RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

orGanix

Dec 11, 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #1 of 17 (2648 views)
Shortcut

Length of rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

If my gym wall is 40ish feet high how long of a rope should I get for leading? 80 plus a little?

Or should I just buy a 50m and cut it in two to have a rope for later?

what's a good thickness for gym sport climbing?

I like to push my limits a bit trying the harder routes so I will be taking a few whippers I am sure.

moditup

Dec 11, 2007, 7:42 PM
Post #2 of 17 (2641 views)
Shortcut

Re: [orGanix] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why don't you just buy a 60M and then be able to go outdoors?

lithiummetalman

Dec 11, 2007, 7:51 PM
Post #3 of 17 (2627 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

60M rope
10.5mm thickness is a good start

jgloporto

Dec 11, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

orGanix wrote:
If my gym wall is 40ish feet high how long of a rope should I get for leading? 80 plus a little?

I like to push my limits a bit trying the harder routes so I will be taking a few whippers I am sure.

*C4F PM'd*Mad

coastal_climber

Dec 11, 2007, 8:10 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2599 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get a 60m rope, 10mm or thicker.

>Cam

jgloporto

Dec 11, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2590 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:

>Cam

It's your funeral.

shoo

Dec 11, 2007, 8:35 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

orGanix wrote:

Most retailers sell ropes that are 60m or 70m only. If you're only going to be climbing in the gym, you don't need all that, but aren't going to have much of a choice.

If you want to ruin a perfectly good rope and cut it for gym length use, you could buy a 70m rope and chop it in half (making sure to use proper rope whipping technique or you'll pretty much ruin it altogether). You need well more than 80 feet unless every route you climb is exactly straight up and down with no overhang or traverse whatsoever. Go for ~120 feet (~36.5m) or about half a 70m rope as mentioned before.

I've done the above once on a rope retired due to a soft spot. Chopped off the end with the spot, too short for outdoor use, but just fine for the gym.

As for thickness, go for medium/thicker ropes (10.1-10.5). You're clearly a beginner to leading. The thickness of the rope will add a bit more friction to the belay as well as making rope handling a bit easier. Rope drag usually isn't a problem in gyms, nor is weight of rope.

On another note, make sure your rope is dynamic, not static. I've actually had a friend go out and buy a rope for lead, only for me tell him he just wasted $150 on a static cord he can't use. No returns, either. Buy at a reputable store in person and be sure to ask a qualified, knowledgeable sales assistant to help you choose.

(This post was edited by shoo on Dec 11, 2007, 8:53 PM)

coastal_climber

Dec 11, 2007, 9:02 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2534 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:

>Cam

It's your funeral.

And you're not invited.

Arrogant_Bastard

Dec 13, 2007, 2:02 AM
Post #9 of 17 (2377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:
orGanix wrote:

Most retailers sell ropes that are 60m or 70m only. If you're only going to be climbing in the gym, you don't need all that, but aren't going to have much of a choice.

If you want to ruin a perfectly good rope and cut it for gym length use, you could buy a 70m rope and chop it in half (making sure to use proper rope whipping technique or you'll pretty much ruin it altogether). You need well more than 80 feet unless every route you climb is exactly straight up and down with no overhang or traverse whatsoever. Go for ~120 feet (~36.5m) or about half a 70m rope as mentioned before.

I've done the above once on a rope retired due to a soft spot. Chopped off the end with the spot, too short for outdoor use, but just fine for the gym.

As for thickness, go for medium/thicker ropes (10.1-10.5). You're clearly a beginner to leading. The thickness of the rope will add a bit more friction to the belay as well as making rope handling a bit easier. Rope drag usually isn't a problem in gyms, nor is weight of rope.

There are several online dealers that sell "short ropes". GearExpress for example. Save a bit of cash, but as said before, if you ever intend on venturing out into the real world (I know, I know, scary. Don't worry, I said if you ever, it doesn't have to be right away) you might as well just get a full 60m.

In reply to:
On another note, make sure your rope is dynamic, not static. I've actually had a friend go out and buy a rope for lead, only for me tell him he just wasted $150 on a static cord he can't use. No returns, either. Buy at a reputable store in person and be sure to ask a qualified, knowledgeable sales assistant to help you choose.

No offense, but your friend ain't that bright. Perhaps he should just TR.

ja1484

Dec 13, 2007, 2:12 AM
Post #10 of 17 (2363 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

orGanix wrote:

T2. You'll get some bites, but anyone with any sense will see it from a mile away.

moose_droppings

Dec 13, 2007, 3:15 AM
Post #11 of 17 (2326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I'll bite.

Go here and keep an eye out for at least a 90ft'r:

http://www.gearexpress.com/...amp;Category_Code=SR

I really believe you'll be happier in the end if you just got a 50m or 60m rope to start with and maybe some day you'll venture outside and need a longer rope. Won't hurt to have the extra rope flaked up in a bag beside you when your at the gym.

martinheynert

Dec 13, 2007, 7:56 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2266 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

40 ft = 13 meters. Just for the gym, a 30m gym rope (Edelrid Tower) is enough. For higher plastic walls, the 40m version could be a good alternative. For artificial walls, specially designed ropes with a thicker mantle will live longer. A thin high performance outdoor rope used on the very rough artificial wall is burning (your) money.

drjghl

Dec 14, 2007, 5:13 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have not done so already, I am going to assume that you plan to go outside to climb. Therefore, you want a rope that you can also use outdoors.

That said get a 60 meter rope. Do NOT buy a 50 meter. And I would recommend against a 70 meter.

If you are of substantial weight and/or you do a lot of hang dogging and/or you take lots of falls lean towards a thicker rope like 10.5. If you climb contrary to the above, get a 9.5.

markc

Dec 14, 2007, 5:47 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2169 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shoo] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shoo wrote:

I agree that most brick and mortar retailers I know of don't carry short ropes. As countless people have pointed out, Gear Express and other retailers do sell short sections of climbing rope from the end of production runs. At least at Gear Express, it will cost you about 65 cents per foot.

I don't see anything wrong with owning a short rope for gym routes or shorter crags, and having a 60m line for other purposes. The ultimate question is going to be if you're getting a good enough deal on the short rope that it makes more sense than going with a standard cord.

westbend

Dec 14, 2007, 6:28 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2142 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moor & Mountain (Brick and mortar) in Andover MA sells short ropes both dynamic and static.

I got a 25 meter rope for top roping at a small crag near by. I can put it, my TR anchor setup and personal gear all in one medium size back pack.

stymingersfink

Dec 20, 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #16 of 17 (2054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drjghl] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drjghl wrote:
If you have not done so already, I am going to assume that you plan to go outside to climb. Therefore, you want a rope that you can also use outdoors.
Don't encourage him. The crag's are too crowded already.

PatMcGinn

Dec 22, 2007, 1:58 AM
Post #17 of 17 (1949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [markc] Length of rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

markc wrote:
shoo wrote:

I agree that most brick and mortar retailers I know of don't carry short ropes. As countless people have pointed out, Gear Express and other retailers do sell short sections of climbing rope from the end of production runs. At least at Gear Express, it will cost you about 65 cents per foot.

I don't see anything wrong with owning a short rope for gym routes or shorter crags, and having a 60m line for other purposes. The ultimate question is going to be if you're getting a good enough deal on the short rope that it makes more sense than going with a standard cord.
Like the guy above said, unless you can get a good deal on some rope, than don't do it. My local outdoors shop sells some short ropes, and I got a great deal on a 25m dynamic rope, which works perfect for gyms, but it it's pricey than skip it and get a 60m.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook