RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

squarf

Feb 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
Post #1 of 21 (2080 views)
Shortcut

Smelly Shoe Stories
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have a couple I'd like to share. I'll proceed in chronological/rankness order.

I have to wash my feet after a climbing session because the rankness that friends have described as "rotting catfish stomachs" passes to anything it touches.

In the midst of a gym session, I walked passed two women (who were not climbing or climbers at all) who happened to mention a moment after I had past that "This place stinks, they need to invest in air fresheners".

While climbing out in the great outdoors a fellow climber I had just met, after a few minutes asked earnestly "Is there garbage around here or something?" after a few minutes after that he said, "Seriously, there has to be garbage somewhere around here, I can smell it, it really stinks".... we later confirmed the "garbage" was my shoe smell permeating his nostrils a good 10-15 feet away.

Feel free to share your stories, they've gotta be better than mine! :-)

--Nathan

andy64

Feb 23, 2008, 2:07 PM
Post #2 of 21 (2060 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squarf] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tried all kinds of ways to deoderize my shoes. I don't think the stink travels as far or a potent as yours but this time of year it is more of a problem because the gym first thing in the morning is very cold so I keep my shoes in my coat on the way. I put the toes of my shoes in my armpits and the heels point out to show how "tweaked" I am to go climbing so the stink rises warmly to my face. If I don't warm them first they hurt my feet too much.

socalclimber

Feb 23, 2008, 2:29 PM
Post #3 of 21 (2055 views)
Shortcut

Re: [andy64] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On a miserably failed attempt of a wall in yosemite, my approach shoes WERE RANK! I owned them for years and routinely wore them without socks. Needless to say, they had turned the corner. Once we decided to bail and head home, my shoes were so bad we had to tie them to the roof rack of my buddies car. Now mind you, this was the middle of summer and the central valley is a tad toasty. He didn't have air conditioning. Everytime we rolled the windows down to get some air, the stench of my shoes would flood the car with about the most nauseating odor any of us had ever encountered.

It was a very, very long trip home!

dudemanbu

Feb 23, 2008, 2:37 PM
Post #4 of 21 (2050 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only got one story to share:

When you take care of your personal hygiene and wash your shoes regularly in the dishwasher on high temp (whether they need it or not) you don't have to worry about it.

mewood7

Feb 23, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #5 of 21 (2010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh god, don't even get me started. I'm a new climber, so still trying to decide on the first pair of shoes to buy and rental is the only way to go if I'm going to clamb at the gym. If you can only imagine the stank that comes from a full day's use by random people (don't worry, the spray they use kills HIV, thank god!). As I'm in college, of course I'm going to head to the bars later. I live in a sorority house and shoe borrowing goes on alot. Unfortunately, I have now been denied the priveledge of borrowing! This is after 3 showers too!

delfindle

Feb 23, 2008, 7:59 PM
Post #6 of 21 (2001 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Of my usual trio of climbers, when we are hiking in on the approach, we make ass-shoes Asaro walk in back cause none of us will hike behind him.

It's always a practical and cruel joke to leave his shoes in someone car overnight with the car owner not knowing. x100 worse when it's summer time here in AZ.

nicodeemus

Feb 23, 2008, 9:58 PM
Post #7 of 21 (1967 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I travel quite a bit for work and always bring my climbing gear with me in hopes of finding a local gym. I use a backpack to carry my gear onto planes. While going through security once my ATC or locking biner set off the metal detector. The attendant asked if it was okay to look in my bag. I said "sure". She opened it up and before she could even start looking through it, closed it, as the stank of my climbing shoes turned her face green. Needless to say I didn't have more issues with bag searches.

T-Bone

Feb 24, 2008, 9:49 PM
Post #8 of 21 (1871 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's an article in Alpinist 10 entitled "Love Stinks". read it.

i've tried everything. Nothing lasts for very long. I might start washing my feet with a brillo pad in the shower and spraying the shoes with febreeze before and after each climb.

feels good to know i'm not the only one with this problem.

matterunomama

Feb 24, 2008, 11:27 PM
Post #9 of 21 (1849 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mewood7] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mewood7 wrote:
.. . If you can only imagine the stank that comes from a full day's use by random people (don't worry, the spray they use kills HIV, thank god!). .... As I'm in college, of course I'm going to head to the bars later.

I doubt very much that the spray they use kills HIV-viruses are pretty tough--, tho it does REDUCE the fungus (The spray does not get to the toes, where that nice person with the funky nail put their foot). I think "heading to the bars" has some HIV potential....be careful out there!

gblauer

Feb 25, 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #10 of 21 (1832 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My feet sweat so much that even at the end of a gym workout (3-4 hours) my shoes are soaked. I have to wash my shoes regularly, or the stench of my shoes announces my arrival well before people actually see me.

I have to bring 2-3 pairs of shoes on a climbing trip so that I always have a dry pair.

When I travel, I have to seal each shoe in a ziploc so that the stench doesn't permeate my business clothing.

The stench is so bad that my training partner threw away her slippers after I slipped my bare feet inside her slippers!

But my daughter's feet are worse, once we were driving over the GW bridge out of NYC and we were totally stuck in traffic. SHe took of her shoes and I nearly drove off the bridge, the stench was so horrific.

vicoll135

Feb 25, 2008, 2:18 AM
Post #11 of 21 (1804 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Speaking of washing your shoes, how do you do so?

gblauer

Feb 25, 2008, 2:30 AM
Post #12 of 21 (1795 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vicoll135] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I take out the laces, I make a paste of laundry soap and water and put it in my shoes. I let it sit for a couple of hours then I put them through a pre-wash. Then I put them through a regular wash cycle with more laundry soap added to the water. (I use warm water.) After they are washed I air dry the shoes. They last for about a month (16 hours of climbing a week during the winter) then I do it all over again.

I have heard that some people put them through a cycle in the dishwasher. I would be worried that the water would be too hot.

vicoll135

Feb 25, 2008, 5:07 AM
Post #13 of 21 (1758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gblauer] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alright will do, thanks!

miavzero

Feb 25, 2008, 6:18 AM
Post #14 of 21 (1737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

matterunomama wrote:
mewood7 wrote:
.. . If you can only imagine the stank that comes from a full day's use by random people (don't worry, the spray they use kills HIV, thank god!). .... As I'm in college, of course I'm going to head to the bars later.

I doubt very much that the spray they use kills HIV-viruses are pretty tough--, tho it does REDUCE the fungus (The spray does not get to the toes, where that nice person with the funky nail put their foot). I think "heading to the bars" has some HIV potential....be careful out there!

http://www.caltechind.com/citrex/index.asp

mewood7

Feb 25, 2008, 7:28 AM
Post #15 of 21 (1725 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miavzero] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah! Hahaha! That's so it! That is my savior. Without it, I would not be able to go anywhere near those rentals.

theShiba

Feb 25, 2008, 4:58 PM
Post #16 of 21 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dudemanbu] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dudemanbu wrote:
I've only got one story to share:

When you take care of your personal hygiene and wash your shoes regularly in the dishwasher on high temp (whether they need it or not) you don't have to worry about it.

Personal what? Never heard of it. Must be one of those crazy Scientology things.

bizarrodrinker

Feb 25, 2008, 5:07 PM
Post #17 of 21 (1661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [theShiba] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a reason I have a radius at the gym.

I can't really smell that well cause of an accident in my lab at work, but they still almost knocked me over last time i took em off so they must be REALLY bad to those who have a keen sense of smell.

unrooted

Feb 25, 2008, 5:20 PM
Post #18 of 21 (1649 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish all you stinky footed mother fuckers would quit buying synthetic shoes! Buy leather please, and try investing in a few pairs of cycling socks or some other super thin socks, please please please!

(Do not buy evolv shoes if you're a naturally stinky person! Do not buy Anasazi Velcro's for the gym period)

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 25, 2008, 5:23 PM
Post #19 of 21 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

We got pulled over in Georgia, because of my stinky shoes!!!!

True story.

I had a pair of Teva's and....well, as you know, they can sometimes stink. Mine were really bad, unfortunately.

I was visiting a person on a 5-day road trip, and when I took off the shoes upon entering the van when he picked me up at the airport.....

"OH MY GOD! WHAT is the STINK!!!???"

It was embarrassing.

We had a half day before heading on the road, and so it was insisted upon that I wash the shoes with household disinfectant.

It worked, to a slight extent.

But 5 days of spring humidity in the southeast and...well the funk was back, full force.

On the way home, the stink would not be contained, and the household chemicals actually made my feet itch and seemed to exacerbate the moisture issue. i couldn't keep those shoes on my feet!!!!

Off they came, and out wafted the odor.

"GAAAGGGHHHH!!! No! No! No" cried climbing partner.

He pulled over the va, and grabeed a 4-foot runner. he girth-hitched the tevas to the wiper blad on the rear window of the van. and we went on our way.

All was going fine, until we noticed the flashing red lights of a cop car....

Pulling over, we suddenly realized it appeared we were the suspects in a stake out! There were THREE cars and FIVE cops!!! They had us surrounded......

One officer comes to the driver side window and says, and I am sure he had his hand on his holster, ready to draw....

"Is there a reason you have a pair of shoes obscuring your license plate numbers?"

To which, my parter replied, "Why yes, there is, officer. Those shoes stink!"

He got out of the car, while I watched in the mirror and discussion ensued. I'm going to add the following sentence for poetic license, since it didn't actually happen....but I swear I saw those fuzz taking turns examining the evidence, taking turns whiffing the shoes, only to find that...yes - they stunk. Very badly.

I did hear(and this is true) my friend say "Give her a ticket! Give her a ticket!" And one of the police reminded him that, since the vehicle was in his name, it would be he who got the ticket.

They were all having a jolly old laugh by this time, and it turned out one of the cops had enjoyed rappelling, back in his prime.... And with a little thought, they came to the conclusion that they could, in fact, cite me with a warning, as that would not go "into the system."

They came around to my side, had me roll down the window, and with great officiousness, handed my a warning ticket, which read "Obstruction of license plate - Stinky Shoes."

matterunomama

Feb 25, 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #20 of 21 (1600 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miavzero] Smelly Shoe Stories [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

miavzero wrote:
matterunomama wrote:
mewood7 wrote:

http://www.caltechind.com/citrex/index.asp
[image]http://www.caltechind.com/citrex/images/citrex_can.gif[/image]

Read it carefully..one minute kill rate on HARD SURFACES.An even film of the stuff on a nonporous surface, left to evaporate will kill HIV.Unless you soak the shoe leather and let it dry, it won't work that well. But don't worry, I was mostly yanking your chain; HIV is harder to catch than you might think. Unless you suck the infected perons toes and you have a cut in your mouth its not likely that you will have a transmission. Still be careful with the bar scene....

dlintz

Feb 25, 2008, 11:47 PM
Post #21 of 21 (1587 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been denied entry into 34 countries because of my stinky Newtons, but I'm all good for Mexico, France, and now Kosovo.

d.

(This post was edited by dlintz on Feb 25, 2008, 11:48 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook