Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

charrock

Jun 19, 2002, 12:46 PM
Post #26 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

anyone out there living the lifestyle? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've done it for short periods 3-4 months. Quit work, school and took off. It's fun but also has it's downfalls. 4 people in a small station wagon camping, hiking all over the west. No need for watches, what's a weekend? BUT we ate some god-awful-food when the money ran low. lettuce sandwiches on stale bread with the mold removed, rain for 4 days straight, everything wet. we finally packed up and headed for the dry side of the rockies. If I were to do it again I would go with only one other person and in a van (full size). But I don't think I will. My roots are too deep and I like my job. I do recommend it tho'. One can really take regular life styles for granted and extended travel is good for the soul. Hot showers, dry socks, ice cream, a chair with a back are just a few thihgs that I always enjoy in the burbs. The view ain't as great tho' Charlie

bradhill

Jun 19, 2002, 4:25 PM
Post #27 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The one thing that I had trouble with and would do differently is that I would bring a climbing partner along with me. I had no trouble meeting people and making friends, (and surprisingly enough, was never more romantically successful then when I was a homeless, peniless, unemployed dirtbag) but I couldn't find anyone to climb with. I even spent a week at the ACC Clubhouse in Canmore but just met travelers and skiiers bumming around.

I still wouldn't have been anywhere else, but day after day of perfect weather in alpine paradise without a ropemate is like being a priest in the Playboy mansion!

lilred

Jun 19, 2002, 8:27 PM
Post #28 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm planning on heading out with my guy...we'll be living out of a van if everything goes as planned...

Partner coldclimb

Jun 19, 2002, 8:56 PM
Post #29 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think that would be awesome, but only if I had access to the internet. If I could find some cheap satelite connection (yeah right) I could make a living while driving my car around by working on web sites or other computer stuff that doesn't rely on your location, such as graphics, programming, etc. That would be awesome, but I don't think I know any girls that would go for that, and I think my girl is gonna have to come before my climbing, even if my job doesn't.

sportgirl

Jun 19, 2002, 10:16 PM
Post #30 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi lilred ... I know how you feel. I think I've found a happy medium now -- finally. I climb 3-4 days/week and have a job that I can bail out on a 4 p.m. during the week and climb. The equipment and stuff gets expensive, and at my age, I like to be able to pay some bills and also contribute to society. For the most part, I love what I do, because I work to help alleviate poverty in developing countries by writing grants etc. etc.... so, I feel pretty good about balance. However, I'd like to save up so that I can at least take a year off and travel and climb.
My job is sending me to Thailand where I wil climb for about a week after I work. HOWEVER, it took a while to get here and I had a major hiatus when I freaked out at 26, sold all of my shit, left a big-time job and went to Budapest for a year.... Anyway, I am sure that you can do what you want - Live the Life because regrets suck. Find what works for you! Good luck...

biggernhell

Jun 20, 2002, 7:50 PM
Post #31 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joe's valley last week, SLC this week, next week the Tetons! I'm on the rock six days out of the week. This is great! This IS livin' the life. I may be doing it all wrong though. I haven't had any pasta roni in months.

couloir

Jun 20, 2002, 10:40 PM
Post #32 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just laid off at work today. I was quitting in around a month anyways, but I'm mad because they got rid of me the day I recieved my 2 weeks paid vacation. But I'll be moving to Yosemite even sooner, so I guess it's not all bad.

squirrelgirl

Jun 20, 2002, 11:33 PM
Post #33 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm only 13, but I'm already planning my life on the road. i.e. looking for places that will hire you out for two weeks, memorizing cash conserving tips, figuring out what kind of ride i'll need, etc. Hopefully, I'll get out of highschool, snag some buddies, and "live the life" for a while before I decide what I'll do with myself in relation to college and a job and such.

Partner missedyno

Jun 21, 2002, 12:39 AM
Post #34 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've been trying to avoid my cravings to take off and climb.... being smart about job stuffs.

basically i accidentally picked up a pretty good job... yesterday i found out that i'll be getting a promotion i wanted. will make my job a bit more travel friendly....

climbingcam

Jun 21, 2002, 12:50 AM
Post #35 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'M GLAD TO SEE THAT THERE ARE SO MANY PEOPLE WANTING TO 'LIVE THE LIFE,' SOMETIMES I THINK IM CRAZY FOR WANTING TO LIVE THAT WAY- I SEE IT AS AN EXTREMELY SIMPLIFIED, HUMBLE LIFESTYLE- SOMETHING THAT I VALUE.

I CANT IMAGINE ANYTHING MORE APPEALING/ROMANTIC/PURE THAN JUST SURVIVING FOR THE SAKE OF WHAT YOU LOVE TO DO. THE HARD PART FOR ME IS A FEAR BARRIER THAT I CONTINUALLY BREAK AND REFORM IN MY HEAD- THAT I ONLY LIVE ONCE AND TOTALY COMMIT MYSELF TO THE 'LIFESTYLE' OR THAT I GET A JOB AND CONTRIBUTE TO 'SOCIETY' OR WHATEVER.

IT, FOR ME, IS A STRONG ISSUE- DO I DO WHAT I KNOW WILL MAKE ME HAPPY WHEN I'M ON MY DEATHBEAD LOOKING BACK OR; A LIFE THAT IS PART OF THIS 'WORLD SOCIETY' THAT WILL PROVIDE ME WITH THE ONE THING THAT EVERYHING IN OUR WORLD REVOLVES ON-MONEY.

SO, I'M GIVING THE LIFESYTLE A TRY- I'M MOVING INTO A VAN (JUST FINISHED PUTING IN THE NEW CUSTOM 50% OFF UGLY-ASS BURGUNDY CARPET TODAY) AND HEADING WEST- TO YOSE. IF YOUR HEADING THAT WAY OR MAYBEE EVEN WANT A LIFT YOU KNOW WHERE TO ASK. PEACE, CAMERON

indigo_nite

Jun 21, 2002, 7:46 AM
Post #36 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe the road lifestyle appeals more to 20-somethings. I don't think I could do it full-time but definitely need weekend climbing getaways. Increasingly, I want to incorporate climbing into my travel.

I think the road lifestyle seems like it would be challenging without a partner. And if your partner is same sex (and you're not gay) then it seems like it might be hard to live so free but also solo.

All that said, I wouldn't mind trying the road life for a few months out of the year.

Partner rrrADAM

Jun 21, 2002, 10:42 AM
Post #37 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BTW... Anyone can travel the states for very little living expenses, as the "Hostel" database that we have set up here, you know that thing an all our profiles, hass quite a few users who are willing to offer a room for any traveling climber.

Just go to "Find People" in the left menu bar, and enter the appropriate fields for the Area you will be passing through, and vwalla... You may find that you don't have to pay a dime, and even have a guide.

stigonrock

Jun 21, 2002, 12:05 PM
Post #38 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Living the life!

Uncertainty, sometimes broke, no security, sometimes no nothing, however the adventure, the challenge, the rock, the beautiful places, new people and different countries.
You don't just learn about life but you learn about yourself if you have the right mind.

Living the life ROCKS for those who can hack it!

pamola

Jun 21, 2002, 12:38 PM
Post #39 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay,

I am stuck in corporate america at this point. It sucks bad since my background consist of growing plants at a local nursery and landscaping on the side. I got sucked into corporate america 4 years ago due to the hight paying job with major benefits. I now ask myself on a daily basis if it is worth it. I am using this to pay off my debt and buy a VW Syncro 4x4 Westfalia. I was going to purchase a mid 70's Westy, but I figured the Syncro would give me less problems. Once that is all finished myself and my yellow lab pup Moxie will be "Living the Life"!! Life is way too short!! Why waste it working?? When you can just live it up!! Money is the root of all evil, society in general is out of control and there are many, many other things I can't stand. I must stop myself before I get all "WOUND UP"!!!!

Live it up for you never know what tomorrow may bring!!

Lilred,

Go for it!! Live it up!! It is the only way to find what you're looking for...

morganicclimbing

Jun 21, 2002, 1:30 PM
Post #40 of 85 (5282 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Replace Fishing with Climbing and you will like this story. It's one of my favorites. My personal opinion is you can "live the lifestyle" while supporting a family. I may be in the minority but it's hard to replace a hot wife and a cute kid to live on the road. That doesn't mean you have to give up climbing. Just find someone that will support you in what you do and always support her in what she wants to do. Anyway, here is the story...

A boat docked in a tiny Mexican village. An American
tourist complimented the Mexican fisherman on the
quality of his fish and asked how long it took him
to catch them.

"Not very long," answered the Mexican.

"But then, why didn't you stay out longer and catch
more?" asked the American.

The Mexican explained that his small catch was
sufficient to meet his needs and those of his
family.

The American asked, "But what do you do with the
rest of your time?"

"I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children,
and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings, I
go into the village to see my friends, have a few
drinks, play the guitar, and sing a few songs...I
have a full life."

The American interrupted, "I have an MBA from
Harvard and I can help you! You should start by
fishing longer every day. You can then sell the
extra fish you catch. With the extra revenue, you
can buy a bigger boat. With the extra money the
larger boat will bring, you can buy a second one and
a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet
of trawlers. Instead of selling your fish to a
middle man, you can negotiate directly with the
processing plants and maybe even open your own
plant. You can then leave this little village and
move to Mexico City, Los Angeles, or even New York
City! From there you can direct your huge
enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the Mexican.

"Twenty, perhaps twenty-five years," replied the
American.

"And after that?"

"Afterwards? That's when it gets really
interesting," answered the American, laughing. "When
your business gets really big, you can start selling
stocks and make millions!"

"Millions? Really? And after that?"

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny
village near the coast, sleep late, play with your
children, catch a few fish, take a siesta, and spend
your evenings drinking and enjoying your friends!"

Have fun! Lance.

[ This Message was edited by: morganicclimbing on 2002-06-21 09:15 ]

lilred

Jun 21, 2002, 3:50 PM
Post #41 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lance, I love that story!
How about this everyone:
Lets start our own climbing commune (no koolaid involved) and become travling gypsies! How amazing would that be!?
...when I take a step back, I tell myself I'm nuts or childish to think that living the life is possible...but then I think about how ignorant society is, and how bass- ackwards everything is, and THEN I realize it is time for a change...
No more traffic jams
no more stress
no more processed foods
no more dirty air
more giving,
less taking
more love
less hate!
No more skyscapers
more mountains
more smiles
less frowns
...more of what really mattes in life...

killclimbz

Jun 21, 2002, 4:41 PM
Post #42 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, but if we all move to the mountains, won't we be creating the same type of problem we are trying to escape?
Personally I like living in the city, there are so many cool things about an urban environment. Freaky weird people, great night scene, restaurants, cultural things you don't get in small towns. Not to mention convenience. Don't get me wrong the things you listed that suck certainly do.
I am quite glad though that I live in a town where it is easy to get away from the city, but I can enjoy the benefits an urban environment can provide. Maybe it's just that I'm people driven most of the time.
I'm not even sure what my point is. Good luck with your move.

bradhill

Jun 21, 2002, 5:47 PM
Post #43 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always lived in sophisticated urban areas near major cities and universities- towns with orchestras, theatres, museums, international restaurants, etc. I found that I didn't miss them at all and that my social life was much more fufilling, interaction with people more meanigful, and meeting new folks easier in a really small community. Of course, it was a rare small community filled with world travelers who'd come together there, not bumpkins who'd never bothered to leave.

The biggest problem is economic. Cities are where the good paying jobs are and, though you learn quickly to be happy with less, the essentials like food, housing and gas are more expensive in the boonies. If you're lucky you can find a job that pays enough to get by on. Being able to save money to travel, buy your own land or whatnot can be very hard indeed.

As much as I might have wanted to, I couldn't afford to stay in Alaska year-round with it's high cost of living and poor off-season job market for my skill set. And it's not a place you can camp out for the winter or even leave very easily if you wait too long trying to find something...

full-time-climb
Deleted

Jun 21, 2002, 6:39 PM
Post #44 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want to climb Skaha for the summer there is lots of cash work picking fruit. They will also give you a place to camp in the orchard. Two very large fresh water lakes and great night clubs. You can also hit the Bugs and Squamish. Don't forget to come to the Boulder Fields in Kelowna.
Good luck!

hunter

Jun 21, 2002, 7:33 PM
Post #45 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I went “on the road” for a couple of years “Living the life”. No ties, no rules, no responsibilities, no one to answer to..... No one to come home to, No kids to see grow up, No one to take care me if I was down, No money, No Future.

Many responsibilities are left behind, but so are the joys that come with them. Life on the road is an escape. But no matter how far you run your shadow is still right there with you. The problems don't go away, they just get put on hold. If you really want a quality life then find something, somewhere that makes you happy and put down some roots.

Hunter

funtimes

Jun 22, 2002, 4:21 AM
Post #46 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

make sure you know what you want!!!
everyone needs balance in their lives,
the good and the bad.

climb on

samshafer

Jun 22, 2002, 11:12 AM
Post #47 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice to hear you younguns sounding like my (hippy)generation when we were your age. When I was 18 & again my 19th summer I spent hitchhiking across America from KY to OR & back. Spent a couple weeks in Estes Park, CO;fell in love with a married woman there...truly lifetime experiences
I'm now semi-independent thanks to investing in rental properties but still hold a real job as well. (Working 12-hour shifts one can work 3 days/week & live well.)
I have a worthwhile suggestion for those looking for free cross-country transportation. Try the "Driveaway" services. These companies deliver vehicles across country & you can just log on their websites, choose a destination & see if they have a vehicle that needs to be taken there from a big city near you. Generally, you pay only for gas, first tank is free. Try or just search under "Driveaway Service".
"Keep on Truckin'"

meshuga3

Aug 10, 2002, 11:15 PM
Post #48 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If by "lifestyle" you mean the "Damn I smell like old onions" variety, then, yes, I've lived it a few times. The best part of a long trip is realizing what kind of food-like-substances you will have to buy to afford time away. Best bet? If it's yummy and brown, it goes all the way down!

ecocliffchick

Aug 10, 2002, 11:28 PM
Post #49 of 85 (5284 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can vouch for the "smelling of onions" - I'm sharing a van with him.

My favourite escapades of road trips have to be the stealing of condiments from fast food joints, the stealing of showers from anywhere you can and the stealing of movies (cause how tough is it really to outwit some 16 year old usher, who really doesn't give a sh*t about his minimum wage job - and why would I drop the cost of a week's worth of pasta and oatmeal on one movie!)

Yep, livin' the life - I'm typing this post from the boulder public library - hey - free internet!

blubeard

Sep 25, 2007, 4:17 PM
Post #50 of 85 (2021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ecocliffchick] anyone out there living the lifestyle? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so I know this post is old but as it seems to be a regularly reoccurring idea....I thought I'd add my two cents....

It turns out that most of you folks who are looking for advise on living the "climbing lifesytle" of short-term jobs and running out checking accounts are coming to the wrong place.

The people who use this site are usually affluent over-educated Caucasian middle-age guys who are enjoying the dream of climbing more than the "climbing lifestyle".

http://www.quantcast.com/rockclimbing.com

Day dreaming isn't all that bad though, is it?

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook