Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Poll: Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad.
I don't climb sport 3 / 3%
I climb harder trad than sport 5 / 4%
I climb trad and sport pretty much at the same level 9 / 8%
I climb sport routes 1-2 letter grades above trad routes 21 / 19%
I climb sport routes 3-4 letter grades above trad routes 28 / 25%
I climb sport routes 5-6 letter grades above trad routes 14 / 12%
I climb sport routes 7-8 letter grades above trad routes 7 / 6%
I climb sport routes >8 letter grades above trad routes 6 / 5%
I don't climb trad 15 / 13%
I don't climb 5 / 4%
113 total votes

yokese

Feb 13, 2008, 7:22 PM
Post #1 of 60 (2426 views)
Shortcut

Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

The following post by other user made me wonder, how much harder do you climb on sport routes vs trad routes?

petsfed wrote:
Second, in the first post the comparison between 5.12 sport and 5.9 trad was made. Which is funny because if you consider the median of climber's abilities (vis a vis angry's "moderate" thread), you'll find that 5.9 trad leaders and 5.12 sport leaders are more or less equivalent. Wierd, huh?

I was somehow surprised of that claim because, in my experience, I know way more people able to climb 5.9 trad than 5.12 sport.

Note: to simplify let's define "harder" as the YDS number, regardless of the fact that a 5.9 trad may have nothing to do with a 5.9 sport.

tolman_paul

Feb 13, 2008, 7:39 PM
Post #2 of 60 (2382 views)
Shortcut

Re: [yokese] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Interesting question, and looking back I don't think I hardly ever climbed a crack climb harder than 5.9, but sport climbed up to 5.11.

I don't think this was an issue of not being able to lead harder sport routes, rather an issue of the local routes I worked the most were bolted face routes, and when I'd go to Yosemite or Toulemne I was after longer moderate routes.

I can't imaging someone who can climb solid 5.12 face routes would be unable to cruise up a 5.10 or 5.11 crack route and place gear, unless their technique really sucked and mentally they really couldn't handle leading.

blueeyedclimber

Feb 13, 2008, 7:42 PM
Post #3 of 60 (2372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think all depends on how much time and effort you put into either discipline. Right now, I would say that my trad is about 5 letter grades lower, but I expect that to get even closer this year. The "hardest" grade I have sent in sport is 5.12b, and the hardest trad was 5.11a, but I spend a lot more time climbing trad, so I wouldn't be surprised if my next 5.12 is on gear rather than on bolts.

Josh

majid_sabet

Feb 13, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #4 of 60 (2348 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IMO
a climbing that does not involve with placing gear is not climbing

and I am not a climber

shockabuku

Feb 13, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #5 of 60 (2347 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yokese wrote:
The following post by other user made me wonder, how much harder do you climb on sport routes vs trad routes?

petsfed wrote:
Second, in the first post the comparison between 5.12 sport and 5.9 trad was made. Which is funny because if you consider the median of climber's abilities (vis a vis angry's "moderate" thread), you'll find that 5.9 trad leaders and 5.12 sport leaders are more or less equivalent. Wierd, huh?

I was somehow surprised of that claim because, in my experience, I know way more people able to climb 5.9 trad than 5.12 sport.

Not to be a smart-ass but that may have a lot to do with who you know and what they choose to climb.

Partner betaben

Feb 13, 2008, 7:53 PM
Post #6 of 60 (2334 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have to agree with blueeyedclimber, I think it depends on how much time you devote to each. If you go from Sport to trad, you usually begin a few grades eaiser, mainly to gain skills and confidence while reducing the risk of falling. The more you climb Trad, the smaller the window gets between trad and sport. If you spend 90% of your time trad climbing, you may get real close to your sport grade. When I was climbing trad all the time, My sport grades increased as well, but not at the rate they were when I was climbing about 50/50.

If you sport climb and only occasionally trad climb, the discrepency in grades could easily be a couple number grades.

Ben

yokese

Feb 13, 2008, 7:59 PM
Post #7 of 60 (2323 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Not to be a smart-ass but that may have a lot to do with who you know and what they choose to climb.

Of course, of course.... that's why I remarked: "in my experience"

That said, among my friends there are some climbing 13a sport who suffer on 5.10 cracks, and some climbing solid 5.11 trad but unable to climb 5.12 sport. I was just curious to see how the picture would look like increasing the population size.

rjtrials

Feb 13, 2008, 8:04 PM
Post #8 of 60 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [betaben] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I spend maybe a half dozen days a year climbing trad. In 07 I climbed several 11+ routes. Had I climbed 200 or so days on gear (as I did on bolts) I am sure I could have sent several 13's on gear...

I dont think there is anything fundamentally harder about trad climbing. It just takes more time, money and blood. If I had a rack, (does a double set of nuts count??) I would be game for climbing cracks a bit more often.

RJ

cchas

Feb 13, 2008, 8:30 PM
Post #9 of 60 (2272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rjtrials] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My trad and sports grade are the same. I'll get .12a routes first or second try (sometimes 3rd or 4th), and by the time I'm at .12d/.13a I end up projecting it, and it doesn't matter if its bolted or on gear.

For me I'm just more comfortable on cracks and gear, hence I do it more often..... which mea ns I'm probably a better crack climber then a sports climber.

(This post was edited by cchas on Feb 13, 2008, 9:01 PM)

shockabuku

Feb 13, 2008, 8:57 PM
Post #10 of 60 (2221 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There may also be some disconnect in the translation of sport vs. trad.

You read sport vs. crack apparently.

I read bolts vs. gear. At the Gunks, trad climbing doesn't equate (very often) to crack climbing.

So there may also be some regional variation.

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2008, 9:09 PM
Post #11 of 60 (2204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I put a fair amount of time into both.

My hardest redpoint: Sport is 3-4 letter grades higher.
My hardest onsight: Trad and sport are equal.

So for me, there's a real difference, but it's simply because I don't project trad climbs, and I'm capable of eventually sending a route that's four letter grades higher than my onsight limit.

Of course, that's gear being equal. If you start talking about climbs that are runout or have very thin gear, that's another story.

GO

docburner

Feb 13, 2008, 9:30 PM
Post #12 of 60 (2182 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm probably a 12 sport climber and most of my time is dedicated to that. I haven't been able to cleanly top rope a 12 crack. (oh so close on swedin ringle) But if it was just placing gear I think my hardest sends I could have done close to on trad gear assuming it was available and I projected it just like I did sport climbing.

But again for me the I'm just not as good at crack as I am sport. Back to the swedin ringle climb I think it would take me equal effort to top rope swedin ringle clean as to top rope air swedin clean, because you skip the last 3-4 moves of crack when you do air sweden and go to non crack technique.

So I think one of the major dividing lines is skill at cracks which are likely to be tradionally protected vs skill at non-crack which is more likely to be bolted.

Partner cracklover

Feb 13, 2008, 9:47 PM
Post #13 of 60 (2156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [docburner] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

docburner wrote:
So I think one of the major dividing lines is skill at cracks which are likely to be tradionally protected vs skill at non-crack which is more likely to be bolted.

Actually, I think pure crack lines are pretty much the same as sport. If you spend time on them, you'll climb at the same level sport and trad. They're basically gear protected sport climbing.

The real distinction is in trad climbs that are a mix of cracks and face\overhang technique requiring:
A - The ability to find very complex "rest" positions in order to place gear.
B - The ability to accurately scope the line when there aren't bolts there to follow.
C - The ability to climb as if there was no rope on sections where falling is not an option (requires different technique).

And that's all assuming a masterful eye at picking out and placing the right gear, with the right slings, efficiently and while pumped and scared.

You don't have to do any of that shit at IC. The Creek is just sport climbing on gear.

GO

(This post was edited by cracklover on Feb 13, 2008, 9:47 PM)

the_climber

Feb 13, 2008, 9:55 PM
Post #14 of 60 (2144 views)
Shortcut

Re: [docburner] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

docburner wrote:
( ^^^^ Just used for a point)

There seems to be a missconception here with many that Trad Climbing = Crack climbing.

There sure as hell is a lot more to it than that.

docburner

Feb 13, 2008, 10:05 PM
Post #15 of 60 (2123 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not sure if you guys got my point or not. It isn't that trad=crack, it is that if you collect all the routes in the world and label them as trad/sport and the skills required to do the cruxes as crack/non crack you would get a distribution such as:
45% sport/no crack
5% sport/crack
10% trad/no crack
40% trad/crack

So in general to send trad climbs you need crack skills, if you don't have any crack climbing skills you are going to struggle much more to lead trad at an equivalent grade as sport because there probably aren't many climbs you can do that are trad and don't require crack skills.

Arrogant_Bastard

Feb 13, 2008, 10:47 PM
Post #16 of 60 (2067 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That wasn't very nice of you to label the selection for boulderers - "I don't climb".

notapplicable

Feb 13, 2008, 11:13 PM
Post #17 of 60 (2033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Arrogant_Bastard] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Arrogant_Bastard wrote:
That wasn't very nice of you to label the selection for boulderers - "I don't climb".

Whats even more confusing, is that on a poll for real climbers, there is a "I dont climb trad" option.

That doesnt even make sense.Crazy

notapplicable

Feb 13, 2008, 11:18 PM
Post #18 of 60 (2025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My onsite level while sporting is averaging 2-3 letter grades below that of gear routes.

If I projected, that gap may widen but I doubt it. That just seems to be where my head/body is at right now.

cchas

Feb 14, 2008, 3:20 AM
Post #19 of 60 (1930 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

docburner wrote:
I'm not sure if you guys got my point or not. It isn't that trad=crack, it is that if you collect all the routes in the world and label them as trad/sport and the skills required to do the cruxes as crack/non crack you would get a distribution such as:
45% sport/no crack
5% sport/crack
10% trad/no crack
40% trad/crack

So in general to send trad climbs you need crack skills, if you don't have any crack climbing skills you are going to struggle much more to lead trad at an equivalent grade as sport because there probably aren't many climbs you can do that are trad and don't require crack skills.

An GO is correct, Indian Creek is really just sports climbing on gear since you can place gear almst at whim (which makes sports climbing more scarey then leading at IC), but there ar other areas where cracks can be as tricky to protect.

I've also heard the argument that the Gunks is sports climbing (in terms of movement skills) with gear.

In the end, who really cares. The terms are just semantics. Its all good fun anyways.

(This post was edited by cchas on Feb 14, 2008, 3:24 AM)

ajkclay

Feb 14, 2008, 4:30 AM
Post #20 of 60 (1883 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trad harder (and scarier) than sport...

.12a on Trad and 11.d on sport.

.12d top roped, but will lead it soon, which will make sport harder than trad.

I just climb nice routes, regardless of grade/style... some are trad, some sport, TR, DWS, boulder, solo.

Style doesn't really matter to me as long as one is honest about the method used.

It's all climbing to me, and while some enjoy arguing about which discipline is best I sit back and think that they're all better than being at home watching tv or arguing online about which form is best.

With that I'm off climbing!!!

Cheers

Adam

Partner cracklover

Feb 14, 2008, 3:03 PM
Post #21 of 60 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rjtrials] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rjtrials wrote:
I dont think there is anything fundamentally harder about trad climbing. It just takes more time, money and blood.

It also takes more skills. See my above post.

GO

Partner angry

Feb 14, 2008, 3:27 PM
Post #22 of 60 (1796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My sport is improving but it's about 12a right now.

Mid 11 in the gym.

For pure crack, I consistently onsight mid 12. Redpointed a shade higher.

A thin RP seam I did yesterday was 12b/c and I'll probably redpoint it tomorrow.

For me it's motivation. Sport sends and gym climbing don't matter to me as they are nothing but practice. When I'm climbing trad, I mean it.

granite_grrl

Feb 14, 2008, 4:33 PM
Post #23 of 60 (1747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:

This is a good point, one I was thinking about after answering this pole. I normally onsight trad climbs I do, and redpoint sport so I compared onsight to redpoint. If I compared onsight to onsight then my gap between sport and trad is much smaller (1-2 letter grades, though I know I can and should be onsighting harder trad lines).

wmfork

Feb 14, 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #24 of 60 (1726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Harder sport than trad, though the gap is only a couple of letter grades these days. My hardest redpoint is the same, however (if you count creek as trad, which, for 98% of the routes there, is hard to argue for). I may just consistently redpointing harder trad than sport this year, since I don't really have any sport "projects".

Still, with equal motivation, I'd say trad is harder to onsight/redpoint than sport of the same grade/movement difficulty.

the_climber

Feb 14, 2008, 5:03 PM
Post #25 of 60 (1721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Poll: How much "harder" do you climb, sport vs trad. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
cracklover wrote:

This is a good point, one I was thinking about after answering this pole. I normally onsight trad climbs I do, and redpoint sport so I compared onsight to redpoint. If I compared onsight to onsight then my gap between sport and trad is much smaller (1-2 letter grades, though I know I can and should be onsighting harder trad lines).

A very good point indeed. I would have to agree with your break down of it too GG. On good rock (ie. not the local choss) my trad and sport onsights are within a letter grade of each other, and in fact about a number grade and a half above what I typically climb on the local limestone.

A lot of my focus has switched to new routing lately, and I'd have to say that the constant exposure to climbing unknown lines of unknown grades seems to have a leveling effect between my sport and trad grades. I would have to say after somewhat of a recent plateau I'm climbing at a higher caliber because of it; something that has me stoked for my summer projects.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook