RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

dbrayack

Jan 15, 2008, 8:24 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1921 views)
Shortcut

Fish Eye Video Camera?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just curious, I've seen some Videos with Fisheyes or exceptionally wide lenses. Anyone have any experience with these or know what cameras/setups they were using? I'm sure the Canon outfitted with a fisheye will do it, but that's pretty expensive....

dreday3000

Jan 15, 2008, 8:56 PM
Post #2 of 5 (1913 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] Fish Eye Video Camera? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Personally, I think Fish Eye's are a bit extreme but a nice wide angle is defiently worthwhile as it gives you more shooting options.

I've shot on the Centuary .75 and .5 wide angle lens (for a Panasonic 100DVX) and found them to be nice, clean glass. They run around 350 I think.

Also shot with a generic cheapo ( 50 bucks) .3 for a single chip camera I play around with thought that was kind of neat. There was defiently a differnece in glass quality but provided you had good light, this still worked quite well. All depends on what kind of set up your going for and what kind of money you have to play with.

dbrayack

Jan 15, 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #3 of 5 (1910 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dreday3000] Fish Eye Video Camera? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I'm just considering the option....it'd be nice to have a fisheye on a stick.... =)

duckbuster_13

Jan 31, 2008, 10:41 PM
Post #4 of 5 (1726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dbrayack] Fish Eye Video Camera? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get accessory lenses for most "pro-sumer" mini-dv cams these days. I have a panasonic GS-250. It's a compact 3CCD mini-dv cam, with leica optics and a threaded ring in front of the lens that accepts 37mm filters and lenses.

I picked the camera up on ebay for around $350. Accessory lens was another $40 for marginal optics. I'm sure better quality lenses are available. Keep in mind that with cameras of this price range, you aren't going to get a manual focus ring. It will be on camera controls which are not nearly as user friendly or easy to dial in.
If you're shopping, I'd definitely recommend this model. It's light, rugged and gets great outdoor shots.
cons:
-poor low light performance
-the aforementioned manual focus ring issue
-doesn't have an a/d converter, so don't think about using a helmet cam.

good luck!

EDIT: here is a quick experiment i did as soon as i got the lens in the mail. ignore the crappy compression, and the even crappier rock quality. ;)
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2952795062110861092

(This post was edited by duckbuster_13 on Jan 31, 2008, 10:44 PM)

dbrayack

Jan 31, 2008, 11:03 PM
Post #5 of 5 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duckbuster_13] Fish Eye Video Camera? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

THanks man, I appreciate it..I've been looking into the Canon High Def- looks pretty rad and the fisheye is like expensive, but reasonable.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook