RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

theirishman

Sep 7, 2007, 2:41 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3701 views)
Shortcut

ratchet
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so my friends nad i are setting up a line over a lake and it is about 70 feet across and i though we well need a ratchet, where can i get one? and also do you think i need it?

johnathon78

Sep 7, 2007, 2:46 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theirishman] ratchet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Technically, no, you dont NEED a ratchet. But, it does make it alot easier. You can get one at your local Wal-Mart, or, any auto-perts store. If you dont have the answer to this question already, you obviously are inexperienced in slacklining. Dont be stupid. Dont get hurt. Dont die. READ READ READ about it first! Good Luck.

flint

Sep 7, 2007, 3:17 AM
Post #3 of 5 (3689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theirishman] ratchet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't know what kind of rig you are going for, but a straight ratchet setup on a 70 foot line can start to be a pain, you are going to need a way to reset the line due to the spool size of the ratchet. Also, you want to make sure your ratchet is within a comp. working load of your line tension.

Make your life easy and hit up http://slacklineexpress.com and see what they have. If you have any other questions, hit Joe up with an email, the guy knows his stuff and can set you up perfect for what you want.

Personally, if I have some friends around, I prefer using a pull system and friction knots, instead of the ratchet. Solos are a different story.

Safe slacking, and understand what you are doing before you have home depoit steel ratchet parts flying at your ankels.

Partner coldclimb

Sep 8, 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnathon78] ratchet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A ratchet won't make a 70 foot line easy to rig. Go for a pulley system to make your mechanical advantage, and you won't have to keep re-setting it while rigging your line.

There's a ton of posts around here about all sorts of pulley systems, and some articles in the articles section.

Partner slacklinejoe

Sep 9, 2007, 4:12 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coldclimb] ratchet [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I never have much issue with a 70 foot line. Takes about 3 resets on typical setups (depending on desired tension of course).

But anywho, lots of solutions abound. Don't plan on tensioning more than a 45 without some sort of reset on most ratchets, it's the trade off for the higher mechanical advantage. A 5:1 using good pulleys can get a 70 tight as well, I wish good pulleys didn't cost as much as they do though.

One big thing to note here is if you are going over a lake, if that webbing gets wet, it'll sag faster than a woody when your grandmother walks out of the shower. A wet line will also snap the bejesus out of you if it catches you.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook