Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

lars

Oct 11, 2002, 9:00 PM
Post #1 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Indoor Games?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I have known about the game "add-on" for a while. I just got my little home wall going, and I was wondering if anybody else knew any other games you could play with a couple of friends.

psnoonan

Oct 11, 2002, 9:52 PM
Post #2 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Indoor Games? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't even know about "add-on." would you please explain it to me?

monkeyarm

Oct 11, 2002, 11:29 PM
Post #3 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We play a game called 2 hold. You pick a section of a wall at one end choose start holds, at the other choose finishing holds, depending on the hight of the wall you may also want to set a limit to the height you can boulder. One person starts and goes from teh start hold to finish holds and then chooses any 2 holds from the wall that can no longer be used, the next person goes and picks an addistional 2 holds that are out, this continues untill no one can complete the section of the wall.

crux_clipper

Oct 12, 2002, 5:32 AM
Post #4 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The stick game. Get someone to start climbing and point out the next hold as they go along. But wait until they are holding the hold and half resting on it before pointing out the next hold. Use all feet though, otherwise it gets too complicated, pointing out what feet to use.

climber_dude

Oct 12, 2002, 6:58 AM
Post #5 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

psnoonan, add on is a game where you do a move then your friend dose that move plus one more and it keeps on going until someone gives up or cant do the move (please correct me if im wrong)

psnoonan

Oct 13, 2002, 1:14 AM
Post #6 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks climber_dude!

monkeyarm

Oct 13, 2002, 6:49 PM
Post #7 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We also play a game 3-hold that i thought you were reffering to with add on, but it is a little different.

You can use any feet, or jsut chips and jibs if you wanna make it more difficult. The fist person starts with one hand (right) on one hold then proceedes on to the next hold with his other hand (left) amd then on again with his right hand. After he has a three hold sequence the next person does the original three hold sequence then adds on their own three holds.

The two keys to this game is that you cannot match your hands on a hold and you have to keep the same hand order, if the first person started with their right hand on the first hold you have to start with your right and on that same hold.

We also play a game called amputee where the goal is to boulder from one end of the wall to the other, the other people you are playing with have to stand at a set distance and have a small frisbee. They through the frisbee at the climber and what ever limb they hit the climber can no longer use, so if they hit your right leg you can no longer use your right leg. If they hit your head you lose, you also are out if they hit you in the back three times.

When we play one of the spotters returns the frisbee to the people throwing.

xanx

Oct 13, 2002, 7:10 PM
Post #8 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lol amputee i love it! gotta try that one

another fun game (haven't thought of a name yet) is where one person does a problem, any sequence of moves he wants, from start to finish, and the next person has to do the same thing. the only feet that are on are the ones the first person used. if hte leader falls, the problem ends wherever he fell. if the second person doesn't finish it, he loses, if he does, he then leads. the cool thing about this game is you each try and push your own limits and exploit each others' strengths and weaknesses. fun to bet on!

have fun

monkeyarm

Oct 15, 2002, 6:07 AM
Post #9 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I jsut found this link with a bunch of games

http://www.indoorclimbing.com/climbing_games.html

jamison

Oct 15, 2002, 10:30 PM
Post #10 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lars,

I'm not sure how large your wall is, but if it is small, I have a game.

A friend and I developed it on his wall after discovering he did not have enough hold or a very large wall (brand new/first day).

Anyway...

Pick a starting position. Usually four points of contact (two hands/two feet). then pick an finishing hold (usually just one). the game is then to reach the finishing hold (and stick it) in as few moves as possible.

Every point of contact counts as a move. Feet included.

A good game for people of similar height.

We had a blast. It was amazing how you can start the game taking 5 moves and finish a challenge in two moves. (I'm tall).

Have fun.

dynov7

Oct 17, 2002, 4:39 AM
Post #11 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you have a safe wall and an open minded gym owner, i always remember the american gladiators game being fun

prana0777

Oct 17, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #12 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

two holds! game is fun!

safe wall?

ponyryan

Oct 17, 2002, 5:27 PM
Post #13 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I play lots of two hold and lots of add-on.

Another fun one is beanbag (can be played with any small object). What you do is place beanbags on the wall, ground, wherever. The other person must pick up each one and move it to another hold or the ground wherever. It gets really hard with some placements really far from the wall. It is also really good for trying to teach a gumby the importance of hanging on their bone structure. When you have to pick one up from the ground, you have to hang straight armed.

We also play a game called koosh. Basically it's just tag with a koosh ball but we often toss it at someone on the bouldering wall (harmless fun).

Sometime if feeling really ambitious try to follow just one color of holds (not the tape, the actual holds). Usually the resulting problems are HARD!!!

For endurance, play follow the leader. If you don't get to see the hold used by the leader then the leader has to point it out to you (makes for an incredible endurance workout).

I'll prolly come up with more later that I've played.

climbingchicky

Nov 23, 2002, 6:07 PM
Post #14 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just adding on to XANX's nameless game. We developed it from the common basketball called horse, but seeing as the peole at are gym are obsessed with star wars, so it's called force. Basically One person has upto three tries to make up a route. If he doesn't do it, the next person makes on up. If he does everyone else has to try it. You can say, all feet, tracking(using handholds that are in), or claim a few feet that you want in. They have as many tries as you have to complete the prob and if they don't do it the get an "F". Next time they'd get a "O". This can be made harder by only giving everyone two tries, also you can play where you have to say the route before you get on the wall, or just get on, climb, and remember!
Have fun

moeman

Nov 23, 2002, 6:16 PM
Post #15 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in the process of devoloping a ype of bouldering twister. Right now it just has a person to be a pointer who tries to torture the climber as much as possible (ever try to heel hook something with one foot, then heel hook on top of that foot with your other foot, then have to take away your firs foot w/o moving your second foot?) Right now I'm tring to figure out a way to use a spinner or something.

djnibs

Nov 25, 2002, 11:44 PM
Post #16 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The other day while i was at work trying out a new route that was just put up (it was fun, easy, but still fun.) i had an idea. wouldn't it be fun to play twister on the wall?????? we have it all planed out, now all we have to do is just put up some more yellow holds and were set to go. this is goin to be fun. we are goin to see who can stay on the wall the longest.

Partner drector

Nov 26, 2002, 12:07 AM
Post #17 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A previous climbing partner and I would play games at the gym to build up our technique of doing unusuall stuff. We would climb the slab without hands. Just shoulders with the hands in the back pockets. We would also find a vertical jug route and climb it without feet on the holds, just smerain the wall. Also oin the jugs, climb with full feet but one hand. Every move is a dyno and you get really used to letting go. Other than those, we would speed climb different difficulty routes up to about 5.8 and time ourselves. It's great to actually improve your speed between two climbs, just a few minutes apart.

Dave

pbjosh

Nov 26, 2002, 12:34 AM
Post #18 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rad. Twister on a climbing wall sounds f*cking hillarious.

josh

djnibs

Nov 26, 2002, 12:39 AM
Post #19 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

after we actually give it a try, maybe next weekend, i will let ya know. its does sound sick. i hope its a blast.

climbingchicky

Nov 28, 2002, 12:28 AM
Post #20 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I played the twister game the other day. It was awesome. I horizontally taped holds in rows of the same color, wiht a bit of an overlap and used the regular spinner from twister. It was great fun and really challenging. It really worked your endurance, technique and body positioning. I highly recommended. The adults may have possibly had more fun then the kids.

sparky

Nov 28, 2002, 2:57 PM
Post #21 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wall tag is a lot of fun. I have only been kicked out of one gym for palying it. The name explains the game, you tag folks (usually frieds) while on the wall.

djnibs

Nov 29, 2002, 1:27 AM
Post #22 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so twister was a success??!?!?!?!? this is good. i am glad. more incentive to do it at work now. i will push harder for it to get done, maybe saturday night i will do it. who knows. wish me luck. thanx for the input. later, jUsTiN

crimper

Dec 2, 2002, 4:35 AM
Post #23 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've experiamented with a multitue of games!

Here's some:

1. Lemons and Limes - Find a route that you know and can climb. Start at the beginning, go to the second hold and then back to the beginning. Then from the beginning go to the 3rd hold and then back to the beginning. Keep going, one hold further each time until you reach the end (You shouldn't step off the wall until it’s done. If you fall off get right back on and keep climbing.) Concentrate on making all the moves as fluid as possible, which is hard to do once you start getting tired. You can also start and go all the way to the end and take the last hold off every time you came back. Both ways are similar but it makes the same route a little different because you start getting tired at different points in the route. Climb until you can't hold on anymore.

2. Laps - Traverse the wall trying to keep your arms as straight as possible. Use your feet and hips to move, DONT TRY TO DO PULL UP AFTER PULL UP, because that will just wear you out. If you have to bend your arms do it right before you move and keep it straight while you look for the next movement. Both of these exercises are great for improving technique, endurance, and strength.

Have fun,

Mike

climbingjunky

Dec 11, 2002, 4:32 PM
Post #24 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

These games are all good, but what if one of the climbers is a newbie? I need something easy that mixed skill level players can play.

orangekyak

Dec 11, 2002, 4:49 PM
Post #25 of 27 (4477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

there are lots of great games for the n00bs.

Get letter or number sets from Nicros or Groperz and put them all in bouldering range. Tag letters to spell words. You can challenge each other. Without the sets you can alway use masking tape and a sharpee to do the same thing.

On TR at the gym you can simply challenge each other to higher ratings using all feet. Watch how quickly endurance goes up if you play this alot.

Pick a section of wall and see who can climb it using the fewest hand holds (great for teaching someone to use their feet more).

Dyno games. you don't have to be a good climber to be a good dynoer, or vice versa.

Kids love racing. Let the kids race on easy route/wall, or time them.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook