Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

zakadamsgt

Dec 14, 2007, 1:43 PM
Post #1 of 26 (2167 views)
Shortcut

My nightmare
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Lasat night, I had the worst nightmare. I dreamed that I was climbing a route, and when I got finished, I went through all the motions of cleaning at the top. It was one of the most realistic dreams I've had in awhile. Anyways, there were obviously two bolts that I was anchored direct into while feeding the rope thru the bolts. I changed postitions from leaning on my left leg to leaning on my right leg, and as I shifted, the left bolt ripped out! There it was just hanging there. I felt a tremendous amount of fear in the dream. So I was yelling at my partner, who for some reason, couldn't hear me. So I quickly finished pulling the rope thru the good anchor, re-tied in and began to lower off the one bolt. I left the uppermost draw on the wall so I had two anchors to lower off of (I could have thrown a throw-away biner on there, but I was so scared that I had to get down quickly!). I cleaned the rest of the draws...
What a nightmare! I woke up sweating and couldnt sleep anymore....very realistic. The other night I dreamed I was alpine climbing some huge peak in S America. I had no idea what I was doing. Very freaky.
Any experience with climbing nightmares? I sure am having a lot!
peace in the least
Zach

coach_kyle

Dec 14, 2007, 2:39 PM
Post #2 of 26 (2113 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zakadamsgt] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got into climbing partially to get over an extreme irrational fear of heights. After my first day of trad climbing at Shiprock, NC, I couldn't sleep. Every time I started to doze off, I saw myself pitching face first over a cliff. I've gotten over most of it, but I still have some pretty viscious lead head sometimes. It usually leads to some sloppy climbing.

Partner angry

Dec 14, 2007, 3:37 PM
Post #3 of 26 (2056 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coach_kyle] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently had a dream that I was forced to climb a very tall aluminum sided structure with my ice tools at gunpoint. But it was aluminum so I got good sticks but I got in a fight with the gunmen up top cause my tools got broken in the process. I was going to kill them but my tools were broken.

guccipiggy

Dec 14, 2007, 3:42 PM
Post #4 of 26 (2051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I recently had a dream that I was forced to climb a very tall aluminum sided structure with my ice tools at gunpoint. But it was aluminum so I got good sticks but I got in a fight with the gunmen up top cause my tools got broken in the process. I was going to kill them but my tools were broken.
Did you happen to watch Cliffhanger before going to sleep that night?

Partner angry

Dec 14, 2007, 4:01 PM
Post #5 of 26 (2024 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guccipiggy] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guccipiggy wrote:

If you've got something bad to say about Cliffhanger go ahead and say it!!

cchas

Dec 14, 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #6 of 26 (2007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

and some of us STILL wonder why Vertical Limit and Cliffhanger never made jury selection at the Banff Film Festival...

guccipiggy

Dec 14, 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #7 of 26 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
guccipiggy wrote:

If you've got something bad to say about Cliffhanger go ahead and say it!!
Nothing bad about Cliffhanger. Just the mention of gunmen in your dream led me to believe that it may be what you were watching. Besides, I don't want Sly coming after me. He still looks plenty tough in the new Rambo movie.
Vertical Limit though is quite unrealistic. Jumping over gaps and dyno powercam placements....PFFFTT!
No worries about Chris O'Donnell coming after me.

drfelatio

Dec 14, 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #8 of 26 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This one time I dreamed that I was eating a large marshmallow and when I woke up my pillow was gone which is really strange because I don't even like marshmallows.

h4lf_rope

Dec 14, 2007, 4:57 PM
Post #9 of 26 (1937 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Having climbed Asphodel at the Gunks, my partner and I were getting ready to rappel. She had passed the rope through her ATC (but not the locker) when she took herself off anchor and began stepping off the ledge. I asked her to "F***ing put [herself] back on anchor," which she did, seeming a bit surprised. She finished setting up rappel and and we descended.

That night I had a nightmare about the rope popping out of her ATC and watching her take a 200' fall.

Before anyone asks: She's highly competent, I'm not trying to say otherwise. Anyone can screw up and get killed.

patmay81

Dec 14, 2007, 5:25 PM
Post #10 of 26 (1902 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drfelatio] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a dream I was drinking the worlds largest margaritta, and when I woke up the toilet bowl was lined with salt... pretty weird

Johnny_Fang

Dec 14, 2007, 5:31 PM
Post #11 of 26 (1896 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had this dream last night where everyone on rc.com started treating each other with respect. n00b's questions were answered directly and kindly, and they were welcomed to the sport with friendliness and appreciation. people learned the differences between the words "they're", "there", and "their", and "lose" and "loose". everyone learned to search for a topic before posting a question. high count posters learned to get back to work and stop wasting so much time on an internet forum. egomaniacs learned that what works for them doesn't always work for other people. there were no more posts asking which shoe/rope/harness to get.

what a nightmare!

EPiCJAMES

Dec 14, 2007, 5:51 PM
Post #12 of 26 (1870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drfelatio] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drfelatio wrote:
This one time I dreamed that I was eating a large marshmallow and when I woke up my pillow was gone which is really strange because I don't even like marshmallows.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, that's some good shit.

wonderwoman

Dec 14, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #13 of 26 (1819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guccipiggy wrote:
angry wrote:

The gunmen made him take off his shirt, too!

My climbing nightmare is rapping off the end of my anchors. I am NOT going out like that.

Carnage

Dec 14, 2007, 6:35 PM
Post #14 of 26 (1808 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wonderwoman] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i had a dream once where i was chewing gum. it started to get harder and harder to chew. then it started getting stuck to my teeth. eventually, it got so hard i couldnt chew, and my mouth was full of gum. it became harder and harder to breath because there was limited space for air to get through in the gum. eventually, all the holes started to fill up w/ spit and i started kinda choking. then i finally woke up wehn it got really bad. when i woke up, i discovered that my hand was jammed in my mouth, and i was drooling everywhere

worst nightmare i ever had.

hiyapokey

Dec 14, 2007, 8:19 PM
Post #15 of 26 (1744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So the recent Hubble Field experiment suggests that our universe if a very very large place. As such there is a finite number of ways that matter can be organized. If the universe is so large that it is by any human standard "infinite" then all possible ways that matter can be organized exist again and again throughout the universe. While plausible situations would occur again and again, the sheer volume of universe would almost dictate that even seemingly improbable situations would occur somewhere. One example of this is that somewhere else in the universe a guy called hiyapokey is typing this exact text on his Dell computer a bazillion light years away in his part of the universe. I think that it is not completely illogical to speculate that some of our strange but realistic dreams could be an actual experience that one of our alter selves in some other part of the universe is going through. What are the odds that an alter self would end this reply by typing "blogidering"? Please lucubrate.

Edited to note that the feeling of deja vu I had while writing this is because I shlepped this theory out in April in this thread.http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ble%20field;#1586638

(This post was edited by hiyapokey on Dec 14, 2007, 8:25 PM)

el_layclimber

Dec 14, 2007, 9:25 PM
Post #16 of 26 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hiyapokey] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I tend to have lucid dreams, and when I realize I am dreaming I will do things that I never do awake. In particular, being in a scary situation will make me realize I am dreaming.
When I do realize this, I tend to go and free-solo the nearest tall object in my dream. My list is getting pretty ticked.
After multi-pitch routes, I'll get accidental untying, or taking the whip dreams, but when I realize it's a dream I go ahead and let myself fall. It's kind of fun.

Partner angry

Dec 14, 2007, 9:36 PM
Post #17 of 26 (1652 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

el_layclimber wrote:
I tend to have lucid dreams,

Ever fuck someone so raw in a dream that you have a hard time looking at them the same?

Just a hypothetical.

knieveltech

Dec 14, 2007, 9:48 PM
Post #18 of 26 (1640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
el_layclimber wrote:
I tend to have lucid dreams,

Ever fuck someone so raw in a dream that you have a hard time looking at them the same?

Just a hypothetical.

LaughLaughLaugh
Classic

cavanaghrock

Dec 14, 2007, 10:03 PM
Post #19 of 26 (1622 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just read an interesting psyc article that hypothesized that dreams serve as a crisis training ground. When we're in dangerous situations, we have to react correctly, usually without time to ponder all the options. The theory was that we have nightmares so that we can experience a crisis simulation and decide how we would act, so that if it ever happens in real life we're prepared. I think the OPs dream fits in pretty well with that theory.

Partner angry

Dec 14, 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #20 of 26 (1614 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cavanaghrock] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cavanaghrock wrote:
I just read an interesting psyc article that hypothesized that dreams serve as a crisis training ground. When we're in dangerous situations, we have to react correctly, usually without time to ponder all the options. The theory was that we have nightmares so that we can experience a crisis simulation and decide how we would act, so that if it ever happens in real life we're prepared. I think the OPs dream fits in pretty well with that theory.

Do ALL dreams work this way or just some? I've very rarely had dreams that are bad like that.\

One I remember was getting put in jail for hacking a bunch of people up and having to explain that to my family (seriously).

Falling dreams were basically me riding my bike down a familiar trail, then when I realized I was on the bike I wrecked. I've had like one where it was me climbing then I fell.

In my dreams, I can fly. It's usually more akin to swimming but I can soar through the air. If something shitty happens I usually just make it stop then do something cartoonish to fix it. Unless my dreams are training me for the day that I'm Goku, I really don't think there's much to that theory.

majid_sabet

Dec 14, 2007, 10:58 PM
Post #21 of 26 (1561 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have you guys ever heard about how brain is creating dreams and nightmares at night to raise the body temp ?

keep yourself warm while sleeping.

horstschultz

Dec 17, 2007, 7:57 PM
Post #22 of 26 (1394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [patmay81] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

patmay81 wrote:
I had a dream I was drinking the worlds largest margaritta, and when I woke up the toilet bowl was lined with salt... pretty weird

Good thing I didn't eat the worm!

Git 'er dun.

Far too worried about what my boss will do to me when he realizes I've been climbing instead of working to worry about trad leads and gear failure in my nightmares...

reg

Dec 17, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #23 of 26 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I recently had a dream that I was forced to climb a very tall aluminum sided structure with my ice tools.....

festvus for the rest of us

Carnage

Dec 17, 2007, 8:56 PM
Post #24 of 26 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Re: [el_layclimber] My nightmare [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

el_layclimber wrote:
I tend to have lucid dreams, and when I realize I am dreaming I will do things that I never do awake. In particular, being in a scary situation will make me realize I am dreaming.
When I do realize this, I tend to go and free-solo the nearest tall object in my dream. My list is getting pretty ticked.
After multi-pitch routes, I'll get accidental untying, or taking the whip dreams, but when I realize it's a dream I go ahead and let myself fall. It's kind of fun.

ive had the dreams where i realize its a dream before. i dont remember for sure, but im pretty sure the dream ended w/ me nailing some hot chick.

monomyth

Dec 17, 2007, 10:13 PM
Post #25 of 26 (1263 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I felt a tremendous amount of fear in the dream

That alone can be a reason behind your dream: a fear that you did not notice in yourself, and now you do. It can be any fear and not necessarily a climbing related one.

Additional caution would not hurt in the future climbs (and in general for the next several days), but for some reason I think that this part of my reply is redundant

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook