RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

SkaFreak

Sep 10, 2007, 8:00 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2238 views)
Shortcut

Hueco Tanks?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a chance to head out to Hueco Tanks later this month, but I'm not sure if it will be worth it. I don't have much upper body strength yet, so I suck at bouldering. I have run into some V0's that I can't do. Think it would it still be worth it to go out to Hueco? Are there many easy problems that are even semi-interesting?

localshredder

Sep 10, 2007, 8:08 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [SkaFreak] Hueco Tanks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Do not go to Hueco. It is sharp, the people are unfriendly and the problems are lame. Listen to the magazines and go to Joes Valley where the rock is soft the rednecks friendly and the problems are unlame.
Just kidding. Hueco is great. It is a great place to just climb v2 and under as there are so many problems of quality at those grades to choose from.
The best season is from Thanksgiving to the end of February but you should be all right now.

zionvier

Sep 10, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What's your alternative to going? sitting on the couch?

I'm sure going won't hurt your climbing skills. I haven't personally been to HT, but wouldn't pass up the trip.

hopperhopper

Sep 10, 2007, 8:25 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2204 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm still a beginner boulderer (v1/v2), and i would go to hueco tanks in a heartbeat. i live in texas, but it's still 10 hours from here to HT (texas is so huge). i'd like to go over christmas break but i doubt it'll happen.

please...for all of us who can't...don't waste your chance. go.

joek

Sep 10, 2007, 9:22 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

go go go. hueco is a great destination whether you climb v-supereasy or v-superhard. there are tons of fun, classic problems that are v0, v1 and v2. slabs, tricky vert problems, juggy overhangs, everything you could ask for and a great place to learn and get strong.

dreday3000

Sep 10, 2007, 9:25 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2155 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hueco Tanks has an unbelievable number of easy problems. When you go - and your SHOULD go - , stop buy the Hueco Rock Ranch. They have a binder which contains the ultra classic "Wanker 101" which is a circuit of over 100 boulder problems rated V2 and below (mostly below). The ambitious try to do this all in one day but it should give you lots to do on your trip.

BUT Hueco Tanks access is pretty tricky. You have to make reservations for North Mountain or snag one of the 10 walk ups early in the day. Not sure how crowded it'll be in the next month it but you better make sure there are reservations. Check out the following website for info and the # to call to make reservations :

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/hueco_tanks/

If that doesn't work out you can hire a guide through the Hueco Rock Ranch. Good people. Last I checked a guide run 20 bucks per person.

http://www.huecorockranch.com/

And for general info check out

http://www.huecotanks.com/

Enjoy.

SkaFreak

Sep 10, 2007, 9:30 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Hueco Tanks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, the reservations and everything are basically already taken care of for me. I basically just asked because I went on a bouldering trip with some of the people that I'd be going to Hueco with, and there was not a single problem I could do (There was a V0+ with an awkward start and a V0 or V1 depending on who you asked that had one move that I didn't have the strength for). I didn't want to go to Hueco and take a spot from someone who would actually be able to climb if they didn't have much easy stuff. Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like I'll probably be going.

cchildre

Sep 10, 2007, 9:35 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My third trip ever, was to Hueco. I sent a few 0's and 1's, and then floundered. Still it was awesome!

My advice. Go. Take a harness, rope and draws. Climb some of the easy sport routes that are in the shade during the morning. Then, in the afternoon, hit the boulders, your fingertips and entire body should survive about half the day before letting go at this stage. This way, you get to climb all day. This could vary, as you might be exceptionally strong or durable. Everyone said I would be burger after two weeks of Joshua Tree Cracks, and I never even broke skin. Back home the next week, went to smooth polished Quartz Mountain, and ended up getting sliced up like a filet.

dreday3000

Sep 10, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2141 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good god man, what kind of good natured freak are you? You should defiently go, bugger all those mutant v14 climbers, and bird watchers they'll find a way in if they're really motivated.

Hueco Tanks is Hueco Tanks not because they have the most Vhard climbs in the nation, its Heuco because they have a shit ton of ALL grades.

I don't even like bouldering and I found myself there for 2 full seasons. Cause its that good.

And the V0s are just as good as the V Hards.

GO! I promise you'll have fun.

curt

Sep 11, 2007, 2:03 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2095 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey SkaFreak,

Hueco Tanks is almost unique in that it has really fun boulder problems in the lesser difficulty grades--similar to what the Gunks offers up for roped routes. It's genuinely difficult to find climbing areas where there are outstanding easy climbs--and Hueco more than qualifies. Check it out--you won't be sorry.

Curt

thomasribiere

Sep 11, 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Hueco Tanks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't miss an opportunity to go to Hueco. Knowning the problems between some Rangers and the Climbing community, who knows if you will have the possibility to get there in a few years?

infinite420

Sep 12, 2007, 5:29 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1956 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Hueco Tanks? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i just recently got BACK into climbing and jumped right in just about where I left off. If you have the chance to go to Hueco Tanks, TAKE IT! i was there last weekend and while it was hot, there is much shade to be had... if you're going to be on north mountain, stay around Mushroom Boulder in the morning, the wannabe's are fun.. Right and Left. they provide a good warmup and are rated V0. some might argue that though, and call them V1. then later move to the other side of the mountain to catch the shade over there. the gymnasium is really fun if you know where you're going and whatever.. there's a ton of V0/V1's on north mountain, so just explore and have fun, you won't regret it. there's also a good chance that i'll be there that weekend as well seeing as how I go A LOT. so PM me if you want and we might be able to set something up! :)

have fun and be safe!

nikias

Sep 16, 2007, 6:58 AM
Post #13 of 13 (1897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you probably already made up your mind, but YES! go. There is no reason not to go. I am a HT local. Hit me up for more info. See you out there. Peace!

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook