RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

Carnage

Dec 10, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1030 views)
Shortcut

New Holds at the new gym
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

a new gym recently opened in my area and im keep getting owned by the new holds.

i talked to the owner and he said that the holds have some sort of anti-mildew layer on them that gets worn off pretty quickly. This isnt a problem in the bouldering area since it is so popular, but the leading area isnt. It makes every clip (even on jugs) hard as shit. It feels like the hold just sucks the chalk off your hands and then makes you sweat. you end up w/ a layer of sweat under your hand pretty much right after you just chalked up.

so does anyone know any way to speed up this wear in process? if not, how long should i expect this to happen, taking into consideration that pretty much only me and my friends use the lead wall?

Thanks

Partner dominic7

Dec 10, 2007, 3:17 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] New Holds at the new gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
a new gym recently opened in my area and im keep getting owned by the new holds.

i talked to the owner and he said that the holds have some sort of anti-mildew layer on them that gets worn off pretty quickly. This isnt a problem in the bouldering area since it is so popular, but the leading area isnt. It makes every clip (even on jugs) hard as shit. It feels like the hold just sucks the chalk off your hands and then makes you sweat. you end up w/ a layer of sweat under your hand pretty much right after you just chalked up.

so does anyone know any way to speed up this wear in process? if not, how long should i expect this to happen, taking into consideration that pretty much only me and my friends use the lead wall?

Thanks

Not sure what you have to wash holds there - we have a dishwasher at our gym. Maybe running them through a wash cycle might accelerate the process?

Sounds like a good workout for contact strength. Embrace it, man!

BornGhost

Dec 10, 2007, 6:03 PM
Post #3 of 5 (943 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say you could try taking a brush to them. I'd clear that with the owner, of course, but if the bristles were stiff enough, it might be able to get rid of some of that layer.

wordless_chorus

Dec 10, 2007, 6:05 PM
Post #4 of 5 (938 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb that shit till its gone

norskagent

Dec 10, 2007, 6:18 PM
Post #5 of 5 (927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wordless_chorus] New Holds at the new gym [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In a year or so you may complain that the same holds are too slick. I think hold manufacturers have caught on and added more texture to help w/ grip after repeated prolonged use. Though they don't want them to stay grippy forever, so they can sell gyms new rounds of holds.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook