Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

time2clmb

Nov 11, 2007, 4:47 PM
Post #26 of 138 (2562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sungam] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ahhh these threads are always good for a laugh. You got the ones that feel all high and mighty and no one else should be wearing "their" clothing becase dammit...i'm the real core one.

Then you got those that think they are core because they only wear cheap clothing and only yuppy poseurs wear name brands.

Ocassionally you will get one here and there that doesn't really care because they actually do climb and can't be bothered with such petty shit.

bootstrapping

Nov 11, 2007, 5:24 PM
Post #27 of 138 (2542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what is a reservoir tip?

elnero

Nov 11, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #28 of 138 (2538 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
I'm waiting for the day I see someone with their keys on a draw. I would laugh right in their face. Sly

Theres a guy in one of my courses who has an osprey pack, two BD autolockers on his nalgenes and a BD quickdraw clipped between the top and bottom on one of the pack shoulder straps...

I find this funny more than annoying.... very funny.

Overall, I just think it's silly that people, including outdoorsy people, spend so much on stuff they don't need. I mean, the majority of climbers and backpackers don't need the fancy jackets they buy.
just funny is all.

gargrantuan

Nov 11, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #29 of 138 (2535 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
.... I'd be tired. And probably sore. Might be knocked up, too.

<3

that is my kind of response. you're my new best friend.

stymingersfink

Nov 11, 2007, 5:46 PM
Post #30 of 138 (2525 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curtis_g] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curtis_g wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
where do we stand on non-boulderers wearing reservoir tips?

I think this question dates you a bit. While I've heard of them in folklore, I have yet to seen a non-reservoir tip.

I'm not sure what sort of dig you were trying to make but I thought it was damn funny anyways.
Knit caps of the longer variety not pulled snug with the edges rolled up, resulting in that "reservoir tip" look?

PFG. Always has been, always will be.

geogoddess

Nov 11, 2007, 5:51 PM
Post #31 of 138 (2521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gargrantuan] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gargrantuan wrote:
geogoddess wrote:
.... I'd be tired. And probably sore. Might be knocked up, too.

<3

that is my kind of response. you're my new best friend.
you'll have to share with jgloporto, okay? he staked a BFF claim a couple weeks ago.

I remember my ex got all bent when Mountain Hardware started making clothes for *gasp* women!! He was like, well there goes the company, selling out!

(Edited: How did I miss a PTFTW, I must need another up of coffee)

(This post was edited by geogoddess on Nov 11, 2007, 5:52 PM)

curtis_g

Nov 11, 2007, 7:22 PM
Post #32 of 138 (2494 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
curtis_g wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
where do we stand on non-boulderers wearing reservoir tips?

I think this question dates you a bit. While I've heard of them in folklore, I have yet to seen a non-reservoir tip.

I'm not sure what sort of dig you were trying to make but I thought it was damn funny anyways.
Knit caps of the longer variety not pulled snug with the edges rolled up, resulting in that "reservoir tip" look?

PFG. Always has been, always will be.

haha, alright, in that case, I'm against it for non-boulderers.

wiki

Nov 11, 2007, 9:03 PM
Post #33 of 138 (2461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bootstrapping] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bootstrapping wrote:
what is a reservoir tip?

I'm glad I'm not he only one who doesn't know...

BTW my keys are on a draw - I can clip my keys to my roof rack AND open beer with it. mmm beer...

(I did find it at the bottom of a crag in mank condition - shame to waste it... I have the most hard core keys hehehe)

Everyone here should grow up Smile

the_peak_bagger

Nov 11, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #34 of 138 (2456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

HELL yeah i cant staind that, it drives me nuts when i see some one wearing north face,

fancyclaps

Nov 11, 2007, 10:43 PM
Post #35 of 138 (2432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [elnero] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You obviously have never gotten a shitty "water-proof" jacket.

After going through three "water-proof" jackets, I finally ponied up and dropped some coin on a nice piece from Patagonia. You know what? It works. For a lot of things there might be no difference between the cheap shit and the expensive shit, but for jackets it can mean the difference between being wet and miserable day after day and being dry and happy.

iamkillbill

Nov 11, 2007, 11:43 PM
Post #36 of 138 (2404 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by iamkillbill [In reply to]
Report this Post

wildthing14

Nov 11, 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #37 of 138 (2387 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamkillbill] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i say dress however you like as long as it works for what you are doing, if you are really hard core your skills should show it. me, i like comfort, if it is comfortable and i like how it looks i will wear it, name brand or not. Wink

(This post was edited by wildthing14 on Nov 12, 2007, 12:14 AM)

andypro

Nov 12, 2007, 3:55 AM
Post #38 of 138 (2328 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I work at a lot of colleges and universities, and I always laugh at people...follow this:

Inner city community college with a tuition of about 1500 a semester. As you can imagine, there arent a lot of yuppie types going here. When it's 5 degrees outside, they're all dressed to the hilt, but nobody is "cold". Or at least not complaining about it.

Private university with a tuition about 10 times that of the abov ementioned college. Everyone is wearing TNF shells with a 200 weight TNF fleece. Occasionally you'll see an arcteryx shell. all of whom are bithcing non stop about how horribly cold it is, and that they cant believe they were required to come to class blah blah blah bitch bitch bitch.

Seems to me that you obviously dont get what you pay for with higher education Tongue

I'm mostly a marmot kinda guy. I like the way all the stuff fits me. It's perfect. I had someone come up to me once while I was at a university and ask if I climbed. I was kind of confused and asked him how he knew something like that. He pointed out that I was wearing a Marmot Mountain jacket and that the morons all around us wouldn't bother with marmot clothing because they don't have the image that TNF does. Needless to say, I was impressed!

--Andy P

backclipped

Nov 12, 2007, 4:07 AM
Post #39 of 138 (2326 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummm, skating used to be my bag. Like, from middle school through college I just kicked, pushed, and coasted. Now I climb, but I still wear fatty balloon shoes, sloppy draws and hoodies. SFW. Money is for burning. I'll wear my Himalayan suit to the ice skating rink if I fucking want to. What are any of you going to do about it?

docjacen

Nov 12, 2007, 4:53 AM
Post #40 of 138 (2315 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andypro] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in grad school, had a dude walking behind me one day that said, "hey, do you climb, or do you just like wearing Prana around school?" Yeah. I climb. And I like the way Prana and Arcteryx fit and feel and how long they last. I have the money, I might as well buy what I like. But I don't buy for image and I think people who do should learn about functionality.

jaybro

Nov 12, 2007, 5:38 AM
Post #41 of 138 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Same situation on this side of the pond. i think it has to be that way. No way those companies could stay in business if they only sold to people who really coul use that stuff. Most of those can't afford it, anyway.

timd

Nov 12, 2007, 9:30 AM
Post #42 of 138 (2283 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbsomething wrote:
No. We don't have that problem in the States. Not. At. All.

"They're not kool enough to wear our jacket" threads come up like, once a month or three. Don't forget to mention how you hate it when some zomg douchebag frat boy clips a full-strength biner to their backpack or keychain, or uses a Nalgene bottle.

I will, however, have to put "kit" in my bucket of UK slang that I am too American to use. Maybe that will balance out the North Face fleece I rightfully wear..
umm....What color is the fleece?

fishbelly

Nov 12, 2007, 2:35 PM
Post #43 of 138 (2247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am getting old. I remember if you met some one in TFN you had some activitie in common. MT. Hardware was not thought of yet.
Now I pick my son up at the High School I see the kids wearing TFN fleece . Its June in Alabama. Thats great marketing.

How do we feel about non bikers wearing bike shorts .

Or the skinny guy wearing speedos at the flea market.

crankyclimber

Nov 12, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #44 of 138 (2233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw a man, 50's, at a gym walking around in climbing shoes. And no, it was not a climbing gym.
I wear Prana. I do yoga. I also shop at their big sale so I get everything 50% off.BTW it's in Dec for all SoCal folks.

desertwanderer81

Nov 12, 2007, 3:47 PM
Post #45 of 138 (2220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

***This Just In***

In a sudden wave of attacks, scores of climbers swarm city folk wearing Northface gear and stealing it.

One victim states that he heard his attacker ranting, "*I* need this gear! You don't need it to walk your dog around the block!!" as the attack stripped the victim down with his calloused fingers.

Authorities warn that these climbers are not to be approached and are to be considered armed (with ice axes) and slightly crazy.

geogoddess

Nov 12, 2007, 4:17 PM
Post #46 of 138 (2209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
***This Just In***

In a sudden wave of attacks, scores of climbers swarm city folk wearing Northface gear and stealing it.

One victim states that he heard his attacker ranting, "*I* need this gear! You don't need it to walk your dog around the block!!" as the attack stripped the victim down with his calloused fingers.

Authorities warn that these climbers are not to be approached and are to be considered armed (with ice axes) and slightly crazy.
Love that post!

petsfed

Nov 12, 2007, 4:43 PM
Post #47 of 138 (2195 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Eh, I'm over it. All of the hunters and snowmobilers have gone nuts for mountain hardwear, so they're easy to pick out. Skiers also like their high quality outdoor gear. And I wear my Patagonia parka (bought on pro-deal) and my beyond fleece softshell day in and day out because they work and where I live, effective wind protection usually only comes with high end shell materials.

I cannot help but laugh at the people who have their climbing shoes strapped to the exterior of their packs while walking around town. "Yeah, I'm goin' to the gym later, brah! See ya there?" Except its 15 degrees outside and you'll lose about half an hour waiting for the shoes to warm up enough that you can actually climb in them. Good work, "brah."

I actually get more tired of the climbers who insist on broadcasting that they climb to the world. To be certain, virtually all of the t-shirts I own indicate that I climb. But that's only because they keep giving them to me, and I haven't had to buy a t-shirt in nearly 6 years. But I don't actively seek out these things. Most simply put, if you're serious about climbing, you'll end up looking like a climber without too much effort.

billgoat

Nov 12, 2007, 5:14 PM
Post #48 of 138 (2184 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bootstrapping] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bootstrapping wrote:
what is a reservoir tip?
its a Beanie when its on some boulderers head it looks like a condom w/a reservoir tip unrolled on a johnson, which it is ,no?Wink

Valarc

Nov 12, 2007, 5:48 PM
Post #49 of 138 (2148 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
I cannot help but laugh at the people who have their climbing shoes strapped to the exterior of their packs while walking around town.

I have to keep em strapped on the outside, brah! Seriously, with the way my feet reek, if I put my shoes into my pack, it would smell like a family of skunks was acting out the aristocrats joke in there.

As far as everyone bitching about the gear - who gives a rat's ass? If I put on a mountain hardwear jacket and it fits me and keeps me warm, why wouldn't I buy it? I grew up wearing a lot of horrid wal-mart and sears jackets in the Pennsylvania winters, and I wish my parents would have been willing to shell out the bucks for some of that gear that you elitists think only real hardmen should be wearing. I spent far too many years wearing so much puffy shit I looked like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man.

gargrantuan

Nov 12, 2007, 6:08 PM
Post #50 of 138 (2132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] If you took every guy on the street... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't see how people are upset about "others" wearing the north face or marmot considering both companies pretty much suck. their shit is made so cheaply that you buy it knowing that it'll be disposable after a season or two of use. NEVER pay anywhere near full price for their gear as it was never meant to last. thus, it is perfect for people in cities who aren't going to be using it.

my favorite story is about a sponsored Marmot climber telling us that their shit sucks and that if he weren't getting it for free he wouldn't be seen in it.

aside -- i have a TNF Nuptse down jacket and a Marmot Flurry jacket, both were purchased for about $100 a piece and both are pretty junky.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook