RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Aug 24, 2007, 4:44 PM
Post #1 of 18 (1405 views)
Shortcut

Rock thrower won't face charge
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

By BRODIE FARQUHAR
Star-Tribune correspondent Friday, August 24, 2007

[oas:casperstartribune.net/news/wyoming:Middle1]
Fremont County Attorney Ed Newell said Thursday no charges would be filed in connection with the death of a National Outdoor Leadership School leader Aug. 11 when he was struck by a rock while climbing in the Wind River Mountains.

An investigation by the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office revealed that the rock had been thrown by a man who was unaware that Pete Absolon was climbing the rock face in the Leg Lake Cirque above Lander.

Newell emphasized that this was a case where criminal charges could have been filed.

“It was criminally negligent or reckless to throw the rock without first checking if anyone was below,” Newell said. “This was not an accident. Mr. Absolon died needlessly, leaving a wife and young daughter to live their lives without his love and support. We all need to understand that a moment’s carelessness can kill.”................

http://www.jacksonholestartrib.com/...87257340007d3466.txt

caughtinside

Aug 24, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #2 of 18 (1344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder if there will be a civil suit by the family.

freezorburn

Aug 24, 2007, 5:31 PM
Post #3 of 18 (1290 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WTF?,

Lets throw this rock down that cliff and not see where it falls.

Gmburns2000

Aug 24, 2007, 5:34 PM
Post #4 of 18 (1279 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

“It was criminally negligent or reckless to throw the rock without first checking if anyone was below,” Newell said. “This was not an accident. Mr. Absolon died needlessly,

Glad someone with authority has stepped in and said it wasn't an accident. This is totally crap, but maybe the family wanted that. Who knows what happens behind closed doors.

edited to fix quote brackets

(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Aug 24, 2007, 5:34 PM)

mikitta

Aug 24, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #5 of 18 (1204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Newell said his decision not to prosecute was made after consulting Absolon’s wife, Molly.

“Molly has suffered the devastating loss of a loving husband and father to her only child. Her primary concern now is healing for herself and her daughter, Avery,” Newell said. “She may pursue a civil case to recover damages that would assist in Avery’s support and education.”

Just really not much to say that is constructive in this. Keep Molly and Avery in your thoughts and prayers (if you pray). The trundler too. He has to live with his actions for the rest of his life.

God Bless,
mik

climbsomething

Aug 24, 2007, 7:05 PM
Post #6 of 18 (1089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, my anger aside, I can only hope this is what the Absolon family wanted. Perhaps they are more forgiving than I.

jdouble

Aug 24, 2007, 7:10 PM
Post #7 of 18 (1071 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, my anger aside, I can only hope this is what the Absolon family wanted. Perhaps they are more forgiving than I.

Read the article.

climbsomething

Aug 24, 2007, 7:27 PM
Post #8 of 18 (1038 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdouble] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I did.

There's a lot of heart-rending going on behind the scenes, and maybe the widow chooses to keep some of the specifics private and out of the press. That's understandable. But the lawyer's quote isn't very explicit, so for all we know, she is much more angry and conflicted than the article lets on. I'm not trying to be critical; I can understand not wanting to let all that negativity out, even if it is in fact there. For me, anyway, it would be. That's the kind of person I am. But I'm also not a good example of easy-going and forgiving.

So, like I said, I hope, for the family's sake, this truly reflects a decision made at peace with the situation.

jdouble

Aug 24, 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #9 of 18 (999 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
I did.

There's a lot of heart-rending going on behind the scenes, and maybe the widow chooses to keep some of the specifics private and out of the press. That's understandable. But the lawyer's quote isn't very explicit, so for all we know, she is much more angry and conflicted than the article lets on. I'm not trying to be critical; I can understand not wanting to let all that negativity out, even if it is in fact there. For me, anyway, it would be. That's the kind of person I am. But I'm also not a good example of easy-going and forgiving.

So, like I said, I hope, for the family's sake, this truly reflects a decision made at peace with the situation.

I see your point. When I read the article, it appeared to me that the prosecuting attorney asked if she would like him to prosecute. She said 'no', and he did not.

As others have said, prosecuting the guy does not bring her husband back. I guess its all comes down to our different outlooks on healing and moving on.

My best wishes go out to all involved. This is truly a sad day.

Jay

deschamps1000

Aug 24, 2007, 8:32 PM
Post #10 of 18 (903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
Glad someone with authority has stepped in and said it wasn't an accident. This is totally crap, but maybe the family wanted that. Who knows what happens behind closed doors.

Wasn't an accident? Do you think that he tried to kill him?

medicus

Aug 24, 2007, 8:35 PM
Post #11 of 18 (891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deschamps1000] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deschamps1000 wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:

Wasn't an accident? Do you think that he tried to kill him?

If I went speeding down the highway at 200 mph and killed a significant person in your family, would you consider it an "accident"?

nivlac

Aug 24, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #12 of 18 (882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdouble] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jdouble wrote:
climbsomething wrote:
I did.

I see your point. When I read the article, it appeared to me that the prosecuting attorney asked if she would like him to prosecute. She said 'no', and he did not.

As others have said, prosecuting the guy does not bring her husband back. I guess its all comes down to our different outlooks on healing and moving on.

Jay

Or, the pragmatic (cynical?) might think that the success of a payout from a civil suit increases if the guy stays out of jail and continues to earn money... assuming he's not affluent already. This makes me think a civil suit is much more likely.

Although I wish it hadn't happened, I give the guy credit for immediately owning up to the accident and telling the authorities. He's got quite a burden to live with for the rest of his life.

Was the climber wearing a helmet? I didn't catch that anywhere. If he was, must have been a pretty big/heavy rock.

climbs4fun

Aug 24, 2007, 8:45 PM
Post #13 of 18 (867 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nivlac] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

nivlac wrote:
jdouble wrote:
climbsomething wrote:
I did.

Jay

Or, the pragmatic (cynical?) might think that the success of a payout from a civil suit increases if the guy stays out of jail and continues to earn money... assuming he's not affluent already. This makes me think a civil suit is much more likely.

Although I wish it hadn't happened, I give the guy credit for immediately owning up to the accident and telling the authorities. He's got quite a burden to live with for the rest of his life.

Was the climber wearing a helmet? I didn't catch that anywhere. If he was, must have been a pretty big/heavy rock.

From what I've read, he WAS wearing a helmet and the rock killed him instantly.

nivlac

Aug 24, 2007, 8:53 PM
Post #14 of 18 (837 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, that sucks. Negligence big time, and civil suit now seems very likely.

deschamps1000

Aug 24, 2007, 9:26 PM
Post #15 of 18 (776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [medicus] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

medicus wrote:
If I went speeding down the highway at 200 mph and killed a significant person in your family, would you consider it an "accident"?

Of course, unless you were trying to kill them.

"Accident: an undesirable or unfortunate happening that occurs unintentionally and usually results in harm, injury, damage, or loss; casualty; mishap"

The rock being thrown off the cliff was not an accident. The fact that he killed somebody was an accident (i.e. unintentional).

vtrescuekid

Aug 24, 2007, 9:31 PM
Post #16 of 18 (760 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not even really sure what to say about this other than I feel extremely sorry for the family. Noone expects a 15-20lb boulder to come falling out of the sky while you're climbing. It'd be one thing if this guy was climbing up above him and it came loose (even though everyone knows not to climb underneath people), but being intentionally thrown off the cliff is just unthinkable. I worry when throwing a rope down a cliff even after yelling "ROPE!" and can't even imagine hurling a 15lb boulder. I hope the guy that threw it loses countless nights of sleep thinking about what he's done to a family that did nothing to deserve this.

fulton

Aug 24, 2007, 9:33 PM
Post #17 of 18 (758 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Great, a bunch of internet morons are going to bicker about legal proceedings. Gag me.

I think most people who aren't elite internet-climbing spray lords would agree that throwing rocks off the tops of cliffs is fun.

In fact, maybe for that exact reason people shouldn't be allowed to climb at good rock throwing areas, as far more people throw rocks than climb them.

I assure you that responding to this post is beneath you.

Tree_wrangler

Aug 24, 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #18 of 18 (663 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fulton] Rock thrower won't face charge [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would think that a response is beneath me, but you just don't understand how low I really am!

I agree in spirit. Virtually everybody slandering the rock thrower has kicked a rock or 20 down a hill themselves. Sure, you know better now, but what about when you were 5, 10, 15, or sometimes older?

I don't kick rocks. But when I was 13, I sometimes did. I remember once, teaming up with 4 buddies at that age, and managing to roll a rock about the size of a VW bug. It was "cool" all right, but after the fact, we knew that it wasn't really kosher, and you should have heard my dad tear into us....whew!

We "knew" that no one was below us......but I can imagine what it would have felt like to roll that rock, and then seconds later hear screaming down the hill......at that age....I would have turned and run. It is to the rock-throwers great credit that he realized what he'd done, realized the potential consequences, and embraced his terrible responsibility.

A civil suit is probably in order. I feel terrible for the family who's lost so much. I also feel (less) for the person who was innocently, and ignorantly screwing around and received a life-long slap-in-the-face.

Everybody here has narrowly missed a similar slap in their lives, whether you are honest enough to admit it or not. (driving, biking, fighting, lying, etc. you've all almost done someone else a terrible wrong, but just got lucky before).

Cheers.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook