Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

acacongua

Feb 27, 2008, 7:31 PM
Post #1 of 26 (12667 views)
Shortcut

Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I know this topic is tacky, but I'm getting concerned about the damage of using a ponytail. Already, I've seen some thinning as result of BC use (I stopped and the hair regrew).

I used to put my hair in two basic braids that would fall out so I need ideas for those of you with medium to long hair.

zenelky

Feb 27, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 26 (12662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [acacongua] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have super long hair (down to my booty), and I found that braiding it in a tight braid and using large rubber head-band type thing worked best. Or I used to pull it up in one of those 1/2 pony tails just to keep the side from falling in my face. This didn't work in the summertime so I did a bun and looked like an old lady. Then I dreaded it and found that a super high pony tail (you know that sticks straight out of the top of your head) worked really well. I had to use a very large hair tie and never pulled it tight though...else I felt like my eyeballs were bulging out of my head. Or, I would use 2 of my longer dreads to wrap around the other ones (just tied the 2 dreads in a knot around them) to keep them all bunched up and out of my face.

Then I had to get a real job and cut it all off a few months ago Frown so now I just long for the days that I get to use a scrunchie again and wallow in my short hair misery.

jumpingrock

Feb 27, 2008, 8:53 PM
Post #3 of 26 (12646 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zenelky] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When we spent 4 months in a van, my fiance, chopped off all her hair and went with a short hair cut. I understand that it became far easier to maintain when we averaged 5 days between showers.

caliclimbergrl

Feb 27, 2008, 9:13 PM
Post #4 of 26 (12641 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

When I climb outside, I always wear my hair in two side braids. I cut long bangs a while ago, so I also wear a think headband when I climb to keep those out of my face. My hair is long enough now that that works pretty well. But I totally understand the problem you are having since I have very fine hair and when it was shorter the only way I could get it to stay securely out of my face when climbing all day was to have two french braids. It can take a while to put them in, but I've worn the same braids for days in a row on some climbing trips without having to re-do them. One of the other benefits of braids is you can easily wear a helmet or hat with braids and they won't get in the way. I've never been able to comfortably wear a helmet with a pony tail, even if I wear the pony tail low, which is another reason I always go with the braids.

So my suggestion -- learn to french braid your own hair and do two french braids on the side (One braid down the back is more likely to come loose if you have fine short hair).

tavs

Feb 27, 2008, 9:53 PM
Post #5 of 26 (12632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caliclimbergrl] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm, weird about the braids not working, because that's my staple when my hair's long enough. Sometimes I find a small barrette on each side helps. I also pull it back in a messy bun--not really a bun, but just bunch it up and wrap the elastic around the whole package a couple of times. It doesn't have to be tight to hold it, doesn't put pressure on the same part of hair over and over again, so it doesn't seem to cause breakage.

Then, when I get tired of it growing out and getting split end-y, I chop it off so there's no problem at all :)

iamthewallress

Feb 27, 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #6 of 26 (12616 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tavs] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If looking super stylish isn't a huge concern, Scunci makes a headband that is sort of like a giant ponytail holder. It will hold back all of your flyaways and fit under a helmet.

2 braids on the side is cute and cool on the back of the neck, but the braids end up in my rappel too easily.

I twist my hair into a bun (low for helmet wear) and hold it there w/ a scunci ponytail holder. I find it breaks less than pulling it into a tight rubber band since the force is spread around more. Also, it looks neater if not more matronly when my hair has turned into a single wad of dread.

It also helps camo the greasy hair color change that happens w/ long lighter hair.

maww

Feb 27, 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #7 of 26 (12608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah your hair damage problem might be more about the ponytail holder than anything. I wear mine back quite a bit and don't have any problems.

My hair is shoulder length and if it's down when I climb I use a headband or a head scarf wrap.

I often wear pigtails as well.

acacongua

Feb 28, 2008, 1:57 AM
Post #8 of 26 (12594 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Scunci? Reminds me of a Sex in the City episode. But I'm not a New Yorker so I may consider that

The braids are only a problem when I have excessive layers in the cut, which I"m thinking to do again (they're good for long faces).

Partner happiegrrrl

Feb 28, 2008, 2:05 AM
Post #9 of 26 (12592 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Agreed, it's probably the type of elastic band you're using on the ponytail.

You might notice there are a couple different "weights" of elastics, from a small diameter, to medium weight, and then you go to those "scuncii" decorative type ones as mentioned.

It's the thinner type of band that is harshest on the hair, especially if you wrap it enough times that it is t=very tight, and then when you pull it off....out comes the hair(ouch!!!).

If you haven't tried the thicker type of band, do so. They also are made of a variety of materials - go with something a little better quality, and you may see less damage. Also, don't wrap it around that one last time, if you can keep your ponytail in without it.

I have flyaway hair that gets very all-over the place when climbing, and I have found that a bandana really helps a lot in keeping the hair away from my face/rap device.

bizarrodrinker

Feb 28, 2008, 1:05 PM
Post #10 of 26 (12556 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When on the road last summer, my hair was a little above my shoulders and was getting pulled out when tailed. Probably cause I am a guy and not experienced in the tailing process.

For bouldering though sometimes I used chopsticks and it worked suprisingly well.

Wouldn't work for a helmet tho.

lena_chita

Feb 28, 2008, 2:53 PM
Post #11 of 26 (12543 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with Happie about trying a different type of elastic-- thicker/softer would be gentler on the hair. I put my hair is a ponytail when climbing, haven't seen any hair thinning or breaking as a result of it.

lvpyne

Feb 28, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #12 of 26 (12521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
2 braids on the side is cute and cool on the back of the neck, but the braids end up in my rappel too easily.

I have long hair. Really long hair. And braiding it, while cute, rarely will really keep the hair out of my way while climbing. I have to agree with the above quote -- there is very little that is worse than having a braid sucked into your belay device while rappelling. (I found out the only thing that is worse, is having the braid sucked into a pulley and trying to unweight a haul bag and avoid being scalped...)

I have braided it and then "tied" the tail of the braid up by my neck (sort of like a bun), but, generally, the bun thing seems to be the best solution...

Ack, my scalp hurts just thinking about the braid and ACT...

granite_grrl

Feb 28, 2008, 5:41 PM
Post #13 of 26 (12515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jumpingrock wrote:
When we spent 4 months in a van, my fiance, chopped off all her hair and went with a short hair cut. I understand that it became far easier to maintain when we averaged 5 days between showers.

Yup! Chop chop chop!

Of course, the short hair look isn't for every one.

David, when are you and Emilie going to tie the know again?

carabiner96

Feb 28, 2008, 8:43 PM
Post #14 of 26 (12497 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a big fan of the low bun. One of my main qualms about chopping my hair off is that all of those damn flyaways now fit back in the band. I agree with happie, bandannas rock, but I hate bandana head, its worse than helmet head alone!

My hair is getting a bit thinner too, but i assumed thats just because i'm getting old Blush

sbaclimber

Feb 28, 2008, 9:10 PM
Post #15 of 26 (12495 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm jumping on the hair-tie-type bandwagon as well.
I use 2 medium sized "nice" (no metal bits) hair ties together (I have thickish hair, so 1 tends to not be strong enough), make a simple pony tail, and then have a bandanna on, to keep short hairs out of my face and keep my hair from getting tangled in the helmet.
Seems to work for me. Only problem I have is when my hair gets long enough to get between my face and rack when I am looking for gear. Then I start considering the braid, or a haircut...Laugh

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Feb 28, 2008, 9:11 PM)

acacongua

Feb 29, 2008, 12:06 AM
Post #16 of 26 (12472 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
I'm a big fan of the low bun.

Have you tried the double buns? They're so cute and my hair might be long enough to do it. I just can't figure out how to make a bun stay.

iamthewallress

Feb 29, 2008, 5:14 AM
Post #17 of 26 (12447 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
carabiner96 wrote:
I'm a big fan of the low bun.

Have you tried the double buns? They're so cute and my hair might be long enough to do it. I just can't figure out how to make a bun stay.

If you haven't already been camping for long enough to get your dread on the natural way, you can always do like the ladies in 50's/60's and give it a little gentle tease. If you hold it in place w/ a pony holder, you may need to rewind the bun occasionally, but the worst you get when it pops out is an ugly pony tail.

Partner macherry

Feb 29, 2008, 5:19 AM
Post #18 of 26 (12446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carabiner96] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

carabiner96 wrote:
I'm a big fan of the low bun. One of my main qualms about chopping my hair off is that all of those damn flyaways now fit back in the band. I agree with happie, bandannas rock, but I hate bandana head, its worse than helmet head alone!

My hair is getting a bit thinner too, but i assumed thats just because i'm getting old Blush

getting old............don't make me laugh.............sorry!!! i'm all about the bandanna or the buff wrap around my head

reese_7

Mar 1, 2008, 2:02 AM
Post #19 of 26 (12388 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have longish hair. When it is hot I like to tie it in a bun/knot and put a hair tie around it. When it is cool I wear a light weight scull cap. I really like both options. But I found that wearing the same hair style too often will cause damage... maybe just switch up your do every once in a while!

clee03m

Mar 1, 2008, 7:44 PM
Post #20 of 26 (12355 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reese_7] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also a fan of the low bun. I find using hair band made of thick elastic doubled up works really well since 1. no metal 2. thick and gentle on the hair, and 3. with so much rubber band, no hair is going to escape. I originally bought the rubber head band because of layers that was flying all over my face, but it gave me a headache. My head is too big for a bandana (I have a ginormous head and would need to make my own...), and so I think I may just have to stay away from cute but inconvenient hair styles.

jumpingrock

Mar 3, 2008, 4:54 PM
Post #21 of 26 (12265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
jumpingrock wrote:

Yup! Chop chop chop!

Of course, the short hair look isn't for every one.

David, when are you and Emilie going to tie the know again?

Next year I think. No rush.

blueeyedclimber

Mar 5, 2008, 2:10 AM
Post #22 of 26 (12160 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This works well for me.

clausti

Mar 5, 2008, 2:43 AM
Post #23 of 26 (12152 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
I know this topic is tacky, but I'm getting concerned about the damage of using a ponytail. Already, I've seen some thinning as result of BC use (I stopped and the hair regrew).

I used to put my hair in two basic braids that would fall out so I need ideas for those of you with medium to long hair.

something between

and

is my fave. i HIGHly recommend it.

acacongua

Mar 5, 2008, 1:28 PM
Post #24 of 26 (12125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] Comfortable Hair Style for Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Clausti -

That cut works for your face!

BTW, I hear rumors that i"ll be seeing you around the Red in the near future. Wink

clausti

Mar 5, 2008, 2:49 PM
Post #25 of 26 (12119 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

acacongua wrote:
Clausti -

That cut works for your face!

BTW, I hear rumors that i"ll be seeing you around the Red in the near future. Wink

si, over spring break. i'll PM you when we know what days we'll be down!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook