RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

trisgo

Dec 4, 2007, 8:19 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Rack for High Rocks PA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,
I spent years toproping at highrocks every weekend and then moved crosscountry. Since I moved, ive spent the last 2 years learning trad/aid. Now me and some of the people ive been learning trad from have been talking about taking a trip back east to head up to the gunks. I would really like to take a side trip down to high rocks to complete a dream of leading neandrathal (bad at spelling). Unfortunaly ive had a hard time finding any beta online. Do any of you have any info on what type of rack would work best or know where i can find topos online?

bizarrodrinker

Dec 4, 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [trisgo] Rack for High Rocks PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Leading (read falling) on gear at highrocks is a death wish. You might as well just solo that choss pile.

brewer19

Dec 4, 2007, 8:25 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a guide book floating around somewhere, (Andy you don't happen to have that do you?) but it doesn't give much info. I'll take a look when I get home from Uni next weekend. I'm sure you can do it with a set of nuts and a few small to mid size cams (i.e. #2 camalot being the largest you'd need). to be honest the rock sucks so I don't climb there often, but i'll take a look and let you know.

kmc

Dec 5, 2007, 9:04 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1271 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with everyone else. That rock is terrible, why would you want to lead (or even climb) on that chossy, loose rock. Especially if your planning on going to the Gunks. Why not spend that extra day in the Gunks and get an extra 10 high quality routes, on good rock, that are well protected, instead of climbing one climb that is OK, for that crag.

If that is your dream though, then I suppose a standard rack of stoppers and cams up to 2", just dont fall on any of it.

~Kevin

mushroomsamba

Dec 7, 2007, 2:26 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1254 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brewer19] Rack for High Rocks PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

brewer19 wrote:
I've got a guide book floating around somewhere, (Andy you don't happen to have that do you?) but it doesn't give much info. I'll take a look when I get home from Uni next weekend. I'm sure you can do it with a set of nuts and a few small to mid size cams (i.e. #2 camalot being the largest you'd need). to be honest the rock sucks so I don't climb there often, but i'll take a look and let you know.

gonna agree with kyle on this one. neanderthal is bolted "at least partially" buy the guide book online.

I thought you had the guide you stupid scot Tongue

lunchbag

Dec 25, 2007, 4:02 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1165 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroomsamba] Rack for High Rocks PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Had the pleasure of leading this route several weeks ago. This route is not bolted unless you want to rely on two old ring bolts that are worthless. Although for a Stover route, this is probably one of the better gear protected route I've encountered there. Moves off the ground are very polished but there is adequate gear. Load up on protection in the crack before the crux and go! 5.8 if you're tall and 5.9 if you're short . It is definitely worth doing!! If you can succeed at Stover you should be able to climb anywhere.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook