jgloporto

Sep 7, 2007, 8:17 PM
Post #26 of 58 (745 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
I"m hanging on for the escarole and white bean soup... and my tummy is making noises

Oh that's the easiest part. A light soup just for digestion. If it were the first plate, you'd make it like a wedding soup with the little meatballs or sausage, lots of rice and kidney beans. You can make with lentils instead. For an after dinner brodo, it's supposed to be light. The hardest part is cleaning the escarole. Cut all of the hard stuff off and trim the edges. Then cut the escarole into smaller pieces and rinse it well. Escarole usually has a lot of sand. Put in a colander. Wash it. When you think you're done, wash it again. In a frying pan, brown one whole onion, some fresh parsley, sliced garlic cloves (I like to add a couple of cherry tomatos). Once that's done, add the escarole and let it cook until it's tender (you'll know). In a pot, add some chicken stock, drain a can of white kidney beans, add the beans and let that simmer for a few minutes. Then add the escarole. Let that simmer. I like to let that go while I cook everything else and then set the flame real low just to keep it warm until it's time to serve it.

After the soup is done. Clear the table, put out some fresh cut endives and a bowl of almonds. For a digestivo, you can serve a nice brandy or cognac. I would serve grappa but I'm not sure how easy that is to come by in other places.

Note that Julia Grappa or other grappas that list at less than $20 a bottle should only be used for certain specific purposes, one of which is removing paint from a wall. If before getting this far in this post, you ran out and bought a bottle of Julia Grappa, here's what you do. Fill a mason jar with raisins and cinamon sticks then fill it to the brim with the Julia. Slap the lid on that sucker and then put on a shelf for about a year. After a year, you can bust that sucker out during the holidays.

Desert is on the next and final post.

geogoddess

Sep 7, 2007, 8:32 PM
Post #27 of 58 (740 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Roasted Chicken

This is super easy, yummy, and has eye appeal. And you can make soup out of the leftovers

1 whole fat chicken (organic or natural if you can get it)
lemons (at least 1 or two)
salt- kosher salt or coarse
freshly ground pepper
white wine- 2 cups
leeks OR a big white onion
pears, apples...

everything on the list down past the lemons and salt is optional, but really, the wine makes it.

Rinse off the chicken, pat it dry, and put it in a oiled baking dish or a dutch oven (it needs a lid to keep moisture in; or make a bomber foil cover) Squeeze the lemons all over, and stuff the lemon halves in the cavity. Cut the onion into big sections, same with the pears and/or apples, and toss them around the bird. Stuff the rosemary in the cavity or under the breast skin. Pour the white wine over everything. Sprinkle with coarse salt and ground pepper.

Put it in the oven at 375. Bake it for about an hour, maybe an hour and 15, the skin should get jsut a little golden and crispy. I don't even bother to baste it- If you take the lid off, all the moisture goes out. But sometimes I spread berry jam on the top and let that bake on for another 10. mmmm.

If there is any leftovers, make soup, or strip the remaining pieces off and put them in the food dehydrator, for meals when you gotta pack super lite. It rehydrates really fast. We brought this on a wilderness canoe trip & made cashew chicken.

jgloporto

Sep 7, 2007, 8:56 PM
Post #28 of 58 (731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Last and final post. After the digestivi, it's time for coffee and desert. Espresso of course. True italians will have a doppio of high grade (stretto, stretto) espresso. Add 18 packets of sugar (or until spoon stands straight up) and a lemon peel. The espresso is then downed in a single shot and immediately followed by an american cigarette (we give credit where credit is due).

On to dessert. Slice some fresh strawberries, put em in a glass over a single scoop of vanilla ice cream and then put em in the fridge cause you'll need a few minutes. The recipe for zabaglione is easy:

Egg yolks
Sugar
Marsala wine

Put four or five egg yolks in a cool pan, add a tablespoon of sugar and two ounces of marsala. Turn the flame up high on the stove, hold it over the flame and start whisking. Keep whisking until its frothy and looks like pancake batter. If you don't whisk fast enough, it'll turn into scrambled eggs. You can add a splash of cream or half and half to make it smoother.

Some people will add some marscapone which will make it a little easier to make. But some people are lazy muthaf___ers. Skip the marscapone.

Pour the zabaglione over the strawberries and viola.

Badda bing, badda boom... you gotta dinner that might actually pass for food.

Easy, right?

maww

Sep 7, 2007, 9:27 PM
Post #29 of 58 (725 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will you come to my house and cook for me?

jgloporto

Sep 7, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #30 of 58 (724 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

maww wrote:

I'll be in RMNP in the spring. If you're anywhere near the Front Range, I could be convinced. I could even drag some of the good stuff from here with my gear. Bread would be a minimum. None of this would be right without good bread.

What are you offering in return? I cook for belays, booze, or a bed.

dr_feelgood

Sep 7, 2007, 10:05 PM
Post #31 of 58 (723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't fall.

maww

Sep 7, 2007, 10:17 PM
Post #32 of 58 (719 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
maww wrote:

I'll be in RMNP in the spring. If you're anywhere near the Front Range, I could be convinced. I could even drag some of the good stuff from here with my gear. Bread would be a minimum. None of this would be right without good bread.

I'm in Denver so allow me to convince you:::

I'm good for all of three! I'll even throw in some bread. ;)

'K the bed may have to be a couch but I can definitely do the belay and booze. Woo woo. I'm a sucker for a good meal. There isn't much I won't do for good food...especially when I don't have to cook any of it.

jgloporto

Sep 7, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #33 of 58 (719 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
Don't fall.

Yeah. I hear that first step is a doozey.

I should be okay. My niece gave me all the beta. She just got promoted to Girl Scout from Brownie so I'm confident it's reliable.

dr_feelgood

Sep 7, 2007, 11:26 PM
Post #34 of 58 (716 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Don't fall.

I should be okay. My niece gave me all the beta. She just got promoted to Girl Scout from Brownie so I'm confident it's reliable.

Ouch.

dr_feelgood

Sep 7, 2007, 11:29 PM
Post #35 of 58 (713 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Doc's Foolproof Camping Food

Step 1: Reach in Cooler. Grab Beer.
Step 2: Open and Drink.
Repeat as necessary. Serves one or more.

jgloporto

Sep 8, 2007, 2:48 AM
Post #36 of 58 (703 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dr_feelgood] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dr_feelgood wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
dr_feelgood wrote:
Don't fall.

Ouch.

Oh, did that hurt? You know what makes hurting like that go away? Army morphine.

!Alert! jglo has a small abrasion on his left knee and a minor blister developing on his right index finger. He needs morphine stat!

jgloporto

Sep 8, 2007, 2:51 AM
Post #37 of 58 (699 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maww wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
maww wrote:

'K the bed may have to be a couch but I can definitely do the belay and booze. Woo woo. I'm a sucker for a good meal. There isn't much I won't do for good food...especially when I don't have to cook any of it.

Well if that's the case, a little more convincing and I'll pull out all the stops.

charley

Sep 9, 2007, 11:13 PM
Post #38 of 58 (685 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
arrettinator wrote:
Ground chuck is much cheaper than a roast for me.
But do enlighten us jchildporto. Wink
I'm always up for new recipes. Especially since I have to cook every Thursday, now.

signed
E. Lagasse

Pfft. Julia Child was a hack.

First off, a meal is a delicate process not a bunch of stuff thrown on a table with a "Dig In!"

First the palette must cleansed (the aperitiff). Then the meal should be served in courses (with a clean dish for each course for crying out loud. Why not put it all in a blender). Each course should have a distinct flavor that meshes with the other courses. Then finally, digestion (the digestivi). Then coffee and desert. Which can come before or after a short leisurely walk (referred to as a passigiata).

We start with that framework. Now, what's it gonna be. Fish or meat.

BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
We aren't all spoiled rich kids. You may not be either but that bullshit sounds like it is coming from some ass born with a silver spoon in his moth and was never hungry. I on the other hand grew up in a small town housing project.
I appreciate the fact that my mom worked two waitress jobs so she could afford to fix meatloaf.

charley

Sep 9, 2007, 11:18 PM
Post #39 of 58 (684 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
betaben wrote:

let's go with fish, but please make it something that those of us that live away from the sea, can actually get.

Now your gonna make it tricky eh. Okay fine. We'll go with something simple. You're gonna need shrimp, calamari and flounder. All of which can be frozen and shipped so there should be no problem getting them locally.

As an overview, tonight's meal is going to be served in four courses. For the appetizer, we are going to have stuffed calamari served with a balsamic reduction over a bed of arugala. Next we will have flounder in a white wine sauce served with fresh steamed vegetables. After that, for the starch, we will have shells with fresh tomato and portobello mushrooms. Finally, a light vegetable soup with escarole and white beans. Normally, under these circumstances, I would make a soup with mussels or clams but shellfish is obviously a problem for some of you. After some after dinner drinks, we'll have coffee and my specialty (some of you have heard this before): zabaglione over sliced strawberries and vanilla ice cream.

I'll do this in several posts. Before we do anything, we'll first have an aperitiff. An aperitiff should be a bitter dark liquor. I prefer Averna but I presume that's tough to come by for some of you. Believe it or not, Jeigermeister is a perfect substitute. Serve it chilled in a fluted liquor glass. Next we have an assortment of dried aged cheeses and olives. Maybe a plate with extra virgin olive oil and rosemary served with some sliced italian bread to dip.

On to the prima piata. First the stuffing. First, clean the shrimp and dice into small pieces. Next, in a frying pan, brown thinly sliced garlic cloves (the amount of garlic you use is a personal decision) in some olive oil. Next add the diced shrimp and some chopped scallions. When the shrimp are almost completely cooked, add enough bread crumps to completely cover the shrimp. You may need to add another splash of olive oil. As soon as the breadcrumbs are brown, turn it off and put it all in a bowl.

Next, the calamari. These need to be whole calamari, not the pre-sliced ones. Rinse the calamari and cut the legs off. Bring a pot of water to boil and boil the calamari for just a minute. They should feel firmer. Drain them and then stuff them with the shrimp and the bread crumbs. Once they are stuffed, I prefer to grill them. You can put them in a small pan in the oven or in the broiler if don't have access to a grill. If you are going to grill, heat the grill up and grill them on a low flame. With calamari, you basically cook them until their white and firm. This should be pretty quick. On the grill, they should get seared with the grill surface but don't let them get blackened on the ends. Next in a sauce pan, reduce some balsamic vinegar. Put some arugula and a couple of calamari on each dish, then drizzle the balsamic reduction over them and serve with a lemon wedge on the side.

I gotta refill my coffee cup. The flounder will be on the next post.

I'm duly fuckin impressed!!!1
I don't drink out of a fluted glass, usually from a can.

jgloporto

Sep 10, 2007, 4:21 AM
Post #40 of 58 (674 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:

BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
We aren't all spoiled rich kids. You may not be either but that bullshit sounds like it is coming from some ass born with a silver spoon in his moth and was never hungry. I on the other hand grew up in a small town housing project.
I appreciate the fact that my mom worked two waitress jobs so she could afford to fix meatloaf.

Bzzz. That answer is wrong. I grew up in a poor dangerous inner city environment. A couple of pounds of chop meat costs the same amount of money whether you are going to make meatloaf, meat balls, or stuffed peppers. My grandmother could never understand how people could starve since (at the time anyway) 20 cents worth of pasta could feed a family.

Just this weekend we bought 6 bushels of tomatos for $60 and made a years worth of sauce.

For as shitty as it was growing up, there was always a spread on the table.

themadmilkman

Sep 10, 2007, 6:11 AM
Post #41 of 58 (665 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

charley wrote:
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT

Completely unnecessary.

dlintz

Sep 10, 2007, 6:17 AM
Post #42 of 58 (665 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
charley wrote:

BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT

Bzzz. That answer is wrong. I grew up in a poor dangerous inner city environment. A couple of pounds of chop meat costs the same amount of money whether you are going to make meatloaf, meat balls, or stuffed peppers. My grandmother could never understand how people could starve since (at the time anyway) 20 cents worth of pasta could feed a family.

Just this weekend we bought 6 bushels of tomatos for $60 and made a years worth of sauce.

Hell yeah, and there's a good deal of satisfaction in making it yourself.

Last weekend I canned (jarred) half a lug of peaches, last month I froze 16 quarts of sweet corn....16 quarts!!! I'll be so sick of corn before that's all gone. Two things I'm pissed I didn't get around to making myself this year are dill pickles and moonshine (I guess there's still time for one of those).

Is your sauce recipe a family secret? I'm interested.

d.

charley

Sep 10, 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #43 of 58 (658 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
charley wrote:

BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT
BULLSHIT

Hell yeah, and there's a good deal of satisfaction in making it yourself.

Last weekend I canned (jarred) half a lug of peaches, last month I froze 16 quarts of sweet corn....16 quarts!!! I'll be so sick of corn before that's all gone. Two things I'm pissed I didn't get around to making myself this year are dill pickles and moonshine (I guess there's still time for one of those).

d.
Meatloaf could be a spread. At least a decent meal.

Partner betaben

Sep 10, 2007, 11:23 AM
Post #44 of 58 (657 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
Roasted Chicken

This is super easy, yummy, and has eye appeal. And you can make soup out of the leftover

Sounds great!! I'll defintely try this, and the dehydating the leftovers is a great Idea.

JGloporto - sounds good man, sometime when I have Time I'll that a go.

Ben

jgloporto

Sep 10, 2007, 1:14 PM
Post #45 of 58 (654 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Campground Cooking [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:

d.

Nah. No secret. Just back breaking labor. We usually make the sauce so that you can pour it into a pot and season it or add to it depending on what your making. Here's the recipe:

Start with 6 bushels of tomatos

Clean and quarter a few thousand tomatos making sure to cut off the white part where the stem was. If you miss one, your grandmother will hit you with a wooden spoon so big that only Thor could have used it.

Fill a few dozen giant pots with the raw tomatos, add enough water so that its filled to within an inch of the top (but pack those pots with tomatos.).

Boil the tomatos until you have a stew like consistency. You may need to periodically add more water. If you don't, you get the spoon again plus a resounding "Cornuto!"

Burn the shit out of you fingers laddeling that stew through a grinder. Each pot will probably have to be run through the grinder twice. Have your grandmother standing by to yell at you that you're not grinding fast enough.

When that's done, add two diced onions, a handful of fresh basil and a couple of whole cloves of garlic and simmer the sauce for about an hour. Have your grandmother burn your tongue and lips a few times taste testing the sauce while she says "Itsa beautiful, right?" You then yell "Mincchia!!!!" to which your grandmother replies "Disgratziato!!!" If the sauce is too bitter (which is just a function of the tomatos) add a table spoon of sugar. Let it simmer for a few minutes and try it again. If it's still bitter, add another tablespoon of sugar and keep doing that until it tastes "justa right."

Next boil mason jars for about two or three minutes so they get really hot and then burn the shit out of your hands lining up the mason jars.

Next burn the shit out of your hands by laddling the sauce into mason jars and put on heat seal lids (those two piece lids). You might burn your hands a little putting the lids on. Then feel shame when your grandmother is able to further tighten the lids without even a wince from the scorching burning pain.

Line up all of the jars on a table and cover them with a blanket so they heat seal.

Finally, ice hands and drink three or four bottles of wine until the burning and throbbing stops.

This recipe should yield about 200 bottles of sauce. It should take about 12 hours from start to finish. You can break in the middle for some fresh eggplant or some merluzza with lemon and olive oil and a can of luke warm Pathmark brand "Cola."

Next week we make the wine. That's the family secret and even I don't know what the secret recipe is (though I suspect its terpentine!)

geogoddess

Sep 10, 2007, 6:03 PM
Post #46 of 58 (638 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your Grandmother sounds like my Armenian aunt... happiest when we're all helping her embalm a bucket of homegrown olives in spicy brine, or making hundreds of little meatballs out of pine nuts and complicated spiced ground beef.... yum

Hey can we go back a couple days (sry it was a busy weekend) I have a burning question about the escarole & white bean soup. Roast a whole onion.... you mean roast it whole? Or a whole onion, chopped up? Please advise.... Its fall- soup & stew season

Also I'll throw my two cents in about the whole meatloaf discussion:
Not a big meatloaf fan. But once I had meatloaf made from elk meat. It was goooooood.

themadmilkman

Sep 10, 2007, 7:07 PM
Post #47 of 58 (632 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
You then yell "Mincchia!!!!" to which your grandmother replies "Disgratziato!!!"

That brought tears to my eyes... I really need to avoid this site during school hours.

maww

Sep 10, 2007, 7:16 PM
Post #48 of 58 (630 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
maww wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
maww wrote:

Well if that's the case, a little more convincing and I'll pull out all the stops.

Hmmph..not accustomed to so much convincing from my end. Usually my cuteness is enough to get most anything. Tongue

jgloporto

Sep 10, 2007, 7:27 PM
Post #49 of 58 (626 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maww wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
maww wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
maww wrote:

Hmmph..not accustomed to so much convincing from my end. Usually my cuteness is enough to get most anything. Tongue

I am pretty sure the standard rc.com response goes something like this:

WORTHLESS WITHOUT PICTURES!

erisspirit

Sep 10, 2007, 7:45 PM
Post #50 of 58 (625 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
dlintz wrote:

d.

Nah. No secret. Just back breaking labor. We usually make the sauce so that you can pour it into a pot and season it or add to it depending on what your making. Here's the recipe:

Start with 6 bushels of tomatos

Clean and quarter a few thousand tomatos making sure to cut off the white part where the stem was. If you miss one, your grandmother will hit you with a wooden spoon so big that only Thor could have used it.

Fill a few dozen giant pots with the raw tomatos, add enough water so that its filled to within an inch of the top (but pack those pots with tomatos.).

Boil the tomatos until you have a stew like consistency. You may need to periodically add more water. If you don't, you get the spoon again plus a resounding "Cornuto!"

Burn the shit out of you fingers laddeling that stew through a grinder. Each pot will probably have to be run through the grinder twice. Have your grandmother standing by to yell at you that you're not grinding fast enough.

When that's done, add two diced onions, a handful of fresh basil and a couple of whole cloves of garlic and simmer the sauce for about an hour. Have your grandmother burn your tongue and lips a few times taste testing the sauce while she says "Itsa beautiful, right?" You then yell "Mincchia!!!!" to which your grandmother replies "Disgratziato!!!" If the sauce is too bitter (which is just a function of the tomatos) add a table spoon of sugar. Let it simmer for a few minutes and try it again. If it's still bitter, add another tablespoon of sugar and keep doing that until it tastes "justa right."

Next boil mason jars for about two or three minutes so they get really hot and then burn the shit out of your hands lining up the mason jars.

Next burn the shit out of your hands by laddling the sauce into mason jars and put on heat seal lids (those two piece lids). You might burn your hands a little putting the lids on. Then feel shame when your grandmother is able to further tighten the lids without even a wince from the scorching burning pain.

Line up all of the jars on a table and cover them with a blanket so they heat seal.

Finally, ice hands and drink three or four bottles of wine until the burning and throbbing stops.

This recipe should yield about 200 bottles of sauce. It should take about 12 hours from start to finish. You can break in the middle for some fresh eggplant or some merluzza with lemon and olive oil and a can of luke warm Pathmark brand "Cola."

Next week we make the wine. That's the family secret and even I don't know what the secret recipe is (though I suspect its terpentine!)

hahaha I was just thinking the other day how I should can a bunch of spaghetti sauce maybe Ill actually do it this weekend...

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook