RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

Partner xcel360

Oct 20, 2002, 1:55 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Tendon Damage???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok, I've been climbing for a short while now, but no one has explained this tendon thing to me. How exactly does tendon damage occur, and how do you know it? What kind of pain do you feel and where? Thanks!

bumblesbounce

Oct 20, 2002, 2:31 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Tendon Damage??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tendon damage. I'll try to explain. Most of the time when you hear the word tendon it releates to teniditis (is that spelled right?) Teniditis is and inflammation of the tendon from overuse. A simple way to help prevent this (it's hard too due to that rockclimbing is a very addicting sport) is strech before and after. Also try not to climb, climb, climb. But as I said IT'S IMPOSSIBLE not to want to climb.

marks

Oct 20, 2002, 3:38 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have torn a tendon in 1 finger it took 3 months to feel right again.atleast it did not snap,ive heard a tendon snap and it goes through you.warm up well will stop any problems

monkeyarm

Oct 20, 2002, 4:15 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The most common way tendons are torn climbing happens when you fall.

If you are bearing all of your weight onto a small hold and you hand slips off and right after it slips off the hold your hand its a small nub in the rock (like if you are climbing indoors and you hand slips off a hold then catches the bolt). When your hand slips off the ,uscles are still tense but the tendons become loose, and when it catches the nub it basically shockloads it and can cause it to snap.

needtolearnhowtoclimb

Oct 22, 2002, 9:58 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is not an answer to the post, but yet another question. Does taping between the joints on the finger strengthen the tendon or not? Ive heard diff. answers to this question. thanks. Peace

JOsh

estwing

Oct 22, 2002, 10:08 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Taping does nothing for tendon strength, said my physio, when I hurt a few tendons in my left hand. As for the first question, you will know if you hurt a tendon, it will hurt. If your fingers are painfull stop climbing!!!!!!!!!
Take a rest day, see if they feel better, wait a week till they do. A week is less down time than three months.

[ This Message was edited by: estwing on 2002-10-22 15:09 ]

climbjs

Oct 22, 2002, 10:10 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing for over 10 years, and I wish I would have been stretching before and after climbs when i started. The problem with tendons is, that if you get an injury to one, it is really difficult to heal. Tendons have very little blood supply to them, consequently healing is super slow.
As far as taping, I use taping on my weak (or injured) fingers to keep the tendon close to the finger bones. I've found that it greatly relieves pain and haven't had injuries when I tape. Also, the way you hold holds greatly influences tendon problems. I tend to over-grip holds. Bad. Also, don't crimp as hard- use open-hands.
Good luck!

gravical

Oct 25, 2002, 11:29 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1977 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had problems with my tendons too, sometimes I still do. What my physio told me though was that it occurs due to your muscles not being strong enough to hold your weight. What I have found to help is to start off with a good warm up, and then slowly do long traverses (About 40+ moves). Also do this a lot for the first month after you start climbing again from tendon damage.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook