Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jgloporto

Aug 30, 2007, 3:34 PM
Post #26 of 37 (313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfatrock wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
bigfatrock wrote:
Speaking of being "slapped" I received a pretty big slap in the face at work. My boss recently left, so I applied for her position. Today is the interviews and I was passed up as finalist (after 5 years of working here) and I was asked to help out with the interview process by monitoring the practicum part of the interview for each candidate.

What do I tell me boss, "no sorry I'm not going to facilitate that for you, you guys passed me up for that position." Who knows maybe this is just a sign that I really do need to get the hell out of here.

Anyway, at least I have a weekend of climbing in Arkansas to look forward to.

That is truly fucked up. I would be carpet bombing on Monster out of principle.

It still boggles my mind that I was asked to do this. I almost stayed at home today, I had a good excuse too, having an AC installed but roommate is home.

My motivation to work has severely gone down since the incident. I have been looking for a job for four years now. I am thinking my involvement in a grass roots organization this past year to stop the destruction of some historic buildings may have been a factor, but I have the right to do that, even though I work for the City I own a home and pay freaking taxes.

At least this motivates me to get on top of my job search. I just hate filling out application after application. Whatever happened to just emailing in a resume?

Yeah, job searching sucks, but from what your telling me, it sounds like it would be worth it. It's amazing that people treat other people that way and probably assume that it wouldn't bother them. Pretty callous IMO.

erisspirit

Aug 30, 2007, 3:37 PM
Post #27 of 37 (307 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

morning... i think i need more coffee...

I would have a 4 day weekend, but for the first time I can actually get overtime so I think I'll work and make a few extra bux. Need to get rid of some of my debt.

dookie

Aug 30, 2007, 3:52 PM
Post #28 of 37 (299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Morning kids,
FLA for me this weekend, meeting up with my sister and dad and step mom down there. Should be fun :) Last break of mine this semester!
As for the union talk, I truly appreciate their need in a number of situations. I'm part of 'UCPEA' UConn Professional Employees Association - unionized professional group. $20 each paycheck I pay these guys and I have little to no say in anything they do, other than to vote for a raise every year because if we don't get it I'll be pissed. However, what I don't like (and I came from a small non-profit before this, probably why) is that I have absolutely no room for movement in this job. Short of getting a completely new assignment of my job class (Class IV, Program Assistant II) I get the meager standard raise a year and a little merit (that 99% of all of us get) and that's it. About 3% a year. It's not terrible, but because I'm in a union I cannot bargain my way up any more at all. I just feel like a cow getting herded when that happens.
But alas, the benefits are fantastic. Tuition waiver - love it. So it's not all bad Cool
Have a good holiday all!

bigfatrock

Aug 30, 2007, 3:54 PM
Post #29 of 37 (298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ARRGH! It just got worse. One of the candidates for the position is a guy I knew from college. I believe a year younger than I am too. This really sucks! I'm actually working on a cover letter for another job I just found online! I feel I can take the liberty to do this since it is in another department. Perhaps they actually already have me in mind for that position. I don't know for sure but part of me just wants out of the City job all together. Sorry for the rants and venting this morning. The weekend can't get here soon enough!.

brewer19

Aug 30, 2007, 3:55 PM
Post #30 of 37 (298 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

don't even get me started on Unions. I've worked as a non-union laborer ( but for a union company) every summer since i was 13, and i just can't stand some of the crap they get away with.

on a job i worked on in New Jersey a union operator complain to his business agent because someone came in on a sunday and use "his machine" (the company actually owned the backhoe, he was just running it) to set a pipe for a tie in. so according to operator union rules he was entitled to be payed double time for the 8 hours that the machine ran on the weekend. they threatened to set up a picket line if he wasn't payed, so he got the money for sitting on his ass.

I know the unions are there to protect the workers, but too often they end up as a crutch for the impotent.

now that my rant is over I'll take a cup of coffee. hopefully i'll be up at the Gunks this weekend, but i'm still in the market for a partner, so who knows.

winter

Aug 30, 2007, 4:44 PM
Post #31 of 37 (289 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brewer19] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all!

Let's see. Off to the mountains for the weekend. Hoping to get in some climbing...however the forecast is for rain so maybe it will be a hot tub/drinking type affair instead.

Hope everyone is well.

rmsusa

Aug 30, 2007, 5:26 PM
Post #32 of 37 (285 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My motivation to work has severely gone down since the incident. I have been looking for a job for four years now.

So you've been there for five years and have been looking for another job for four of them. Then... you wonder why you weren't given a promotion?

Seems to me that the company did the right thing. It's easy to see when someone really wants to be somewhere else. I wouldn't have promoted you either.

bigfatrock

Aug 30, 2007, 5:47 PM
Post #33 of 37 (277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rmsusa] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rmsusa wrote:
In reply to:
My motivation to work has severely gone down since the incident. I have been looking for a job for four years now.

So you've been there for five years and have been looking for another job for four of them. Then... you wonder why you weren't given a promotion?

Seems to me that the company did the right thing. It's easy to see when someone really wants to be somewhere else. I wouldn't have promoted you either.

As far as I know they never knew. The only reason I have been looking for a new job is my current job is not a career. The pay is very low. I only told them when applying for some in house opportunities. The job I applied for would have been a long term career that I would have been able to stay in. Either way this may be a sign I just need to move on.

the_climber

Aug 30, 2007, 6:13 PM
Post #34 of 37 (267 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Neeeeeeddddddd Cooooofffffffffffffffeeeeeeee!

Got back from the Bugs well after midnight last night.Crazy Good trip, but lots of snowy weather. Spent 2 days trapped in camp, but got lots of bouldering/craging in when the storm would break for a short while. Got on a couple peaks, but no summits as we had bad luck with storms blowing in early afternoon, but still managed to get lots of climbing in despite the storms. Got drunk and stoned on the bad weather days so it wasn't all badSly

Tons of pics, but it'll take time to sort through them.

As for now, work sucks! Everything is going down hill with managment changes. We've lost 4 people (soon to be another 4 or 5 on top of that) and they've put a hiring freeze on yet are complaining that we are falling behind more and more... wonder why...

Somebody coffee me... or better yet, beer me.

Oh, and my ankle did fucking great on the trip, doesn't even hurt afterwards! All that and I have done a total of zero steep hikes in the past 8 months, and I'm not even sore after the Bugs trip! Woot Woot! I guess drinking beer and having sex is the ultimate training routine for Alpine trips! Who knew?!Cool

carabiner96

Aug 30, 2007, 6:30 PM
Post #35 of 37 (262 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Brendan - speaking of pics, wheres that on of you and me on top of grassi?

I -uh,-need it for my scrap book of the trip Blush

-Closet scrapbooking queen

the_climber

Aug 30, 2007, 6:54 PM
Post #36 of 37 (253 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Some advantages to dealing with the union, thursday coffee [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
Brendan - speaking of pics, wheres that on of you and me on top of grassi?

I -uh,-need it for my scrap book of the trip Blush

-Closet scrapbooking queen

Paul is getting me all the photos from the past couple months this week, so you should have it soon...

Scrapbook, eh???? Is that code for "something else"? Does your BF know about this "Scrapbook" of yours and the boys in it?Laugh

rmsusa

Aug 31, 2007, 2:47 PM
Post #37 of 37 (218 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As far as I know they never knew. The only reason ... Either way this may be a sign I just need to move on.

You can always tell. The reason doesn't matter. Since you weren't content, you just weren't promotable. You should definitely move on. Next time don't do anything you don't really want to do.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook