RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

majid_sabet

Mar 5, 2008, 9:22 AM
Post #1 of 15 (3222 views)
Shortcut

Beginners , take your TR test (part V)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Ok guys, test part V

you got two anchors, both are constructed from the exact same protections. Two cams on each side with one nut in the center.

#1 anchor has the nut directly attached to a biner where your TR goes. A 7 mm dynamic cord is linking both cams to power point via fig 8.

#2 anchor is just like #1 except the nut has been placed little higher and the same 7mm dynamic cord been used to attached all protection to master point with a fig 8 knot.

Keep in mind that all tensions were perfectly equalized in both #1 and #2 anchors before the fig 8 was placed in power point.

Question;

1-If sh*t his the fan and your partner takes a nice fall, which anchor may have a better chance to survive ( if any) ?

2- explain how you came up with your answer

note; please no need to explain that you normally build your anchor with webbing or this type of cord vs. that model sling blah blah blah. This is all you had to build your anchor and what you see here is what you got.

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

[URL=http://imageshack.us]

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Mar 5, 2008, 9:25 AM)

sbaclimber

Mar 5, 2008, 9:50 AM
Post #2 of 15 (3211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Beginners , take your TR test (part V) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As I am not a beginner, I will not ruin it for others, but......

Where are you getting 7mm dynamic cord from? I thought most 7mm and below would be static!?

dbrayack

Mar 5, 2008, 11:26 AM
Post #3 of 15 (3195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Beginners , take your TR test (part V) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My tent came with some.

Mike805

Mar 5, 2008, 4:47 PM
Post #4 of 15 (3157 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So is this a TR (Top Rope) test or a TR (TRad) test? I don't see why a beginner should have to know how to set up cams and nuts for a top rope but whatever...

Once again the picture is kind of confusing and the question kind of vague but I guess I'll give it a try.

#1 anchor is statically equalized between the cams with a nut attached directly to the power point, as I see it. Once the dynamic rope stretches it's going to put the majority of the load on the piece that isn't connected via the dynamic rope, the nut. This is a very poor anchor in my opinion.

#2 anchor is also statically equalized via a cordelette with a figure eight power point (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). This is a better set up but I still wouldn't run it. The load distribution is entirely dependent on the length of the ears and since the anchor cams and nuts are not on the same plane it means that it will never be optimally equalized. Using an equalette or putting in a sliding x somewhere to make it more dynamically equalized would be the better way to tie off from 3 points.

So to answer your question, between those 2 anchors I would choose #2, although in real life I wouldn't use either.

majid_sabet

Mar 5, 2008, 6:12 PM
Post #5 of 15 (3098 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Mike805] Beginners , take your TR test (part V) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mike805 wrote:
So is this a TR (Top Rope) test or a TR (TRad) test? I don't see why a beginner should have to know how to set up cams and nuts for a top rope but whatever...

Once again the picture is kind of confusing and the question kind of vague but I guess I'll give it a try.

#1 anchor is statically equalized between the cams with a nut attached directly to the power point, as I see it. Once the dynamic rope stretches it's going to put the majority of the load on the piece that isn't connected via the dynamic rope, the nut. This is a very poor anchor in my opinion.

#2 anchor is also statically equalized via a cordelette with a figure eight power point (I think, correct me if I'm wrong). This is a better set up but I still wouldn't run it. The load distribution is entirely dependent on the length of the ears and since the anchor cams and nuts are not on the same plane it means that it will never be optimally equalized. Using an equalette or putting in a sliding x somewhere to make it more dynamically equalized would be the better way to tie off from 3 points.

So to answer your question, between those 2 anchors I would choose #2, although in real life I wouldn't use either.

So you think by using an equalette or putting in a sliding x, the #2 anchor becomes superior to what you see right now ?

Is there anyone else agree or disagree with Mike805 statement ?

majid_sabet

Mar 5, 2008, 6:17 PM
Post #6 of 15 (3086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Beginners , take your TR test (part V) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sbaclimber wrote:

Where are you getting 7mm dynamic cord from? I thought most 7mm and below would be static!?

n00b ,sit and take the test

http://www.buckscountyoutfitters.com/...c-Prusik-Cord-Spool/

http://www.amazon.com/...K-CORD/dp/B000CQ5X0O

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Mar 5, 2008, 6:20 PM)

shockabuku

Mar 5, 2008, 6:21 PM
Post #7 of 15 (3073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
...where your TR goes.

1-If sh*t his the fan and your partner takes a nice fall, which anchor may have a better chance to survive ( if any) ?

WTF is a nice fall on TR?

sbaclimber

Mar 5, 2008, 8:34 PM
Post #8 of 15 (3017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
sbaclimber wrote:

n00b ,sit and take the test

http://www.buckscountyoutfitters.com/...c-Prusik-Cord-Spool/

http://www.amazon.com/...K-CORD/dp/B000CQ5X0O
I may be a n00b, but I am still not a beginnerWink
Btw, Majid, you might want to read the info on the page behind that second link a bit more carefully...
In reply to:
For prussik loops only, not for climbing anchors.
So who's the n00b now, n00b!?Sly

majid_sabet

Mar 5, 2008, 8:51 PM
Post #9 of 15 (2996 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Beginners , take your TR test (part V) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
...where your TR goes.

I took a 15 footer once and almost decked cause my belayer was picking up girls in the local crag and did not pay attention in taking slack.

shockabuku

Mar 5, 2008, 9:00 PM
Post #10 of 15 (2979 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That almost sucks (as in almost decked); but the real issue here is: were they hot?

Partner j_ung

Mar 5, 2008, 9:18 PM
Post #11 of 15 (2957 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
...where your TR goes.

I took a 15 footer once and almost decked cause my belayer was picking up girls in the local crag and did not pay attention in taking slack.

Perhaps you should likewise begin paying attention to girls.

reno

Mar 5, 2008, 9:32 PM
Post #12 of 15 (2942 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Beginners , take your TR test (part V) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
shockabuku wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
...where your TR goes.

Perhaps you should likewise begin paying attention to girls.

Apparently he was, rather than paying attention to his rope system.

Mike805

Mar 6, 2008, 7:25 AM
Post #13 of 15 (2875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
So you think by using an equalette or putting in a sliding x, the #2 anchor becomes superior to what you see right now ?

Do I think it would make this particular system better..?... Yes. Would it make it an atomic bomb proof anchor...? ....no.

Is this a top rope test or a trad test? When do I find out my test score?

jamincan

Mar 6, 2008, 2:47 PM
Post #14 of 15 (2850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Mike805 wrote:

I'm not familiar with the equalette, but the main problem with using a sliding x would be extension if one anchor were to break. Of course, that could easily be limited by adding knots to the sliding x to limit the extension.

fattsmann

Mar 11, 2008, 3:15 PM
Post #15 of 15 (2707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First post on this forum, so first a big "hello" and thanks to the community for the wealth of information on this forum.

My take on this problem:
First, what are the failure strengths of the objects:

Biners: ~20kN

Dynamic 7mm rope in cordelette formation: ~20kN based on 7mm Sterling Rope in Moyer, et al. 2000 "Comparative Testing of High Strength Cord" with some kind of dynamic stretch... so there is some force dissipation.

Nut: ~10-13kN based on Vogwell, et al. 2006 "The safety of rock climbing protection devices under falling loads"

Cam: ~10-13kN as well.

Top rope max impact force? Say 10kN?

In a 3 point anchoring system, the middle anchor (in these cases, the nut in both examples) feels approximately 50% of the load felt on the system (Beverly, et al. "Multi-point pre-equalized anchoring systems").

So say we have a horrible fall, the top rope will absorb some of the forces and transmit a max impact force of 10 kN x 2 = 20kN to the central biner in the anchoring system. In anchor #1, the middle nut will feel 10kN directly on the protection piece, whereas the cams will feel less due to the placement and dynamic stretching of the 7mm cord. Nut may fail.

In the same situation, anchor#2 should transmit less force to the nut due to the dynamic cord stretch and should survive better than in anchor #1.

So my pick is anchor setup #2, all pieces with dynamic cord.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook