RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

prayer_flags_waving

Nov 18, 2007, 7:59 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Dogs becoming a problem (joshua tree)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently there has been an increasing trend of climbers wondering around JTree with their dogs. This last Saturday at Josh I saw at least two unleashed dogs with climbers wondering around the desert. Another longtime Josh climber told me that they saw a ranger calling out to a climber about their dog in the Real Hidden Valley. The climber ran away but the ranger caught up with her. This kind of child-like behavior hurts all of us who love to climb at JTree.

Rules for Dogs at JTree:
The rules for all National Parks require dogs to be: ON A LEASH ONLY IN CAMPGOUNDS OR PARKING LOTS! Dogs cannot be on trails or in the backcountry for any reason.

The rangers are seeing more climbers breaking the laws and damaging the environment in National Parks. We damage vegetation with numerous approach trails, with bouldering pads, belay locations and descent routes. We, as climbers, are walking on thin ice with the Park Service as well as other land managers and owners.

If climbers keep breaking the rules the Park Service will limit or ban climbing. Believe me, the Park Service have the power and will. Remember when Hueco Tanks was unregulated to climbers? Or maybe the Park Sevice will find some endangered plant, insect, amphibian, or animal to justify banning climbing (Williamson Rock rings a bell)to punish us for our transgressions.

Please keep your dog at home. Respect the rights of other climbers; play by the Park Service rules, stay on trails, be very careful to avoid damaging vegetation, be respectful of the rangers,.....just try to be a ambassador of good will that represents climbers as responsible, humble and environmentally conscience. Otherwise we could have our assumed rights yanked by the authorities so fast that he only place left will be the some indoor gym.

P.S.
Don't get me wrong I have nothing against dogs. I love dogs. My two female dogs are better companions than most of the two legged human variety. Their more loyal, always accepting and loving, and always excited to see me. But they stay at home when I go climbing.

http://www.supertopo.com/climbing/thread.html?topic_id=485208

climbingaggie03

Nov 18, 2007, 8:23 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [prayer_flags_waving] Dogs becoming a problem (joshua tree) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are there any fliers posted on the boards in hidden valley? I'd spent over a month in josh before I found out that Dogs weren't allowed. I don't travel with a dog but have seen tons of dogs in the climbing areas and didn't think anything of it cause I didn't know the rules about dogs. I bet there are rules posted on the board, or at the self pay station, but like most people I don't usually read those.

I know that there are some people that will take their dog regardless, but I think there are alot of dog owners out there that don't know the rules of Josh and so fliers or some sort of education might help with the problem and protect access.

Banks

Nov 18, 2007, 9:31 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Dogs becoming a problem (joshua tree) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbingaggie,
Ignorance to the rules is not an excuse. There are plenty of postings about dogs in the park. You have admitted to not reading the info boards but suggest putting up fliers or some other education system. How about actually reading the info boards. Its up to the dog owners to know the rules. Simple solution, if you're a dog owner and don't know the rules, ask the ranger as you enter the park.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook