Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

jt512

Oct 11, 2002, 10:26 PM
Post #26 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Aluminum on your rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't understand the way some of the posters in this thread think. I post an abstract from a very recent review article appearing in a peer-review medical journal that says that not only is aluminum neurotoxic, but that there are several suspected mechanisms, and I get replies like, "there's no definitive evidence," "there's nothing to worry about," "it's not toxic in the amounts we come into contact with," and "my psych teacher says it's ok."

Could someone please explain to me how, in light of the published data I posted, you can maintain your opinions that there is no risk from aluminum ingestion.

Thanks in advance. This should be most enlightening.

-Jay

ajkclay

Oct 12, 2002, 3:00 AM
Post #27 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ROPE DRYING: I just wind the washing machine dial around to Spin, put the rope in evenly to balance, and VOILA! Dry rope!

ajkclay

Oct 12, 2002, 3:13 AM
Post #28 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:

Campbell A. The POTENTIAL role of aluminium in Alzheimer's disease. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2002;17 Suppl 2:17-20.

JT, as you would know, you can pretty much find someone who is willing to suggest just about anything. Quoting a portion of a report is a commonly used, and legitimate way of supporting an arguement, but it doesn't mean it's rock solid. There are other reports out there that don't support the idea. It does say 'potential' in the report title, which suggests to me that the author wasn't willing to stick their neck out by making a definitive statement, so it's still up for debate.
I'm actually writing this when I should be researching an essay topic, so if I'm going to research anything to the level required to continue the topic, it should be for my Professor.
I did actually find your entry interesting though, and will look up the report in a couple of weeks when I am done with exams, it sounds interesting.

climbingpride

Oct 12, 2002, 8:55 PM
Post #29 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That alzhimers stuff is good and all but which ones do i trust?

Sorry, but i have one more quetion about rope washing. Does it make a diffrence to have a dry treated rope when washing it?

Pride

P.S. My Grandpa died of Alzhimers. Is it genic also?

SPELLING EDIT

[ This Message was edited by: climbingpride on 2002-10-12 13:57 ]

jt512

Oct 14, 2002, 10:18 PM
Post #30 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:JT, as you would know, you can pretty much find someone who is willing to suggest just about anything. Quoting a portion of a report is a commonly used, and legitimate way of supporting an arguement...

First of all, I don't make arguments, but rather try to post factual informatin. I did not go and seek out an article that supported a position I held. In fact, before I made my post, I had no idea whether Al and AD were linked. What I found in Medline were numerous articles on the subject, all of which suggested that Al is still suspect in the etiology of AD.

Quote:
There are other reports out there that don't support the idea.

I doubt you know this, but if there are any, they are a minority, at least within the last couple of years. I looked at the first couple of pages of Medline listings, which are sorted in reverse chronological order, and couldn't find any that exhonerated Al.

Quote:
It does say 'potential' in the report title, which suggests to me that the author wasn't willing to stick their neck out by making a definitive statement, so it's still up for debate.

"Potential" means just that. There is evidence that makes Al suspect in AD, but it is not yet proven.

One thing I don't understand is the thinking, "it's not yet proven, so it isn't." There was a time that it wasn't proven (some would argue that it is still not) that cigarette smoking caused lung disease, but it still did.

-Jay

[ This Message was edited by: jt512 on 2002-10-14 15:38 ]

pelliott

Oct 14, 2002, 10:35 PM
Post #31 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aluminum on rope? How about aluminum cans, aluminum foil, aluminum pans, aluminum everything else? We are doomed.

[ This Message was edited by: pelliott on 2002-10-14 15:36 ]

menotyou

Oct 15, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #32 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote:First of all, I don't make arguments, but rather try to post factual informatin. I did not go and seek out an article that supported a position I held. In fact, before I made my post, I had no idea whether Al and AD were linked. What I found in Medline were numerous articles on the subject, all of which suggested that Al is still suspect in the etiology of AD.

Unfortunately there are no “factual” articles linking Aluminum and Alzheimer’s. These articles are merely educated opinions based on research. They are at best guesses. In science there are generally few fact, just “accepted” ideas.

Quote:Quote:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are other reports out there that don't support the idea.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt you know this, but if there are any, they are a minority, at least within the last couple of years. I looked at the first couple of pages of Medline listings, which are sorted in reverse chronological order, and couldn't find any that exhonerated Al.

When you research a subject it’s best to look at more then one source. I don’t have time to do extensive research on Alzheimer’s however after visiting the Alzheimer’s Association and the Alzheimer’s Society and I found both sites suggesting that Aluminum has a very insignificant rule in causing the disease.

The following quote come from The Alzheimer’s Society (http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/)

Quote:“There is circumstantial evidence linking this metal with Alzheimer's disease but no causal relationship has yet been proved. As evidence for other causes continues to grow, a possible link with aluminium seems increasingly unlikely.“
The Alzheimer’s Association (http://alz.org/) had this to say,
Quote:“The exact role (if any) of aluminum in Alzheimer’s disease is still being researched and debated. However, most researchers believe that not enough evidence exists to consider aluminum a risk factor for Alzheimer’s or a cause of dementia.”

Quote:"Potential" means just that. There is evidence that makes Al suspect in AD, but it is not yet proven.

One thing I don't understand is the thinking, "it's not yet proven, so it isn't." There was a time that it wasn't proven (some would argue that it is still not) that cigarette smoking caused lung disease, but it still did.

Try and count the number of people you know with cell phones. For years people thought cell phones might cause brain cancer. Turns out they don’t.
Just because research is being done doesn’t mean we should all panic and go change the way we live. I’m not saying we shouldn’t do anything about it until it’s been proven, but we shouldn’t all freak out because something is “potentially” bad for us.

One a side note:

From Alzheimer’s Society (http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/)
Quote:“Only a minute proportion of the aluminium we ingest from these various sources is absorbed by the body, and even this small fraction is usually excreted in the urine or harmlessly deposited in bone which acts as a 'sink' to remove aluminium.

So effective are these mechanisms that it is estimated that the adult human body contains 30-50mg of aluminium - far less than the amount in a single antacid tablet!”

climbingpride

Oct 15, 2002, 4:08 AM
Post #33 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL....Usualy it's me doing the argueing.

Pride [ This Message was edited by: climbingpride on 2002-10-14 21:26 ]

wv5ten

Dec 4, 2002, 3:03 PM
Post #34 of 34 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My feelings is this, I have yet to hear of anyone dying of eating after rock climbing, and it being linked to the belaying device. So Im going to climb. wash my hands. eat. and repeat.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook