Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Untouched Crags Near Echo
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

jsunmatthews

Nov 1, 2007, 4:35 PM
Post #1 of 8 (2348 views)
Shortcut

Untouched Crags Near Echo  (North_America: United_States: California: Los_Angeles_County: Echo_Cliffs)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I flew over Echo Cliffs the other day coming back from a trip north and was pretty astounded at how many additional HUUUUUUGE rock formations lie just west of the area. No mention of them in any guide book I have found. Are these all on Circle X Property? I'm speaking specifically of the few big walls that come into view as you approach the parking area for echo, but man there's gotta be another dozen crags in the valley north of that. I'm sure somebody has been out to them.

jdouble

Nov 1, 2007, 4:39 PM
Post #2 of 8 (2345 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsunmatthews] Untouched Crags Near Echo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lots o' rock up there!!!! A few crags have been developed, do you have L. Anderson's guide book? Climbing in the Santa Monicas. A few are listed.

You can contact socalbolter on this site for more info (L. Anderson).

Jay

jsunmatthews

Nov 1, 2007, 4:48 PM
Post #3 of 8 (2335 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdouble] Untouched Crags Near Echo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Jay, yeah I have his book. Thought I'd hit all the smaller crags by Echo but either I was dreaming or there's a lifetime of additional unmentioned stuff hiding out there. Assuming it's an access/private property issue but man some of those big rocks look tempting. There was so much out there when I looked out the window I thought we'd made a wrong turn over Red Rocks till I saw the ocean. =P

jdouble

Nov 1, 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #4 of 8 (2330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsunmatthews] Untouched Crags Near Echo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ha! Also, if you drive East down all those different canyon roads into the valley you see tons of very interesting looking formations. I would imagine there are many private property issues as well as 'choss issues'.

papa_eos

Nov 3, 2007, 4:32 PM
Post #5 of 8 (2260 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jdouble] Untouched Crags Near Echo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say the choss is the key reason....Echo is basically choss disguised as so. cal sport climbing's finest.Wink Until (if/when/never?) Williamson re-opens.

jt512

Nov 3, 2007, 4:48 PM
Post #6 of 8 (2254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [papa_eos] Untouched Crags Near Echo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

papa_eos wrote:
I would say the choss is the key reason....Echo is basically choss disguised as so. cal sport climbing's finest.Wink Until (if/when/never?) Williamson re-opens.

Echo's a better crag than Williamson, chossiness notwithstanding. Williamson's got maybe 10 routes that are really worthwhile. The area is just too slabby.

Jay

tecais

Nov 29, 2007, 10:51 PM
Post #7 of 8 (2165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Untouched Crags Near Echo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My wife and I have scrambled over and explored most if not all the big formations covering the Boney plateau. Indeed, choss is the operative word - a lot of cleaning would be needed to develop lines not very different from what already exist climbing wise. The approaches can be a hellish battle with scrub too. The one wall that impressed me the most is the big shady north face above the Danielson Monument off Wendy Drive. It is almost vertical and unbroken for 200' with a couple of black water streaks down the middle. Usually these water streaks mean clean(er) rock. We got to the top by a long, roundabout hike on the trail that would discourage most climbers but found it non-trivial to solo around under the base. Lots of bad brush there to contend with.

papa_eos

Dec 1, 2007, 4:15 AM
Post #8 of 8 (2115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tecais] Untouched Crags Near Echo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

And you didn't pick up any poison oak? You must be immune. Last time I did some searching in the Santa Monica's I got it pretty bad.Pirate

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook