RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

trundlebum

Sep 16, 2007, 9:58 PM
Post #1 of 14 (3371 views)
Shortcut

Helping an injured leader
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The previous (chronologically) posted thread in the trad category asks about helping an inured and disabled second in a two man party. Various methods of reaching and then lowering the victim were discussed.
Member "altelis" had some very sound advice and suggested a practise scenario which in turn brought up the question of reaching and helping an injured leader.

I would love to hear what people have to say/suggest "helping an injured leader".
Because scenarios could vary widely and each dictating a completed different solution, I will paint the scenario:
######
You and your partner are on the second pitch of a very sheer, near or at vertical wall. You have one rope as you expect to breeze up this multi pitch climb rather uneventfully. Your partner is leading and at about 60 feet of rope out, takes a 20 foot fall. He is unconscience due to a head injury but it does not look critical.
As I mentioned you have only the lead rope and your partner has not lead past the halfway point.

what do you do?

gunkiemike

Sep 16, 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #2 of 14 (3349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trundlebum] Helping an injured leader [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Still not enough information to answer.

How far above the ground are you? (maybe you still have enough rope to lower him to the ground) Can he be lowered back to the belay (or a reachable ledge)? Or is he off too far to the side? How solid is the top piece of gear that he's hanging from and how much other gear is on the pitch beneath it? What gear does the belayer have? How many other folks are around to provide assistance (e.g. from above or to come to your aid)

zuegma

Sep 16, 2007, 11:01 PM
Post #3 of 14 (3348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if he hasnt lead past the halfway point just lower him. saves a lot of work and effort and is much safer. if your on the ground depending on your location you can go get help or care for your partner or whatever the circumstances dictate. if your a few pitches up then your just gonna hve to rap down with your partner, cumbersome and awkward but it works.

trundlebum

Sep 16, 2007, 11:52 PM
Post #4 of 14 (3326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Helping an injured leader [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gunkie mike:
Lets say on second pitch belay ledge (160' off the deck). You partner was leading seconf pitch, which is a left facing/slightly leaning dihedral (so if you simply lowered the leader they would not lower down 'plumb' to the belay anchors and the victime would lower outside the reach of the belayer). Top piece obviously held a 20 footer it's stsus is anybody's guess. the pitch was reasonably well protected there is a piece 8' below the top piece and one every 10' below that. The leader had pretty much the whole rack except what was left at/for belay anchor. The belayer has only a few free biners and slings beside what is in the belay anchor.
No outside assistance until you reach the ground. Or rather this is a 'to the ground' self rescue scenario I guess.

coastal_climber

Sep 17, 2007, 2:00 AM
Post #5 of 14 (3305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You need to get CLIMBING SELF-RESCUE: Improvising Solutions For Serious Situations by Andy Tyson & Molly Loomis. It covers lots of info, and has scenarios where you try to figure out the rescue.

>Cam

majid_sabet

Sep 17, 2007, 3:11 AM
Post #6 of 14 (3268 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Helping an injured leader [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Sep 17, 2007, 6:19 AM)

coastal_climber

Sep 17, 2007, 3:59 AM
Post #7 of 14 (3247 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Helping an injured leader [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

That rock looks unstable. Bad route choice Majid.

>Cam

knieveltech

Sep 17, 2007, 5:34 AM
Post #8 of 14 (3228 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Assuming there's no major ledges or other obstructions between the leader and the belay I'm probably do something like:

Lower leader to belay and assess condition/treat as necessary given available supplies.

If the leader needs serious medical attention I'm going to check for cellphone service and then call 911.

If cellphone service isn't available I'll try to flag down someone on the ground to run for help/a phone.

If there are no major obstructions between the belay and the ground I'm going to lower the leader to the bottom of the route then rapp off.

If there are ledges, trees, or other crap the leader could get entangled in on the way down I'm going to clip the leader into the anchor, pull the rope, rig a tandem rappel off a cow's tail, then rapp us both to the ground.

Once on the ground, I'd either stay with the leader and provide what care I could (assuming someone else had gone for help or I was able to get EMS on the phone). If no help was imminent I'd do what I could to get the leader stabilized and comfortable, then make a mad dash for civilization and help.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Assuming major obstructions between belay and the leader:

Escape belay
Rig rope-solo (assuming there's enough rope available)
Re-lead the route (aid as necessary)
Once leader is reached assess condition and treat as necessary given supplies on hand, contact 911/have someone go for help if necessary and an option
build an anchor and get the leader clipped into it.
descend to the original anchor, dismantle anchor and free rope.
jug back to top anchor, rig tandem rappel, rap down, repeat as necessary to reach the ground.
all other steps same as above.

blueeyedclimber

Sep 17, 2007, 2:24 PM
Post #9 of 14 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

trundlebum wrote:
Gunkie mike:
Lets say on second pitch belay ledge (160' off the deck). You partner was leading seconf pitch, which is a left facing/slightly leaning dihedral (so if you simply lowered the leader they would not lower down 'plumb' to the belay anchors and the victime would lower outside the reach of the belayer). Top piece obviously held a 20 footer it's stsus is anybody's guess. the pitch was reasonably well protected there is a piece 8' below the top piece and one every 10' below that. The leader had pretty much the whole rack except what was left at/for belay anchor. The belayer has only a few free biners and slings beside what is in the belay anchor.
No outside assistance until you reach the ground. Or rather this is a 'to the ground' self rescue scenario I guess.

This is a little more complicated than your first scenario (in which all you need to do is lower him to the belay.

You can't rescue someone if you can't get to them. So, what you may have to do is pendulum over and set up a belay where they are (or at least in line vertically with them) They just took a fall on a piece, so you know it is pretty solid, but you don't want to take out any more gear than necessary. You will take down the anchor and start climbing until you are at a point that you can a) reach them b)climb over to them or c)in some way pendulum over. Keep in mind that as you ascend, your partner will descend. Once you reach your partner, you can build a rappel, and descend with a counter-weight rappel.

Josh

chossmonkey

Sep 18, 2007, 4:36 PM
Post #10 of 14 (3122 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Call me crazy, but threading the rope through a bolt hanger and climbing passed it seems like an accident waiting to happen.

majid_sabet

Sep 18, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #11 of 14 (3096 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Helping an injured leader [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
[IMG]http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/6861/untitled1mz7.jpg[/IMG]

Call me crazy, but threading the rope through a bolt hanger and climbing passed it seems like an accident waiting to happen.

Well
If a climber is that Yoo Yoo to run his rope thru the hangers to lower his injured buddy,he should not be climbing at all.

Plus, do not ever follow my images( they are there to offer some general ideas), otherwise you endup carrying a 21" tire in your back.

dingus

Sep 18, 2007, 5:11 PM
Post #12 of 14 (3089 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cell phone is my primary leader-is-hurt rescue technique. So too it is MOST other climbers.

Yall need to know that. You get hurt on lead and chances are very very good your partner will have to go get help.

DMT

microbarn

Sep 18, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #13 of 14 (3056 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Plus, do not ever follow my images( they are there to offer some general ideas), otherwise you endup carrying a 21" tire in your back.

Don't put yourself down that much. Since I have started carrying my 21" tire around I have found a lot of good uses for that sucker. You wouldn't believe how often the canoe, tire, I-beam scenario comes up when hiking near cliffs without a helmet.

papounet

Oct 15, 2007, 5:24 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2912 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Helping an injured leader [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
You need to get CLIMBING SELF-RESCUE: Improvising Solutions For Serious Situations by Andy Tyson & Molly Loomis. It covers lots of info, and has scenarios where you try to figure out the rescue.

>Cam

Second that.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook