RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

mturner

Oct 4, 2007, 4:18 PM
Post #1 of 16 (1454 views)
Shortcut

City Climbers Club NYC
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anybody have some background with the City Climbers Club? I'm headed out to NYC to visit my sister in December and I'll probably get hungry to climb at least once when I'm there. I went to their website and found some basic useful info but I was wondering specifically if they have a decent amount of bouldering available. Also, I read that they might/might not be closed/closing for construction...any info on that for dec? Thanks.

jgloporto

Oct 4, 2007, 5:19 PM
Post #2 of 16 (1450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] City Climbers Club NYC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
Anybody have some background with the City Climbers Club? I'm headed out to NYC to visit my sister in December and I'll probably get hungry to climb at least once when I'm there. I went to their website and found some basic useful info but I was wondering specifically if they have a decent amount of bouldering available. Also, I read that they might/might not be closed/closing for construction...any info on that for dec? Thanks.

Wait, you are coming from the West Coast and you want to go the City Climbers Club??

Umm, Gunks. That is all I have to say.

All the NYC gyms suck with the exception of Chelsea Piers which is insanely expensive.

mturner

Oct 4, 2007, 6:44 PM
Post #3 of 16 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] City Climbers Club NYC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
mturner wrote:

Wait, you are coming from the West Coast and you want to go the City Climbers Club??

Umm, Gunks. That is all I have to say.

All the NYC gyms suck with the exception of Chelsea Piers which is insanely expensive.

Won't have time to get to the gunks. More of a tourist trip with my girlfriend. Just thought I might escape for an afternoon when I get itchy.

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 5, 2007, 2:31 AM
Post #4 of 16 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't been there in a long time, but for the price, it's certainly a decent place to go for a session. Some people dismiss CCC, but...what do they know? I learned the climbing basics there, and the people are friendly. Sure, it's small and can get crowded - but for the price, you can't beat it.

I saw a CCC regular at the Gunks last week and asked about the closing. he said that as of now they are still open and playing things by ear. Until they hear they need to close up, they'll be open.

So.....I'd reference the tel # and give them a call just before you arrive in the city.

On the other hand, there are the Central Park boulders, and depending on the weather, that might be a great option for you.

I'm too tired to give details about that though....Search, and you'll find it in the site somewhere.

freezorburn

Oct 5, 2007, 2:32 PM
Post #5 of 16 (1411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Rat Rock - Go to columbus circle and walk into central park. Look for other climbers you will see good bouldering.

I like MPHC, The people who work there and the locals that go there are cool. They are not the stuck up mussle backs that seam to be everywhere in this sport!

http://www.mphc.com/facilities/fac-climbing.html

NYC gyms are small.

(This post was edited by freezorburn on Oct 5, 2007, 2:33 PM)

mturner

Oct 5, 2007, 4:05 PM
Post #6 of 16 (1406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freezorburn] City Climbers Club NYC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

freezorburn wrote:
Rat Rock - Go to columbus circle and walk into central park. Look for other climbers you will see good bouldering.

I like MPHC, The people who work there and the locals that go there are cool. They are not the stuck up mussle backs that seam to be everywhere in this sport!

http://www.mphc.com/facilities/fac-climbing.html

NYC gyms are small.

I don't see any bouldering at that gym. Is CCC the best bouldering gym in NYC?

freezorburn

Oct 5, 2007, 4:48 PM
Post #7 of 16 (1403 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Look, again they have bouldering and a great lead roof. I don't Know what CCC is. Rat rock is a lot of fun and it's outside. In DEC this may be a issue.

Take a subway ride to Brooklyn I hear there are good gyms over there somwhere. By that Time of Year I'll be fuill time SKiing in Vermont!

mphc.com

mturner

Oct 5, 2007, 5:04 PM
Post #8 of 16 (1402 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not interested in leading. Their website says they have a 160 foot boulder route...what the heck does that mean? Sounds like a traverse maybe...lame

Yeah I don't think I'll be making it outside in the park in december to climb...I'm from southern california...I'd freeze to death.

freezorburn

Oct 5, 2007, 5:55 PM
Post #9 of 16 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
I'm not interested in leading. Their website says they have a 160 foot boulder route...what the heck does that mean? Sounds like a traverse maybe...lame

Yeah I don't think I'll be making it outside in the park in december to climb...I'm from southern california...I'd freeze to death.

WTF, then I guess your screwed. Don't bother coming to New York City Douche.

mturner

Oct 5, 2007, 6:43 PM
Post #10 of 16 (1389 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

freezorburn wrote:
mturner wrote:

WTF, then I guess your screwed. Don't bother coming to New York City Douche.stuck

[IMG]http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w249/grim666-/escaheadshot.jpg[/IMG]

Wow, quite a temper. I asked specifically about bouldering at CCC which really hasn't been addressed yet. I didn't mean to come off as stuck up but I really don't want to lead or freeze my ass off climbing some crappy park boulders. But ya sure made a good argument against the stereotype that all new yorkers are assholes. Keep up the good work!

yves

Oct 8, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #11 of 16 (1351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mturner] New York New York ! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Although I am not a real NewYorker, but from Paris (France; they have an even worse reputation !) I have been working and climbing in NYC the last three years ...

1. Outdoor : bouldering in New York is possible in Central Park if the weather is like last year when climbing in the Gunks was possible till 30 Dec.

2. Indoor and in the City, the best place could be Chelsea Piers [after testing four places in NYC in 2004] . However , without invitation it costs 50$ a night , with invitation 25$ . Manhattan plaza is kind of small and CCC even smaller although nice places.

Hope that will help you .

gqsmooth

Oct 8, 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #12 of 16 (1348 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mturner wrote:
I didn't mean to come off as stuck up but I really don't want to lead or freeze my ass off climbing some crappy park boulders.

I was under the impression that Central Park Boulders was a really good spot. Especially for those in the city. Opinions from anyone who's climbed there?

OP: Maybe take a step back and examine your attitude. You asked where the good spots to climb in NYC would be. You received a good number of suggestions and YOU were the one that turned them down.

1. You don't want to lead, so that takes away any roped climbs in or out, unless you want to TR. Go to a gym they suggested.

2. You won't have time to go to the Gunks because you just want to make an afternoon of it. Go to a gym they suggested or to Central Park. oh wait but...

3. You don't want to "freeze your ass off climbing on some crappy park boulders". Look cali brah, buy a good baselayer and softshell. If not? Well, dude you are screwed. Too bad you can't pack JT with you wherever you go, but you are going to NYC! Besides Central Park, where the fuck are you going to find climbing? Indoor gyms are expensive because, hello! you are in the city and real estate is expensive and those gyms have to cover their rent. So go with what makes the locals happy or don't bother them with your questions.

So have fun. Enjoy the city. They got great food there.

(This post was edited by gqsmooth on Oct 8, 2007, 6:44 PM)

Partner happiegrrrl

Oct 9, 2007, 1:22 AM
Post #13 of 16 (1329 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gqsmooth] City Climbers Club NYC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CCC DID have decent boulder problems when I used to go there, but like I said - I haven't been in over a year.

Their space is very short - 30 foot ceiling if I remember correctly. So the bouldering is a big focus at the place.

Here's an idea - Search on your own - "Rock Climbing gyms" + New York City. Get the phone numbers for the various places. Call them up. Ask them your questions.

That way you'll be most likely to get current information.

There are some gyms that are outside if the city, but sort of able to get there by mass transit. But unfortunately I couldn't give you details. I just don't have the information, and you can find it as easily as me, by searching.

One was in New Jersey(called New Jersey Rock Gym?). It had bouldering, and it seemed decent. The other I went to early this year, and it was in Connecticut. It had good bouldering too. But someone coming from out of town - I don't think you would be up to getting on mass transit and then walking to these places. You'd be better off trying to connect to NYC area boulderers, and then as your trip comes near, see if someone can commit to taking you around when you're here.

rogerzbt

Oct 22, 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #14 of 16 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Re: City Climbers Club NYC [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I’m a novice climber so I can’t really give you the best advice, but here’s what I’ve got.

(As of now) CCC is scheduled to be open until December, so it might be around when you’re here. The gym itself isn’t very big. There’s bouldering, but it mostly traversing left to right, under and around people climbing. There’s a “cave” area, but it’s small, maybe 15x10. Also they’re not open afternoons except for Saturday.

Chelsea has a big climbing wall and a long bouldering wall. From what I understand, it’s not a really active climbing community so you might have the entire wall to yourself. Also, it’s expensive. You have to buy a day pass for the entire facility for ~$50. (I think there’s another smaller wall in another building but not sure about the details)

If bouldering is key, I think Manhattan Plaza Health club is probably your best bet. It’s ~$20 and open in the afternoon. It has a climbing area, a separate boulder area, plus a chimney.

I’ve never been to Central Park so I can’t advise you there.

Hope this helps.

bootstrapping

Oct 26, 2007, 4:05 PM
Post #15 of 16 (1224 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chelsea piers is not worth it. many ppl seem to say that it is the only good wall in the city, but i was not very impressed.

ccc is mainly a toproping gym. about 13 ropes. they do have a cave to boulder. and you can traverse. but like any other gym, in the toproping area, you cannot boulder above a certain point. even though the walls are short, the routes are usually pretty good. and since they are short, often bouldery in nature too, depending on who is setting.

mphc has a toproping room and a bouldering room. probably your best bet, if all you are looking for is some indoor bouldering in nyc. (i certainly would not pay for the chelsea piers day pass.)

and if the weather is decent, you can check out rat rock or cat rock in central park.

RockNYC

Nov 5, 2007, 10:09 PM
Post #16 of 16 (1146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out The Rock Center in New Rochelle 20 minute train ride from NYC and it is 3X the size of Chelsea Piers for a fraction of the cost.
In reply to:

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook