Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Road closures at Shuteye - How to Help
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sierraclimber1

Oct 12, 2007, 2:05 AM
Post #1 of 9 (5392 views)
Shortcut

Road closures at Shuteye - How to Help  (North_America: United_States: California: Western_Sierra: Shuteye_Ridge)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

There are two short roads that get us closer access to climbing at Lost Eagle and the Lookout that are going to be closed to vehicles unless the Forest Service gets input to keep them open. Lost Eagle has many excellent moderate routes and some great hard sport climbs. The Lookout has routes from 5.9 to 12+ with an incredible view from the ridge.

Please help if you can to keep these roads open. Just follow these steps...

1. For Lost Eagle go to http://www.fs.fed.us/...teye%20Peak%20SW.pdf
For Lookout go to http://www.fs.fed.us/...%20Mountain%20SE.pdf

2. Print out these pages.

For Lost Eagle circle the green road just below the number 10 on the upper far right side of the map with a permanent pen. Just below it right "1. Over". On the back side of the page write " 1. Existing 2 wheel drive high clearance road used by hikers and rock climbers to access trail head to rock climbing areas, overlooks and viewing areas. Please leave open. " Include your name and address as well.

For Lookout circle the green road about 2 inches below "Central" and a little right. Near the bottom right of the page. Once again just below it right "1. Over". On the back side of the page write " 1. Existing 2 wheel drive road used by hikers and rock climbers to access trail head to rock climbing areas, overlooks and viewing areas. Please leave open. " This one is NOT high clearance. Include your name and address as well.

3. Thats it! Mail it to:
Sierra National Forest Attn: Route Designation
1600 Tollhouse Road
Clovis, CA

Mail must be received by mid November at the latest.

Forward this to anyone you think might help, Thanks!

(This post was edited by sierraclimber1 on Oct 18, 2007, 12:55 AM)

socalbolter

Oct 12, 2007, 2:31 AM
Post #2 of 9 (5380 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sierraclimber1] Road closures at Shuteye - How to Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the info, Grahm.

Printed my maps and they will go out in tomorrow's mail.

- Louie

sierraclimber1

Oct 17, 2007, 5:48 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5342 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Road closures at Shuteye - How to Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just found out the road to areas which includes the crags of Bastion, Electric upper and Lower, Grey, Red Eagle and Minerva will be closed. This area has the highest concentration of rock on the ridge. This will add about a half mile of uphill approach to these crags. If you can please help keep this road open follow these steps.

1. Go to http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/projects/ohv/2007-maps/snf_Shuteye%20Peak%20NE.pdf

2. Print out this page.

Circle the orange road in the top middle area of the map. It is located about an an inch right "36" and across from "Shuteye Peak" with a permanent pen. Just below it right "1. Over". On the back side of the page write " 1. Existing 2 wheel drive high clearance road used by hikers and rock climbers to access trail head to rock climbing areas, overlooks and viewing areas. Please leave open. " Include your name and address as well. I am also writing that I volunteer to adopt this road for road maintenance.

3. Mail it to:
Sierra National Forest Attn: Route Designation
1600 Tollhouse Road
Clovis, CA

Mail must be received by mid November at the latest.

I am also going to the FS meeting this Saturday at 10am if anyone wants to join me to talk directly with the FS about the roads used for climbing access. Here is a letter I just got from them.

Dear Interested Party:
This note is a reminder that our first public input workshop for the OHV Route Designation process will be held this Saturday, October 20th at the Oak Creek Intermediate School, 40094 Indian Springs Road in Oakhurst. I have included a map attachment with a map to Oak Creek Intermediate School.

The workshop is structured so that you may stop in anytime between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm to provide us with input on specific roads, trails or dispersed camping areas that are currently not identified in the Proposed Action that you want us to include. The workshops are an opportunity for you to meet one on one with Sierra National Forest representatives to provide input.

Maps are available on our website at: www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/projects/ohv/index.shtml There will also be copies of the maps (81/2 X 11) available at the workshop for you to use in providing comments.

If you are not able to join us in Oakhurst on October 20th, we will have another workshop on Saturday, October 27th at the Sierra National Forest Headquarters, 1600 Tolllhouse Road in Clovis. Again, you may come in at any time between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm to provide us your input.

Comments on the OHV Route Designation Proposed Action will be accepted through November 16, 2007. If you are unable to come to one of our workshops, you can e-mail them to sierra.route@fs.fed.us or mail them to:

Sierra National Forest
Attn: Travel Management
1600 Tollhouse Road
Clovis, CA 93611
Sincerely,

Edward C. Cole
Forest Supervisor

(This post was edited by sierraclimber1 on Oct 17, 2007, 5:57 PM)

sr1012

Feb 21, 2008, 7:53 AM
Post #4 of 9 (5196 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm wondering if any thing has happened with the road closures situation. I didn't make it out to Shuteye this year so I haven't been in the loop but I'd love to hear any updates.

sierraclimber1

Feb 21, 2008, 7:24 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sr1012] Road closures at Shuteye - How to Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The Forest Service completed the public input phase and is now deciding what roads to close. Thanks to all those who sent in maps with the roads we wanted to keep open!

They asked for a contact to meet with about climber access roads. Matt forwarded it to me and I volunteered to meet with them out in the field as a local "expert".

Just waiting on them now...

Keep in mind Cali is first and the rest of the nation will face the same thing next year.

Grahm

sierraclimber1

Mar 5, 2008, 5:52 PM
Post #6 of 9 (5093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just got an email from the forest service. It is posted below. All the roads we are concerned about are included in the public input map. Now we wait to see if they will stay open in the final plan.

Dear Interested Party:

I wanted to take this opportunity to update you on the Sierra National Forest’s efforts to designate a system of roads and trails for OHV and Forest access. As you recall, last September the Forest released a Proposed Action to designate a system of roads and trails and asked for comments regarding the proposal. The public comment period closed on December 3, 2007 and over 10,000 individuals provided us with comments on the Proposed Action. I have enclosed a summary of those comments for your review. Also, I have made available on the Sierra National Forest website a set of maps that displays the user created tracks that the public provided us comments on. To view these maps follow the link below:

http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/sierra/projects/ohv/environmental.shtml#maps

Our next step in the planning process is to develop a range of alternatives that addresses the public’s issues as well as the environmental impacts of designating a system of roads and trails. Once the alternatives are developed and environmental consequences addressed, the information will be released to the public in a Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS). The document will be available to the public for review and comment. We anticipate the release of the DEIS in early summer.

In closing, I want to share with you that I appreciate all of the work you have done in providing input during the scoping process. Through your efforts, I feel very confident that I have a good picture of the possible OHV and access opportunities that you would like us to consider. Based on this information, it is my desire to look at all of the input provided in order to designate the appropriate system for the Sierra National Forest.

Sincerely,

Edward Cole
Edward C. Cole
Forest Supervisor

Sue Exline
Public Affairs Officer
Sierra National Forest
Phone: (559) 297-0706 ext 4804
Cell Phone: (559) 289-9459
E-Mail: skexline@fs.fed.us

alter_nate

Mar 11, 2008, 2:35 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5069 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the update, Grahm.

It's funny, I spent several hours printing out and marking up the maps and forms, gave all my contact info, and I've yet to receive any word from the FS. Sure hope it all made it thru the mail!

dpotter05

Mar 31, 2009, 8:09 PM
Post #8 of 9 (4625 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alter_nate] Road closures at Shuteye - How to Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi guys,

Any word on the closures?

David

CLIMBINGCALYSSA

Aug 2, 2009, 8:01 PM
Post #9 of 9 (4394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socalbolter] Road closures at Shuteye - How to Help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alternate driving routes from either of whiskey falls exits from mammoth pools rd and stay north but be prepared to hike. a forestry map and or a topigraphical map is Ideal. check ariel maps. moto-X trails from beashore and central camp road can get you around the closer with a jeep

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook