RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

bent_gate

Oct 1, 2007, 2:17 PM
Post #1 of 19 (3817 views)
Shortcut

The Future of Your Climbing Photography
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is the most impressive thing I've seen in awhile.

If you haven’t seen “PhotoSynth”, then you might want to learn about how it will affect your photography.

This is a 7 minute video, so you definitely want broadband. The climbing photography display begins at minute 2:45

http://www.ted.com/...hp/talks/view/id/129

kriso9tails

Oct 4, 2007, 6:56 PM
Post #2 of 19 (3717 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

<Peter Griffin>Frickin' Awsome!</Peter Griffin>...

or that's what I would say if it wasn't Microsoft only. Nothing against Microsoft, but the Canadaian photo industry is pretty Mac heavy, and I'm in with that mac-tarded grouping.

bent_gate

Oct 4, 2007, 7:04 PM
Post #3 of 19 (3706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Imagine the ability to be able to stitch together all of you photos, and even share the meta-data between the photos. For RC.com, that would mean you could do a virtual visit of a crag made up of stitched together photos of of the users. And topo information on top of climbing pictures.

But most of all, the interface is the interface of the future. All of your photos and and data are available in view, and it is just a matter of zooming in and out to see what you are looking at. It really is a technology that opens up the next big door of development.

spoon

Oct 4, 2007, 7:50 PM
Post #4 of 19 (3666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Photo enthusiasts might also get excited about this software, which I think looks equally exciting in its own way.

http://youtube.com/...=related&search=

bent_gate

Oct 4, 2007, 8:09 PM
Post #5 of 19 (3649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spoon] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I had see that one as well, and thought it was pretty amazing technology. What's really amazing is how much of it can be done automatically without the user having to define important and non-important areas. It really makes you wonder how much of future images are going to be "real".

Which reminds me of this PhotoShop example showing current manipulation capabilities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dJujKM635s

pico23

Oct 5, 2007, 1:48 AM
Post #6 of 19 (3573 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:
This is the most impressive thing I've seen in awhile.

If you haven’t seen “PhotoSynth”, then you might want to learn about how it will affect your photography.

This is a 7 minute video, so you definitely want broadband. The climbing photography display begins at minute 2:45

http://www.ted.com/...hp/talks/view/id/129

Typically I'd be like who cares, another thing that we really don't need.

But um, that was f'ing amazing...just blows my mind. both the crag images and the notre dame photos were amazing being turned into essentially live panoramas.

WOW!!!

moab1

Oct 5, 2007, 9:47 PM
Post #7 of 19 (3493 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yea , all that "photo synth " is glitter and gold , but ,
have you REALLY put thought into it? I think thats some scarry shit.I'm not a dooms day person , but , I think that technologly is going to bite us in the ass and hard..But oh well..
In reply to:

dingus

Oct 5, 2007, 10:01 PM
Post #8 of 19 (3479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moab1] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It will out the last of our secret areas. We are rapidly running out of wilderness and places where we can truly be alone and off the grid.

Post a shot of your mate on an unidentified wall and bingo, its automatically linked to a cell phone shot taken by a tourist of her boyfriend with said cliff over his shoulder....

I don't think this bodes well for individualists.

The time to stop posting photos of anything but well known climbing landmarks is NOW.

I don't want none of yall figuring out where these places are, till I decide otherwise. I don't want some trawler program doing it for me.

DMT

kriso9tails

Oct 5, 2007, 11:32 PM
Post #9 of 19 (3446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
It will out the last of our secret areas. We are rapidly running out of wilderness and places where we can truly be alone and off the grid.

Post a shot of your mate on an unidentified wall and bingo, its automatically linked to a cell phone shot taken by a tourist of her boyfriend with said cliff over his shoulder....

The time to stop posting photos of anything but well known climbing landmarks is NOW.

I don't want none of yall figuring out where these places are, till I decide otherwise. I don't want some trawler program doing it for me.

DMT

So don't include any gps coordinates or location names in you meta-data (or any other data on higher levels).

pico23

Oct 6, 2007, 12:37 AM
Post #10 of 19 (3427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kriso9tails] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kriso9tails wrote:
dingus wrote:

DMT

So don't include any gps coordinates or location names in you meta-data (or any other data on higher levels).

Seems like this program is able to figure out where the photos go without specific GPS.

All DIngus has to do is tag it Sierra and the program (i'm sure not right now) can place the picture in a mosaic.

the example of Notre Dame was created from images simply tagged Notre Dame. So you need not have to have specific data to get it started, and once the mosaic is started I'm sure the images start to fit together like a jig saw puzzle.

Maybe over simplified but thats my impression from what I've seen.

Also of note, it solves bandwidth issues (the Sea Dog part) by only downloading the image to the pixel dimensions of the screen.

Someone adds a 39MP hasselbad RAW image that takes up 100MB you no longer have to download 100mb to view it. so much bandwidth and storage (cache) space saved.

i wonder how governments have used this, clearly it has many uses.

dingus

Oct 6, 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #11 of 19 (3424 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was also under the impression that others could just find your pic and link it in, and then all their metadata is exposed under your own pic. My pic of Brutus with a gray rock over his shoulder is linked to a mosiac labeled, well, never mind.

I don't like that idea so much.

Cheers
DMT

climbsomething

Oct 6, 2007, 3:15 AM
Post #12 of 19 (3382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought this was gonna be a sprayfest about how micros are changing the face of professional photography, and all you stubborn old-skoolers with talent can sukkit. CrazySly

salamanizer

Oct 6, 2007, 4:29 AM
Post #13 of 19 (3364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

WOW!

No crimp, crack, wall or area will ever go untouched.
Amazing technonlgy, horrendous consequences.

....but I'll use the hell out of it.

pico23

Oct 7, 2007, 2:27 AM
Post #14 of 19 (3302 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
I thought this was gonna be a sprayfest about how micros are changing the face of professional photography, and all you stubborn old-skoolers with talent can sukkit. CrazySly

This was a bizare thread, somehow micros and $3000 a day fees can get worked into it can't they?

Nah, I think those guys all kissed and made up. Last I heard they were going to do FA's somewhere in the South Pacific! Imagine if everyone climbed, we could put an end to wars and terrorism entirely...imagine....

climbsomething

Oct 7, 2007, 2:53 AM
Post #15 of 19 (3297 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

pico23 wrote:
climbsomething wrote:

This was a bizare thread, somehow micros and $3000 a day fees can get worked into it can't they?

Nah, I think those guys all kissed and made up. Last I heard they were going to do FA's somewhere in the South Pacific! Imagine if everyone climbed, we could put an end to wars and terrorism entirely...imagine....
LaughLaughLaugh

Ha! No way. We wouldn't say things like "become Muslim or die" but we would totally bomb markets over the cruel V-scale and bolted cracks. Tongue

crotch

Oct 7, 2007, 3:46 AM
Post #16 of 19 (3278 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by crotch [In reply to]
Report this Post

pico23

Oct 7, 2007, 8:46 PM
Post #17 of 19 (3230 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crotch] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crotch wrote:
dingus wrote:

That's exactly what I was thinking as I watched that. It made me want to delete some photos I've placed on the web even though they aren't tagged with metadata beyond a state or range. Problem is that you don't control your images as soon as you email them to someone or place them online. They've probably been archived in some database (wayback machine v2.0) if they've been online for any length of time. Scary stuff.

Once you post something online or email, it's stored in a server. even if it's deleted it's usually out there in "cyberspace" there is even a firefox addon that can find cached versions of long gone websites.

once you post or email it there is no taking it back.

overlord

Oct 7, 2007, 9:46 PM
Post #18 of 19 (3211 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

that is really amazing. but i too can see 'the dark side' of itWink

qwert

Oct 12, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #19 of 19 (3086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] The Future of Your Climbing Photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

definitely amazing and frightning at the same time.

im wondering what kind of rig you need to run that stuff fast.

qwert

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook