RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

JackAttack

Dec 1, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #1 of 17 (1151 views)
Shortcut

good summer camp
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking for a good climbing-specific summer camp for this summer (2008). something around 2 weeks long, definately under $3000 but preferably in the $1000-$2500 range. lasts summer i went to the acadia mountain guides camp http://www.climbacadia.org and that was a great camp but this summer I want to try something different. Not a beginner camp, I know belaying, leading, knots, etc. I'll be 14 this summer. I live in georgia but distance isnt a huge deal but i would like to stay in the U.S. (canada is a possibility, thats what I did last year). I'm more interested in sport, but trad would be ok too. I like a more laid-back sort of camp atmosphere, not something thats too structured and stiff. I realize that it will be hard to find a camp that has everything that I want, so I'm willing to compromise. If anyone runs/works at a camp, or if you know of a good camp then please give me some info or a link to their website. and yes I did do a search but I've been having trouble finding anything. Thanks in advance for your help

coastal_climber

Dec 1, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #2 of 17 (1139 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JackAttack] good summer camp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's December and its snowed a foot. Its snow season. Wait a few months.

>Cam

scottb

Dec 1, 2007, 7:11 PM
Post #3 of 17 (1119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard some great things about Smith Rock camps here in Oregon from some local teenagers. I think the First Ascent guide service puts one on. Try google-ing that...

mistajman

Dec 1, 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #4 of 17 (1104 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fox mountain guides runs a summer camp for children. They probably have the most certified and qualified guides on the whole east coast. Their website is
http://www.rockclimbingsummercamps.com/index.html

Also you could take a NOLS or IWLS course

Partner alexmac

Dec 1, 2007, 8:51 PM
Post #5 of 17 (1087 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.alpineclubofcanada.ca/activities/gmc.html, once you include all your gree and stuff.

Where is it this year coming.
Vowell / Bugaboo

$1450 (one week) + GST

Weeks do book VERY fast.

homasta

Dec 2, 2007, 12:06 AM
Post #6 of 17 (1048 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climb acadia mountain guides has awesome camps i went to three weeks 2 weeks sport in canada freaking awesome and 1 week trad in rumney it was incredible just search climb acadia mountain guides

JackAttack

Dec 2, 2007, 1:11 AM
Post #7 of 17 (1027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [homasta] good summer camp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

homasta wrote:
climb acadia mountain guides has awesome camps i went to three weeks 2 weeks sport in canada freaking awesome and 1 week trad in rumney it was incredible just search climb acadia mountain guides

thats where i went last year, and it was definately awesome. I only did one week, the canada sport climbing course. It was very well run but also laid back, which was what I really liked about it. I just want to try somewhere else this year.

blueeyedclimber

Dec 2, 2007, 1:34 AM
Post #8 of 17 (1021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [homasta] good summer camp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

homasta wrote:

Trad in Rumney? What kind of camp would take you to a sport area to do trad? Although, come to think of it, the few trad lines that they have there won't be crowded.

alpenweg

Dec 3, 2007, 9:10 AM
Post #9 of 17 (940 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] good summer camp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hello i can definitely hook direct you to a good summer camp with
climbing. In Switzerland bolted climbs that will blow you mind.

what are you looking for?
other teenagers?
lots of instruction?
lots of climbing?
multiptch sport climbing?
limstone?

Tell me you needs?

ernest
eastern switzerland

JackAttack

Jan 20, 2008, 7:00 PM
Post #10 of 17 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ok thanks everyone for the suggestions and keep them coming. I have been considering a camp at smith rock and a camp in colorado, mostly it depends on timing for my family. However we may be taking a vacation to new england this summer and we would probably stay in upstate new york, which obviously leads to gunks climbing. If anyone knows of a good camp in the gunks then that would be greatly appreciated, considering we could save lots of money and travel time if we were already in the area. Thanks for all your help!

gblauer

Jan 20, 2008, 8:34 PM
Post #11 of 17 (828 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JackAttack wrote:
ok thanks everyone for the suggestions and keep them coming. I have been considering a camp at smith rock and a camp in colorado, mostly it depends on timing for my family. However we may be taking a vacation to new england this summer and we would probably stay in upstate new york, which obviously leads to gunks climbing. If anyone knows of a good camp in the gunks then that would be greatly appreciated, considering we could save lots of money and travel time if we were already in the area. Thanks for all your help!

If you want pure climbing, contact Dave Rowland at the Philadelphia Rock Gym. He takes a group of kids (teens) to the Red every summer. They stay at Miguels and the only thing they do is climb.

If you are interested in more information...PM me.

(This post was edited by gblauer on Jan 20, 2008, 8:35 PM)

zwillia1

Jan 20, 2008, 9:57 PM
Post #12 of 17 (803 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.yobasecamp.com/climb.htm

some really cool camps, and it would be with all kids in your age group, which is awesome.

roseraie

Jan 20, 2008, 10:01 PM
Post #13 of 17 (801 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JackAttack wrote:
I'm looking for a good climbing-specific summer camp for this summer (2008). something around 2 weeks long, definately under $3000 but preferably in the $1000-$2500 range. lasts summer i went to the acadia mountain guides camp http://www.climbacadia.org and that was a great camp but this summer I want to try something different. Not a beginner camp, I know belaying, leading, knots, etc. I'll be 14 this summer. I live in georgia but distance isnt a huge deal but i would like to stay in the U.S. (canada is a possibility, thats what I did last year). I'm more interested in sport, but trad would be ok too. I like a more laid-back sort of camp atmosphere, not something thats too structured and stiff. I realize that it will be hard to find a camp that has everything that I want, so I'm willing to compromise. If anyone runs/works at a camp, or if you know of a good camp then please give me some info or a link to their website. and yes I did do a search but I've been having trouble finding anything. Thanks in advance for your help

This is *exactly* what you're looking for: www.yobasecamp.com

Super laid back, small group (10-15 campers), great camp atmosphere. You basically spend your time climbing, swimming, hanging out in camp playing cards... not too structured, like you say you want. The staff is awesome, the food is good, the location is beautiful, the other kids (ages 11-18) are cool. Some kids are beginners, but most of the campers are gym climbers and often really good, so you can get on routes of varying degrees of difficulty. They have bouldering and route climbing camps. There are no two week camps, but there is a 10 day one.

i used to work there and I can tell you for sure it's an amazing camp. :)

sausalito

Jan 20, 2008, 10:03 PM
Post #14 of 17 (797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Falling Creek Camp for boys in North Carolina is a great camp. They have many programs, which includes a climbing program, and you can get a taste of Western North Carolina, which is not too far from your home state of Georgia.

While it does have a climbing program I suggest this camp because of its overall qualities. Having been a camper there and worked there I may be biased but I wouldnt trade my time there for a millions dollars... literally.

JackAttack

Jan 20, 2008, 10:46 PM
Post #15 of 17 (785 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roseraie] good summer camp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks everyone for all the suggestions! Yo base camp, which based on the multiple reccomendations and their website, seems like a great camp and is definately one of my possibilities. However, it doesnt seem like they quite have the exact sort of camp i am looking for (but maybe im just being picky). Their bouldering camps look really great, but they only have one route climbing camp, and from the description on their website i got the impression that it is an introductory sort of camp. I do like bouldering, but I would like to do a little bit of sport also, and an opportunity to do some multipitch would be awesome. I am still considering the "East side Mega Crankin Bouldering Camp" and the oppurtunity to meet chris sharma is definately a big plus.Smile There are still a few other camps i am considering, and a lot of my final decision will boil down to location and date, since i am having to plan camp around the rest of my families plans for this summer, and none of that is definite yet. Anyways, thanks everyone for helping me out and any more info you have is definately appreciated!

JackAttack

Jan 21, 2008, 12:38 AM
Post #16 of 17 (769 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sausalito] good summer camp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

general update- my family was originaly planning on going to washington, oregon, and california for 10 days or so in the early summer, but unfortunately we did not start planning early enough so we could not find a place in yosemite, where we were planning on spending most of our time. It would have worked out well for me to go to a camp in that area either before or after my family's vacation, which would have saved money on traveling, but because of our situation we have decided to save that trip for next summer. That means I may try one of the camps out in that area next summer, either the Yo base camps or another I was looking at in Oregon. Earlier my plans for next summer were to go to a military camp, as my goal for after I graduate is to join the Army SF, but I could save the military camp for the summer after that. For this summer my family has decided to go to New England (new york, massachusetts, possibly canada and a few other states) were we have lots of family and where my sister will be graduating from college this year. We have family all up and down the east coast, so any camp there is a possibilty. Currently in the running are a camp with the Philadelphia Rock Gym that goes to the red river gorge (I am going to call them tomorow to get more info) and a camp in colorado that I cant remember the name of. The colorado camp would take some persuading of the parentals, and the deciding factor in that case would probably be flight cost. Anyways, thanks everyone for all your help!

JackAttack

Feb 19, 2008, 12:00 AM
Post #17 of 17 (658 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well thanks everyone for your help, but I have decided instead to go to a military camp for this summer. In case anyone is interested the two I am trying to decide between are Cedar Bridge Military Academy in New Jersey and Freedom Alliance Military Leadership Academy in Virginia.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook