Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2007, 4:39 PM
Post #1 of 42 (2258 views)
Shortcut

Not tied correctly to the harness ,
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Mills student files suit against school for injury
Teen fell from rock-climbing wall during P.E. class, missed months of school

http://www.insidebayarea.com/...localnews/ci_6748078

Carnage

Aug 29, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #2 of 42 (2224 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you gotta B.A.R.K. the system!!!

maybe now she will pay attention in PE class.... oh wait she probably cant participate in PE for the rest of her life....

Im going to hell for sure

(This post was edited by Carnage on Aug 29, 2007, 4:54 PM)

binrat

Aug 29, 2007, 5:12 PM
Post #3 of 42 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
you gotta B.A.R.K. the system!!!

maybe now she will pay attention in PE class.... oh wait she probably cant participate in PE for the rest of her life....

Im going to hell for sure

Yes you are, just make sure you take your fav drink.

reg

Aug 29, 2007, 5:31 PM
Post #4 of 42 (2159 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

unbelievable!

carabiner96

Aug 29, 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #5 of 42 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sucks they took the walls out.

That said, i do a bit of group guiding, and while after ground school I let them belay each other with a "stacker", I make sure the kids know that they absolutely cannot leave the ground until i personally inspect their setup.

That's second nature to me, but I know a lot of phys ed teachers have a climbing wall thrown at them with little or no training. While they do the best they can, I have a feeling that the case here was just someone who isn't used to or trained to manage groups of climbers.

*granted, I only take groups outside, but that practice should be standard for at least the first couple of classes. I wonder if this was her first or second time climbing?

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #6 of 42 (2134 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:

That said, i do a bit of group guiding, and while after ground school I let them belay each other with a "stacker", I make sure the kids know that they absolutely cannot leave the ground until i personally inspect their setup.

That's second nature to me, but I know a lot of phys ed teachers have a climbing wall thrown at them with little or no training. While they do the best they can, I have a feeling that the case here was just someone who isn't used to or trained to manage groups of climbers.

*granted, I only take groups outside, but that practice should be standard for at least the first couple of classes. I wonder if this was her first or second time climbing?

You always check them yourself or you also have a backup person ?

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Aug 29, 2007, 5:43 PM)

carabiner96

Aug 29, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #7 of 42 (2106 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

For example, I just got back from leading a 5 day trip. For the first two days we had a "back up" belayer, someone who stacked the rope and acted as an extra set of hands incase the belayer lost control (we used only atc's). By day three, I was confident in the belaying skills, such that I didn't require they have a stacker unless the rope was really getting in the way. But during the entire trip, whenever someone was about to climb they had to check in with me first.

By the last day i didn't go and look, I just shouted "Knot tied right? Through the hardpoints? helmet on? Double backed?" and watched the climber and the belayer inspect themselves.

I only had a group of 6, but its not that time consuming to make sure your climbers check in with you before beginning a climb.

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #8 of 42 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

For example, I just got back from leading a 5 day trip. For the first two days we had a "back up" belayer, someone who stacked the rope and acted as an extra set of hands incase the belayer lost control (we used only atc's). By day three, I was confident in the belaying skills, such that I didn't require they have a stacker unless the rope was really getting in the way. But during the entire trip, whenever someone was about to climb they had to check in with me first.

By the last day i didn't go and look, I just shouted "Knot tied right? Through the hardpoints? helmet on? Double backed?" and watched the climber and the belayer inspect themselves.

I only had a group of 6, but its not that time consuming to make sure your climbers check in with you before beginning a climb.

I can see how things may go wrong without been detected and I wonder if adding a small cord and a biner in addition to fig8 will work in case they forget to tie the knot or in an event that knot comes apart.

kriso9tails

Aug 29, 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #9 of 42 (2026 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:

I can see how things may go wrong without been detected and I wonder if adding a small cord and a biner in addition to fig8 will work in case they forget to tie the knot or in an event that knot comes apart.

We should also make sure to pin their mittens to their jackets and stitch their names into their underwear. O_o

sinrtb

Aug 29, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #10 of 42 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From the sounds of it either she was tied in through her gear loops or her chalkbag loop (? the one on the back of the harness). Anything else would have held. It even sounds like from the article the knot itself was correct. I would hope anyone on this forum would immediately notice that someone's rope was tied in the incorrect place.

Partner epoch

Aug 29, 2007, 8:06 PM
Post #11 of 42 (1953 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

... Here, I'll say it:

Majid, STFU. You're not there. It's not your group.

If a qualified leader/guide makes a decision about the readiness of his/her clients then it is thier decision. Next thing you know, you'll come to the conclusion that it is SAFER to just not climb at all. That mitigates all risks, doesn't it?

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #12 of 42 (1916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

... Here, I'll say it:

Majid, STFU. You're not there. It's not your group.

If a qualified leader/guide makes a decision about the readiness of his/her clients then it is thier decision. Next thing you know, you'll come to the conclusion that it is SAFER to just not climb at all. That mitigates all risks, doesn't it?

ohh yaa

qualified leader
qualified guide

= qualified fuc8up for rest of the climbing students who have to wonder why their climbing wall got dumped.

stefanohatari

Aug 29, 2007, 9:25 PM
Post #13 of 42 (1839 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Solution: harnesses without gear loops, which is what most commercial climbing walls and educational programs use, I assume.

sinrtb

Aug 29, 2007, 9:38 PM
Post #14 of 42 (1823 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stefanohatari] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stefanohatari wrote:
Solution: harnesses without gear loops, which is what most commercial climbing walls and educational programs use, I assume.

I don't think i have been to a commercial climbing wall that does not have gear loops on their harnesses. This is the first time I have ever heard it suggested otherwise.

climbingaggie03

Aug 29, 2007, 10:14 PM
Post #15 of 42 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sinrtb] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've spent alot of time at several different wall/climbing programs and I've only seen a few harnesses with gear loops. Most of the time they don't have gear loops, I've always thought that it was a cost issue cause people top roping at a gym have no need of gear loops and that's less material on the harness = cheaper harness or more money for the manufacturer. It does kinda make sense from a safety standpoint though, especially considering this incident.

Most of the harnesses I've seen at programs are the misty mountain fudge harness, or the petzl harness with the single tie in point. Neither of these harnesses have gear loops.

pylonhead

Aug 29, 2007, 10:26 PM
Post #16 of 42 (1768 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sinrtb wrote:
stefanohatari wrote:

I don't think i have been to a commercial climbing wall that does not have gear loops on their harnesses. This is the first time I have ever heard it suggested otherwise.

Well, for a school program that only has a top-rope wall, this would be a good solution. If there is indoor sport climbing as well, perhaps a good choice would be the safety harnesses that have reinforced gear loops that are rated to hold falls.

norushnomore

Aug 29, 2007, 10:28 PM
Post #17 of 42 (1762 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid, sounds like you are progressing quite nicely in learning new climbing skills. Now you know the importance of the proper tie in.

Just a bit more effort and you will be able to get off the ground in your maiden climbing voyage

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2007, 10:30 PM
Post #18 of 42 (1760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pylonhead] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pylonhead wrote:
sinrtb wrote:
stefanohatari wrote:

Well, for a school program that only has a top-rope wall, this would be a good solution. If there is indoor sport climbing as well, perhaps a good choice would be the safety harnesses that have reinforced gear loops that are rated to hold falls.

One of the best option is to use commercial harness with chest loop enforcement, that way you are clipped in from two points.

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #19 of 42 (1757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norushnomore] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

norushnomore wrote:
Majid, sounds like you are progressing quite nicely in learning new climbing skills. Now you know the importance of the proper tie in.

Just a bit more effort and you will be able to get off the ground in your maiden climbing voyage

I am getting very excited . I am finally going to do real top rope climb outside of my gym

ohh boy, can't wait to become 5.8 leader

extreme_actuary

Aug 29, 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #20 of 42 (1734 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't understand, she tied a figure 8 through her gear loop? Was she standing backwards? Did she have her harness on backwards? Was the gear loop a little plastic thing?

trenchdigger

Aug 29, 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #21 of 42 (1723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I am getting very excited . I am finally going to do real top rope climb outside of my gym

Whooooaaaa... slow down there, big guy. You've got to learn to walk before you can run.

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2007, 11:03 PM
Post #22 of 42 (1714 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trenchdigger] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

trenchdigger wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

Whooooaaaa... slow down there, big guy. You've got to learn to walk before you can run.

I can't wait till I belay you Trench . I will show how good I am in belaying via ATC.

rocknice2

Aug 29, 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #23 of 42 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I can't wait till I belay you Trench . I will show how good I am in belaying via ATC.

This is very dangerous as you might be distracted by your FF or MA calculations and trench the Trench. Then they'll close The Valley for all time.
I recommend a GriGri with prussic backup and a foot belay just to make sure.

Wink

Partner epoch

Aug 29, 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #24 of 42 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
One of the best option is to use commercial harness with chest loop enforcement, that way you are clipped in from two points.

The day that I see some schmuck at the crag with an OSHA harness on I think I may cut my own rope, to stop the laughter of course.

majid_sabet

Aug 29, 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #25 of 42 (1666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocknice2] Not tied correctly to the harness , [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rocknice2 wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

This is very dangerous as you might be distracted by your FF or MA calculations and trench the Trench. Then they'll close The Valley for all time.
I recommend a GriGri with prussic backup and a foot belay just to make sure.

Wink

There are few RCers who I love to belay and trust me, Trench is one of them however, if I ever wanted to belay you, I will make sure that all 10 x safety factors are in place with another 5 x backup so you should feel good about yourself.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook