First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

florida-rock

Jul 29, 2007, 3:04 AM
Post #1 of 35 (1128 views)
Shortcut

Nicotine addiction
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure why I'm writing this other than the fact that I havr gone approximately 56 hours without a cigarette. To be honest I don't even want one. Before I quit I got to thinking. The hours that I sit in front of a computer in my home or in a restaraunt, or any of the other thousands of places where smoking is no longer allowed when I am too busy or preoccupied to smoke; I got to thinking and meditating on how I feel when I don't want a cigarette,did I just ramble?
I've read that physical nicotine addiction actually only lasts about three days depending on metabolism and body weight. So I just have to keep telling myself that I'm a non-smoker and I DON'T want a cigarette until the physical addiction goes away. I'll be forty next September (08) and I want to be in the best shape of my life. This isn't the first time I've quit smoking but that doesn't scare me either. What scares me is when I get to the point in the future when I again say I can smoke one cigarette and never smoke another. That's what got me last time. I had quit for seven years that time. I must never think that I have come so far that I can't go back.

The other thing is not gaining weight or killing my children. It is amazing how much more tender your nerves get when they are not being dosed with nicotine twenty or more times a day. I am glad for Rockclimbing.com as it has provided me a nice escape from reality while I detox. Everyone at home has been very supportive. I have struggled not to eat everything in the house. Today I ate a pork chop for lunch, a piece of peanut butter toast at 3p.m. a chicken breast with rice sprinkled with parmasean cheese for dinner. Tomorrow is a new day and I will see what it holds for me. Cheers!

shortfatoldguy

Jul 29, 2007, 3:08 AM
Post #2 of 35 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [florida-rock] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hang in there. It's worth it.

dan2see

Jul 29, 2007, 3:56 AM
Post #3 of 35 (1122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Been there, done that, and I'm glad that's over with.

When you quit smoking, the positive benefits start right away. Focus on how much better your heart and lungs feel, and don't give up.

notapplicable

Jul 29, 2007, 6:27 AM
Post #4 of 35 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good on ya. You might notice you pockets getting fat with all that extra cash too, enjoy it you've made a wise choice.

thomasribiere

Jul 29, 2007, 7:15 AM
Post #5 of 35 (1107 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

At least, if you really want to eat something, maybe try to prepare something by yourself : it will occupy your mind and may be even better than something ready. ANd eat proteins instead of fat ot fast sugars!

But before all : congrats. I have never been a regular smoker, and for me starting to smoke (in a party or whatever) means that the day after I won't feel the need to light up another cigarette or joint. But I understand your fight.

gwendolyn

Jul 29, 2007, 7:42 AM
Post #6 of 35 (1103 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Congrats on quitting smoking - you'll feel so much better in the long run and your kids will appreciate having a healthy father around in the future.

petsfed

Jul 29, 2007, 9:58 AM
Post #7 of 35 (1098 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

And from those of us still struggling with it, all it takes is purchasing a pack to fall off the wagon. Do that, and you're a smoker again. Its gonna take months to be well and truly free of it. Your appetite will go through the roof. But you'll have a keener sense of smell, better cardio-vascular performance, and the $5 you used to drop for every single pack will instead be spent on things like climbing trips or your kids.

Its hard, but its totally worth it. I'm pullin' for ya!

charley

Jul 29, 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #8 of 35 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The best of luck to you. It is posible and well worth it. I saved the money and after a few years I had enough to buy a pickup truck. It was used but it gave me something to drive fishing and hunting. I didn't climb then. That was 25 years ago. Hang in there. You can do it.

limeydave

Jul 29, 2007, 12:44 PM
Post #9 of 35 (1088 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
And from those of us still struggling with it, all it takes is purchasing a pack to fall off the wagon. Do that, and you're a smoker again. Its gonna take months to be well and truly free of it. Your appetite will go through the roof. But you'll have a keener sense of smell, better cardio-vascular performance, and the $5 you used to drop for every single pack will instead be spent on things like climbing trips or your kids.

^

What he said.

Keep it up, I quit about 6 weeks ago - tried a product called Chantix this time which was really helpful. (Last time cold turkey for 5or6 years)

It was within one week I started running better on the soccer field, tasting and smelling stuff again was a novelty too.

Good on yer mate.

limeydave

Jul 29, 2007, 12:50 PM
Post #10 of 35 (1084 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And some looney is doing laser brain treatment around here to help people quit. If I find the link I'll post it, but seemed a bit scary to me...

grampacharlie

Jul 29, 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #11 of 35 (1077 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have jumped on and fallen off the wagon more times than i can count. I think you're right though about never beleiving that you can have "just one". that's what has gotten me time after time.

Congradulations and good luck!

shortfatoldguy

Jul 29, 2007, 3:54 PM
Post #12 of 35 (1071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
I saved the money and after a few years I had enough to buy a pickup truck.

This is great!

I figure I'm saving $75/month (about a half a pack/day), which I find pretty damn cool.

wjca

Jul 29, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #13 of 35 (1057 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:

Months? Try years, pal. November 17, 2007 will mark the 10-year anniversary of when I quit. I don't think about smoking every hour or so like I used to, but once or twice a week I still have to fight the urge to light one up. You're never truly free of it. Never.

florida-rock

Jul 29, 2007, 9:24 PM
Post #14 of 35 (1042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wjca] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's fourteen hours later and sometime today at work I experienced an unexpected burst of energy. I'm not sure what caused it or if it was psychological from trying to find things to do to keep from thinking about smoking. I did tell one co-worker about my situation as he was smoking. He quickly put it out when I said I was either going to join him or cut him. We have an interesting group psychy. If one person is trying to lose weight; everyone else walks around with a Snicker's bar in their pocket. You can imagine the fun they are planning for me. Some days there just aren't enough bullets.

I came home to find a gopher tortoise in my back yard. My wife said it just came up in the yard. Is this my reward for not smoking? I'll have to ask my native american friend why a tortoise? Its kind of funny when your a kid you want to touch the turtle, pet the turtle, feed the turtle, carry the turtle around and show him to everyone of your friends and their parents. My three year old was walking up to touch the turtle and I yelled,"No! You'll get salmonilla." He ran away crying about being bitten by a salamander. So everyone of the kids got a bath, and the wife got a bath. Me and the turtle are sharing a peanut butter and apple slice sandwich.

Thanks for your support and for reading my rant.
P.S. I just found out the turtle represents longevity, protection, and a self contained source of creative power. That from a Cherokee.

(This post was edited by florida-rock on Jul 29, 2007, 11:23 PM)

limeydave

Jul 29, 2007, 10:46 PM
Post #15 of 35 (1035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You just need to make it to bed and to sleep without having one today.

Same applies tomorrow.

Gets easier as you go along.

stymingersfink

Jul 29, 2007, 11:24 PM
Post #16 of 35 (1030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

florida-rock wrote:
I'll be forty next September (08) and I want to be in the best shape of my life.

get thee up a Big Wall.... it'll take care of both goals!

florida-rock

Jul 29, 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #17 of 35 (1026 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got any suggestions other than El Cap. I hear it is a big wall of human excrement.

stymingersfink

Jul 29, 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #18 of 35 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

me wrote:

florida-rock wrote:
Got any suggestions other than El Cap. I hear it is a big wall of human excrement.
Then perhaps the Black might be more your style? Didn't note any aid climbs in the route DB, but they're in there... believe me!

(This post was edited by stymingersfink on Jul 30, 2007, 3:41 AM)

limeydave

Jul 29, 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #19 of 35 (1022 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

florida-rock wrote:

I suggest a first ascent of one of those big walls you have there in FL.

You have my support in the smoking thing, but Yosemite has a special place in my heart, even if I only hiked up El Cap (Feb 93) and Half Dome ( Apr 03) rather than climbed them.

(This post was edited by limeydave on Jul 29, 2007, 11:57 PM)

florida-rock

Jul 31, 2007, 2:45 AM
Post #20 of 35 (974 views)
Shortcut

Re: [limeydave] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well another day has gone by. It is 10 p.m. and I haven't eaten dinner yet. My stomach feels like my throat's been cut. The crazy nervous energy that coursed through my nervous system has waned as the day went on. My wife says it is because of the hematite choker she made for me. Supposedly it recirculates and grounds my personal or spiritual energy. It is a rather handsome piece of jewelry. I did a little bit of research. Hematite is an interesting stone or ore. Followers of the New Age religion believed it symbolized Mars, the Roman God of War; and therefore offered protection. Finally! Dinner ...

petsfed

Jul 31, 2007, 3:11 AM
Post #21 of 35 (970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, hematite is pretty common on mars. Its abundance is major evidence in support of the belief that Mars once had liquid water, since terrestrial hematite typically forms in aqueous environs.

Can't really comment on the choker's effect on you, but your gradual calming is at least partly from the nicotine cravings subsiding.

crimpergirl

Jul 31, 2007, 3:20 AM
Post #22 of 35 (964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like turtles.

florida-rock

Aug 1, 2007, 2:27 AM
Post #23 of 35 (933 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I'm about over the physical addiction of the nicotine. Thank all of you who responded with encouragement. I don't feel abuzz with energy anymore. I feel pretty normal except for the productive coughing I am experiencing. I don't even feel as bad about not having any cigarettes as I used to when I was down to one cigarette.All in all I am encouraged that this is the beginning of the rest of my smoke free life. I'll be looking for local Big Walls. I hope my thoughts and feelings will help encourage another who is or wants to quit smoking.

Cheers!

Partner lagarita

Aug 1, 2007, 4:34 AM
Post #24 of 35 (928 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good job FL rock...

As far as the crap you hack up... get ready for some pretty nasty shit. I smoked for approx. 11 yrs. and havn't had one in approx. 2 1/2yrs. All the tar that has built up over the years on your lungs looses up and thats the shit you'll hack up every morning for about 2-3 weeks.

I hope you don't piss of as many people as I did. I fired 2 employees in a fit of rage and nearly lost my job in the proccess. This was approx. my ninth attempt quiting. (previous attempts lasted between several weeks to 10 months when my daughter was born.)

As for when the urge goes away...It depends on the person.

With me I substituted. I took up climbing. I started jogging again, and started getting more aggresive with my work out routines. I went in the totally opposite direction than the one I was heading and it feels great.

All in all, good luck and congrats...
Sean

florida-rock

Aug 2, 2007, 1:00 AM
Post #25 of 35 (911 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lagarita] Nicotine addiction [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Sean,
I was smoking Ultra-Lights so hopefully I'll cough up 1/3 less tar. LOL.
I'm taking my mountain bike down from its hook Friday. We have such nice mountain trails. Actually there are a few hilly parks that allow bicycles. I have begun working on a plan to be in the best shape of my life by the time I am 40 which will be in fourteen months; right after I finish this delicious home-made banana bread. I do catch myself yelling when it wasn't necessary. I made everyone at home a promise. I would do my best not to lose my temper. I think I have actually lost it less than usual. I just keep thinking good things, good things.

Enjoy the good life.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook