Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Southwest VA Routes
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

salamandersmith

Jan 6, 2007, 4:15 AM
Post #1 of 10 (8612 views)
Shortcut

Southwest VA Routes  (North_America: United_States: Virginia: South_Western)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in Wise County, and I keep hearing rumors about routes in this area. Does anyone know of a route that I might find here? I know there are supposed to be some at Guest River Gorge, Hanging Rock, and others, but I'm not sure where they are located at.

braaaaaaaadley

Jan 6, 2007, 5:27 AM
Post #2 of 10 (8604 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamandersmith] Southwest VA Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you live in Wise county, then your best bet for climbing is Breaks Interstate Park. Although I have only climbed there once, the area appeared to have alot of potential. I recomend that you go and do some exploring there as there is alot of rock to be found in the park. When I went, we climbed under a roadside lookout point that appeared to have never been touched by climbers before as there were several 500 lb. plus boulders that could have easily been moved on the routes we did. For more crags in the area check out the routes section of this site here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/routes/page.cgi?g=North+America%2FUnited+States%2FVirginia&Submit=Go
Unfortunately the only quality established climbing that I know of in the area is The Obed in Tn, NRG in WVa, and the unlimited possiblities in and around Boone Nc. Since there is a lot of potential for finding rock faces in your neck of the woods, I think your best bet is to go out exploring so in an attempt to discover a new area.

theuvawisestudent

Jul 23, 2007, 2:37 AM
Post #3 of 10 (8450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in Wise county, also, but have never climbed before. I have wanted to for about 5 years, but just got serious. I have been to Breaks and will be going again this weekend. Maybe I can just try some really small climbs to get a little experience. I know I should get someone to show me around, but have never met anyone who climbs. I live so far from people that climb, that I don't believe finding a teacher will be possible.Frown

virginiapine

Jul 30, 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #4 of 10 (8411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theuvawisestudent] Southwest VA Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, you're not that far from some great climbing in NC - Stone Mtn, Crowder's, Sauertown, etc. You could certainly post in those sections of the rc.com routes db in order to find climbers (or find out who teaches classes).

Outdoors, up high somewhere, is a really worthwhile way to spend your time!

Madoc

Dec 23, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #5 of 10 (8292 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I live in blacksburg Va and i just got this book by Eric J. horst called "rock climbing virginia, west virginia, and maryland" in that i found a place called "bozoo" which is just past the boarder in to WVa. it's got about 35 sport climbs. it's about 50 min.s from Blacksburg.

from blacksburg drive down 460 then turn on to 219N then 12N then on to Bozoo Rd - when you come to a 4 way split take a left then when the road splits again take a right.

In the book it talks about this place called "Hidden Valley" which is suppost to have about 200 sport routes and is located near Abingdon Virginia - the book doesnt give any details but says that you can find out about it online - does anyone know anything about it?

chezdillon

Dec 23, 2007, 1:18 AM
Post #6 of 10 (8286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Madoc] Southwest VA Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Madoc wrote:
I live in blacksburg Va and i just got this book by Eric J. horst called "rock climbing virginia, west virginia, and maryland" in that i found a place called "bozoo" which is just past the boarder in to WVa. it's got about 35 sport climbs. it's about 50 min.s from Blacksburg.

from blacksburg drive down 460 then turn on to 219N then 12N then on to Bozoo Rd - when you come to a 4 way split take a left then when the road splits again take a right.

In the book it talks about this place called "Hidden Valley" which is suppost to have about 200 sport routes and is located near Abingdon Virginia - the book doesnt give any details but says that you can find out about it online - does anyone know anything about it?

Here is the info on Bozoo:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...a/south/Bozoo_Rocks/

Hidden Valley is currently off limits to climbing. Definitely check out Bozoo - it is small, but there is good stuff there.

- Jeff

cragmasterp

Dec 23, 2007, 2:55 AM
Post #7 of 10 (8268 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seek and you will find. You live in an area where there is rock.

You may just hit the jackpot!Tongue

justroberto

Dec 27, 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #8 of 10 (8209 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cragmasterp] Southwest VA Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cragmasterp wrote:
seek and you will find. You live in an area where there is rock.

You may just hit the jackpot!Tongue
Haven't you already found all the unclimbed rock in SWVA? Rumor is that you can smell virgin cliff from 20 miles away.

0x2102

Dec 27, 2007, 3:27 PM
Post #9 of 10 (8191 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] Southwest VA Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's no unclimbed rock in SW Va. In fact, there isn't any rock in SW Va at all. Go to Colorado, I hear they have rocks there.

salamandersmith

Dec 31, 2007, 4:11 AM
Post #10 of 10 (8150 views)
Shortcut

Re: [0x2102] Southwest VA Routes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, there is stuff to climb at the Guest River Gorge...me and a friend boulder there frequently during the summer. I've heard there are some top rope spots, but I've never seen anyone on the rock. But, alas, I have moved away from SW Virginia to a flat land (Missouri) and won't be able to climb till summer.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook