RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Partner euroford

Oct 4, 2002, 11:26 PM
Post #1 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

hey seatle peeps!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

well, a move to seattle is in the works within the next year. after spending the first 22 years in michigan, and the next 3 in texas, washington sounds to be a decent compromise in climate.

my dallas based architectural consulting firm has been doing a BANG UP job of scoring work and building a client base in seattle that will keep my new little satalite office rolling in the dough for the foreseable future. setting up this office will of course amount to a major career LEAP for me.

for your curiosity's sake, my latest work up in seatle is the Marion Oliver McCaw Hall, currently under construction. The glass/aluminum exterior facade system is of my design, as well as the 100% custom system used for the exterior mesh "art" display.

well anyways, not only will i be working; i'll also be liveing, eating, driving, bikeing, hiking, racing (do poeple drag race in seattle?? gosh i hope so!!), climbing, playing, drinking and of course, shopping for the future Mrs. Euroford....

back when i made my 'big move' to dallas, i didn't know anybody down here, and didn't have such a GREAT way to reach out and get some "peers" opinions on the place. needless to say, countless mistakes were made. (for those of you in the dfw area, i made the mistake of moveing to Mesquite, before correcting myself and moveing to Addison. one wasted year lemme tell ya).

i havn't visited the area yet, and have thus far put off such long travels to my unfortunate cow-orkers. i'm now getting fairly excited, and will be up in seattle in the next month or so to check up on my MOM Hall job and hang out for a couple days.

so lemme hear, whats life like in seattle? and anybody wanna get a beer when i make a visit??

Partner euroford

Oct 4, 2002, 11:27 PM
Post #2 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

hey seatle peeps!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aint it purdy?

[ This Message was edited by: euroford on 2002-10-04 16:27 ]

jetace

Oct 4, 2002, 11:45 PM
Post #3 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very pretty Anyway, I used to live in Auburn(south of seattle) which is very close to mt.Ranier(no clue on the spelling) anyway, there is a lot of alpine climbing and skiing in that area, I unfortunately wasn't climbing at the time, so I don't know of any rock climbing areas, but I can say
HOPE YOU LIKE CLIMBING IN THE RAIN!!! enjoy

krustyklimber

Oct 5, 2002, 12:11 AM
Post #4 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

look me up when you get here...

We don't always climb in the rain, we did have the first gym in the U.S. though.

Jeff

birdbreak

Oct 6, 2002, 1:56 AM
Post #5 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look me up when your here! I do alpine climbing as well and plan on getting into some Ice climbing this year.

millersqu

Oct 6, 2002, 3:11 AM
Post #6 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The coolest part is that you can be 1/2 hr. away from the ocean, and 1 hr. away from skiing, hiking, and climbing. There is great climbing in Leavenworth and Mt. Erie. Go to Stevens Pass for skiing. Snoqualmie pass is too low. I don't know about Crystal. Anyway, Seattle's great, and it doesn't really rain all the time. In fact, its not raining now!

Partner euroford

Oct 6, 2002, 5:13 PM
Post #7 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info yall. i'm looking farward to getting up there and meeting some of ya. I must admit, i'm fairly excited about getting back to an area where i can ski again. I really despise "living" with snow, but greatly enjoy "recreating" in it!! doing a little skiing, ice climbing and a slog up ranier have been moved to the front of my 2DO list!!

krusty, thanks for the drag raceing info. hmmm... now that i'm thinking, is the strip at elevation?? if so, i'm going to have to do a little EEC tweeking......

one of my biggest questions is on homes. what neighborhoods are good?? what a decent home cost?? i'd think about buying a downtown condo, but i'm going to need a garage for the three cars and TOOLS.

soo..... i know it rains like crazy up there, simply becouse thats what EVERYONE says. but whats the climate like? i've heard its fairly temperate.

[ This Message was edited by: euroford on 2002-10-06 10:14 ]

krustyklimber

Oct 6, 2002, 6:06 PM
Post #8 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tim,

First we get to play in the snow by driving to it we rarely ever see it here in town, and when we do we just "close up shop" for a few days and play in town.
Our ice is not very reliable but Canada is not far away and theirs is world class, Banff for example is only a few hours away or so.
And yes the ubiquitous slog up Ranier, will be available to you many times (think February), because as I always say "when the Mountain looks good from Seattle, it is not a friendly up there."

As far as tracks you will have a few choices, from a world class NHRA hosting venue (Pacific Raceway formerly S.I.R.). Bremerton Raceway/International Airport (with it's 5000' downhill straightaway) which is the scene of the destruction of many of my pal's autocross cars, and my favorite 250 motorcycle engine.
Portland International Raceway (a public park) is only a few hours away as well and all of these tracks are well below 1000' in elevation, so no crazy jetting specs and no lack of good air.

As far as neighborhoods stuff goes that is outside my realm of experience, you probably don't want to live in mine... but then Hollyclimber just bought one so I dunno...
They advertise a video on T.V. called Step One to Seattle, next time I see it I'll get you the info to order it.
Here is the link to Step One it wasn't hard to find.

Think of the climate like say Sanfrancisco, only a little cooler, and our fog is falling so it get's called rain. Columbia Omni Tech is office apparel much of the year, but mostly in anticipation and not in actual use. We have a saying here "if you don't like the weather... wait ten minutes it'll change", and in construction as soon as the new guy takes off his raingear it will start raining again... so as the new guy you'll be required to live in yours!

Anything else???

Jeff

[ This Message was edited by: krustyklimber on 2002-10-06 11:48 ]

Partner euroford

Oct 6, 2002, 7:44 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thank you VERY much for the info link. i'm sure this will answer a billion questions.

I had already mentioned it to my family as i'll be spending three weeks in MI for christmas, looks like the Mom will need to put some ice tools and crampons under the christmass tree for me

(not to mention, thats the kind of thing i just like to keep around the house.)

this is begininng to sounds like a whole lot of fun..

very glad to here the drags arn't up into elevation. as you could guess with 20 plus PSI on a 440CI motor, i'm already into "crazy jetting spec" territory. if i had to compensate at altitude i'd probobly have to go plaide.

aireq

Oct 6, 2002, 9:55 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

FYI: Check out www.stonegardens.com

There's also an outdoor wall at marymore park.

leejams

Oct 6, 2002, 11:39 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

this link may be worth checking out as it has some home listing's etc...

http://www.seattleinsider.com/

As far as neighborhoods go I live up in Edmonds and a decent area. Downtown is about 25 min. light traffic, and 40 min. heavy traffic. Also just above the king county line so you don't pay the bigger taxes.

I have been to mesquite in the summer (truckstop) and I can tell you one thing, you are going to LOVE the summers here
compared to that heat.

I am always looking for partners to climb on weekends with so give me a shout when you get here and we can hook up. I am new to rock climbing though. Been to a few areas around here and what a blast.

welcome and cheers, lee

Partner euroford

Oct 7, 2002, 10:08 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

believe it or not, but i have actully grown to like the heat down here.... or maybe thats just a mental response to the torture.

thanks VERY much for the tidbits of advice and valuable links. i've added a couple of you to my "friends" list so we can hook up when i come visit.

will be nice showing up in town and having some fellas (better some ladies, oh well...) to call and say "ya hey der, yall fixen to get a brusky eh?".

(in my great michitexan accent)

rollingstone

Oct 7, 2002, 10:27 PM
Post #13 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking at buying a home, you have to think budget, and I would recommend you think relatively long term also; if you think you want a Euro-kutie to wear a Mrs. shingle, and that might entail mini-Euros, plus you mentioned a 3-car garage, you are not looking in the city for any kind of housing. Instead, you are looking at a suburban home at suburban home prices. What are you prepared to spend? How big a house do you want?? If you can get a Seattle Times Sunday edition, a quick scan of the real estate section will show you prices from $250k-$500k, depending on where you choose to live. Leejams is right when he says it's cheaper just out of King County, but there is the commute. We Northwesterners learn to adapt to the weather (and I will always contend that there are some good routes on Rainier [correct]).

Look us up when you get here, or by then there will undoubtedly be another gathering at Smith, or perhaps Leavenworth or Vantage.

[ This Message was edited by: rollingstone on 2002-10-07 15:29 ]

birdbreak

Oct 9, 2002, 2:40 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Lee, thought you might enjoy these useful links

http://realestate.citysearch.com/info/profile.html?cslink=re_cs_hni

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/homes/html/2002/medianincome_2001.html

otter

Oct 11, 2002, 4:03 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My husband and I will be joining you in this invasion! Actually we live just South of Seattle now but are finally biting the bullet and moving into seattle. Since my husband works there and we are both sick of his commute, along with the fact that we are up there so darn often as it is...it just seemed like the sane thing to do. Since we'll be in city I decided tomake sure I did the tourest thing while there. I picked up a pretty intersting book.
Seattle City Walks by Laura Karlinsey
It has great discriptions of walks in various neighborhoods. She seems to capture the essence of each neighborhood pretty well as far as I can tell. You might check it out to familiarize yourself with some of the different areas. Our neighborhood (as of the 30th of this month) is right between West Lake Union and Queen Anne Hill. Putting us with in two to three miles of everything we need! Including Vertical World climbing gym!
ok...now back to packing...argh!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook