RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

boarderrett2

Oct 24, 2007, 3:14 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1321 views)
Shortcut

South East Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Me and 3 of my buddies are taking a road trip in early march from NH to New orleans for a concert and want to spend a week climbing on our way back north. we are probably just going to focus on bouldering and maybe a little sport climbing anywhere from v0-v7. if anyone knows any good spots with enough problems to spend a day with and camping around i would really appreciate the beta. We are definatly going to horseshoe ranch in AK but we want to find some places in TN, NC, VA, PA and anywhere in between. if anyone has any info beyond the route listing on this site, please let me know! Thanks!
-Garrett

JohnCook

Oct 24, 2007, 3:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boarderrett2] South East Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And if they do know of places that are not on the route listings on this site can they please add them.

noell

Oct 24, 2007, 3:20 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1314 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly, the choices are so many I wouldn't even know where to start. If I were you, I'd either: be more specific as to what you are looking for and in what state, or do some looking at the rc.com information for each of those states.

Seriously - between NC and TN alone you have a lifetime of bouldering and climbing. Whatcha lookin' for? Tongue

joshy8200

Oct 24, 2007, 3:30 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1305 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noell] South East Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Early March for the NC mountains can be VERY unpredictable weather wise. March on average has the highest precipitation for both Boone and Asheville (check weather.com). That precipitation could range from the liquid type...to some of the deepest snow storms that NC gets.

ccarver99

Oct 24, 2007, 3:33 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think two of the best boulder fields in the southeast are Horse Pens 40 and Little Rock City (some now call it the Stone Fort). Horse Pens is in North East Alabama, and you can camp right next to the boulders in a neat little campground. Its def. my favorite place to go. Little Rock City, however, doesn't really have good camping nearby (or at least none that I know of...maybe someone else knows). There is also rock town, and really there are just tons of half-decent boulder fields around the area.

As for routes, the best sport is at The Red River Gorge in KY. You just camp at Miguel's....its a pretty sweet place. In TN, you have The Obed and Foster Falls, but they are not as good as the red. There is also some sport at Sandrock, AL, which is just about an hour or so from Horse Pens.

Chris

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook