RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

linvillelover

Mar 10, 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2522 views)
Shortcut

slackline failure
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do?, and how/ where do slacklines break?

my guess is that single strand of webbing is 4600 lbs breaking strength,

the singler locker on either end connecting to the anchor webbing is well over 4600 lbs strong. and the webbing doubled and wrapped around the tree on either end and clipped to the biner is at least 4x the individual strand strength, minus a little for the bend over the biner.

this leaves me to think the point of failure will be the clove hitch on the non pulley/ friction end of the line.

this is better than a biner flying with the broken portion, but how violently does this webbing break under tension?

is someone going to lose an arm when the webbing slingshots back?

am i wrong for worrying

kyleshea

Mar 10, 2008, 5:59 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [linvillelover] slackline failure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

linvillelover wrote:
Do?, and how/ where do slacklines break?

my guess is that single strand of webbing is 4600 lbs breaking strength,

the singler locker on either end connecting to the anchor webbing is well over 4600 lbs strong. and the webbing doubled and wrapped around the tree on either end and clipped to the biner is at least 4x the individual strand strength, minus a little for the bend over the biner.

this leaves me to think the point of failure will be the clove hitch on the non pulley/ friction end of the line.

this is better than a biner flying with the broken portion, but how violently does this webbing break under tension?

is someone going to lose an arm when the webbing slingshots back?

am i wrong for worrying

broke a piece of webbing once, had a small hole in it and it finally snapped. didnt replace it originally due to laziness. it was a 20 meter line under tension, and although i was not on the recieving end of the webbing slap, it wasnt too bad. wouldnt expect it to break unless the webbing is compomised though.
also seen a biner snap on a line that had been under tension for a couple of months. it was a brand new locker when the line was rigged. luckily nobody got impaled by that one. back your system up and regularly inspect for problems. i do, now.

Partner slacklinejoe

Mar 11, 2008, 1:16 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes slacklines do break. The most common culprit I see are:
Extreme tri-loaded carabiners
Carabiners where the gates aren't shut
Webbing that gets heavily abraded from insufficent padding

For a typical line where it is not mounted permanently, UV, dirt and such are insignificant the big ones to watch for are abrasion or nylon on nylon melting. That said, incorrect usage of carabiners can result in far more spectacular failures but that can easily be avoided.

richardvg03

Mar 12, 2008, 1:46 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My line popped on me while I was standing on it... the only thing that happen was i fell 2 feet to the ground and landed perfectly on my feet...

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook