swamp you can pick up this rifle, aim it and shoot. That's the best job description there is for a gun. Real soldiers know that and understand it," the 86-year-old gunmaker told a weekend news conference in Moscow.

There's a story about a US commander (David Hackworth, I think) who did something similar.... picked up an AK that had been buried in mud for years, loaded a clip, and fired.... mud and all.

There's little doubt that the AK trumps the M-16 in a number of areas, durability being one of them.

justafurnaceman

Jul 27, 2007, 12:43 AM
    Post #20 of 20 (906 views)
    Shortcut

Re: [reno] M16 vs AK47 and other stuff that doesn't belong in "Alpine and ice" [In reply to]
    Report this Post
    Can't Post

Hopefully the design change helps improve the M-16. The should be testing and evaluating a few different companies ideas and picking someone else besides Colt to produce weapons for the Army. The gas piston idea is really interesting and should keep the weapon cleaner. I'm voting for H and K and their model 416. It looks really good.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
    Password: Remember me:

Go Register
    Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook