RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

geogoddess

Nov 27, 2007, 3:41 AM
Post #1 of 13 (3262 views)
Shortcut

Your Christmas Present Is Ready!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've long coveted those sweet altimeter-compass-timepieces that track vertical elevation gain/loss and altitude. I've admired them on my guy friends & co-workers & ski partners, I've borrowed them, tried them on, but they all weigh like 2 lbs and dangle from my slender wrist like an oversized charm. Nobody makes them for women.

Suunto now makes a women's mountain-training watch with an altimeter, compass, and barometer. It tracks vertical elevation gain/loss, converts easily between meters/feet, and apparantly speaks several languages. (I only note this because I accidentally programmed mine to speak German, right out of the box. I had to call Tech Support to fix it). It will make a profile of your alt/elev change vs time. And it has a couple other handy features, like keeping track of sunrise/sunset times so you don't get caught after dark; and a countdown to a special day (like when W leaves office, YEAH!) The barometer is accurate enuf. I bought a 'carabiner jacket' for mine, it wraps around the watch and has a link to clip thru a keychain or 'biner.

I love mine. Finally, everything I wanted. In a watch, that is Cool

The Suunto Lumi

http://www.suunto.com/interactive/Lumi/

(and no, I don't work for Suunto, but I was so stoked with my watch, I thought you might want to get one, too)

Partner macherry

Nov 27, 2007, 4:36 AM
Post #2 of 13 (3252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] Your Christmas Present Is Ready!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

how do you like the strap? It looked a little funky to me. But, on the whole i fell in love with the watch when i first saw it.

I have a highgear and i love it, save for the size.

thanks for the review

brewer19

Nov 27, 2007, 10:42 AM
Post #3 of 13 (3227 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have the Suunto X6, which is one of those supersized HR monitors that feels like a 2lb weight on your wrist. it's nice, but not my favorite thing to wear, just because i only use it for the heart rate monitor and as a time piece. the other programs on it, although really spiff and fun to play with, just aren't that reliable. the altimeter is based on the barometric pressure, so if a storm is moving in, you can stand still and watch your altitude change.

however i did just check the compass and it is accurate, but a bit finicky so it's hard to get a reading.

just figured i'd throw in my $.02. all in all it's a good machine, I just wouldn't bet my life on it working when i need it to.

geogoddess

Nov 27, 2007, 4:51 PM
Post #4 of 13 (3195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] Your Christmas Present Is Ready!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No matter how tight I buckle it, if I'm active, the watch can slide down my arm and clunk against my wristbone or even over my wrist. That bugs the crap out of me. The sliding is only a problem when I'm active and flexing my mighty forearm muscles.... (yeah right!) But when I'm being an office brat its fine. Its a cute strap, mine is a sporty red-orange color.

Maybe the strap needs to be made out of something stretchy?

That is one of the reasons I bought the "carabiner jacket" because I could bring the watch along when working, but not have to wear it, or I can till use it when my arm is buried under layers.

I also am not sure if its waterproof, and I am the queen of accidentally soaking my gear.

Most altimeters are based on Hg pressure responses to barometric pressure changes. For vertical accuracy in the presence of changing weather, a GPS is the way to go, but that is a whole 'nother gadget and $$$. I like the barometer, even though it messes with the altitude; I can tell if weather is coming. Way more reliable than the weatherman.

Overall though, I love the watch- size, weight, and easy to read numbers are good. The dial face is much better sized for us grrrls' wrists. Suunto did a good job with this one.

reno

Dec 6, 2007, 1:27 PM
Post #5 of 13 (3004 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brewer19] Your Christmas Present Is Ready!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brewer19 wrote:
the altimeter is based on the barometric pressure, so if a storm is moving in, you can stand still and watch your altitude change.

All altimeters (well, except for radar altimeters) are based on changes in barometric pressure. Thus the need to calibrate your barometer at least once a week to a reliable source.

http://www.weatherunderground.com is what I use. Click on your state, find the closest town, and set your barometer to the one given there.

traddad

Dec 6, 2007, 2:44 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2993 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Your Christmas Present Is Ready!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
brewer19 wrote:
the altimeter is based on the barometric pressure, so if a storm is moving in, you can stand still and watch your altitude change.

All altimeters (well, except for radar altimeters) are based on changes in barometric pressure. Thus the need to calibrate your barometer at least once a week to a reliable source.

http://www.weatherunderground.com is what I use. Click on your state, find the closest town, and set your barometer to the one given there.

As a stream ecologist, I take % dissolved oxygen readings whenever I go into the field. We calibrate our meters by calling the local airport. You can also calibrate an altimeter by finding an object of a known altitude (USGS benchmarks, airports, etc).
I used to have a compass with a bubble in it. You could watch the bubble expand and contract as the storms rolled through. Sometimes it's down right scarey just how fast it happens....

geogoddess

Dec 6, 2007, 5:04 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2970 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Your Christmas Present Is Ready!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We used to do groundwater monitoring at an Air Force Base on Guam, so when we were sampling, we'd call the flight guys to get accurate weather info- temps, barometric pressure, etc. For some reason we often had to get humidity readings, which provoked their consternation to no end: they said it was very complicated and required using a chart they affectionately nicknamed "The Wheel of Confusion"

That always cracked me up, I always meant to go visit them and find out what that was.

reno

Dec 6, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2951 views)
Shortcut

Re: [traddad] Your Christmas Present Is Ready!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
reno wrote:
brewer19 wrote:

As a stream ecologist, I take % dissolved oxygen readings whenever I go into the field. We calibrate our meters by calling the local airport....

I thought to mention using the airport info as well, but came upon two stumbling blocks:

1. Not every town has an airport.
2. Even in those towns where there is an airport, not everyone has an aviation radio that can pick up the ADIS/AWOS frequency. Wink

But, if you prefer using aviation weather sources, http://aviationweather.gov/ is a good source.

bent_gate

Dec 7, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #9 of 13 (2876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Your Christmas Present Is Ready!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A non-user question.

If you live at a specific altitude or are at a spot with very accurate altitude, couldn't you just calibrate it with the correct altitude (and therefore should probably also give you the correct barometric pressure).

slablizard

Dec 7, 2007, 8:13 PM
Post #10 of 13 (2871 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Your Christmas Present Is Ready!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm in love with this one...

Tissot T-touch...

reno

Dec 8, 2007, 12:10 AM
Post #11 of 13 (2841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:
A non-user question.

If you live at a specific altitude or are at a spot with very accurate altitude, couldn't you just calibrate it with the correct altitude (and therefore should probably also give you the correct barometric pressure).

Yeah, assuming the barometric pressure is "normal" for that given altitude (read: good, stable weather.) As storms move in, barometric pressure drops. As nice weather moves in after a storm, the pressure rises.

Best way is to calibrate barometric pressure to sea level on a clear, sunny day. Typically, this is around 30.02 inHg, if memory serves.

But that's not always an option. Especially for people who live in the mountains, as folks who would have such a watch often are. Wink

geogoddess

Dec 10, 2007, 8:32 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bent_gate wrote:
A non-user question.

Thats what we always did, calibrate our altimeters at camp or a known benchmark every morning before we set out. Worked well enough.

traddad

Dec 11, 2007, 2:11 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
bent_gate wrote:
A non-user question.

Thats what we always did, calibrate our altimeters at camp or a known benchmark every morning before we set out. Worked well enough.
Exactly. That's also how we calibrated our skydiving altimeters.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook